Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: grounded?
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Thank You ,
I called pertronix and gave him the Delco Remy distributer number to make sure the part is right before I order the points eliminator system ;"1110125 (space) 2f25 ". The guy looked it up said thats a 6 cylinder distributer .Interesting ,,he said sometime if someone was rebuilding a distributer ,they might grab a 6 cylinder case on put 8 cylinder internals in it .The cap has 8 cups for distributer wires to plugs ,which fits just right ,it seems to work ok .
the timing was way off when I got the car ,and the mechanic had to take it out and replace it so he could get the 6dbtdc ,it was way advanced
I was wondering if the guy didnt know some of the packard ephemera that you are all so famous for on the informative site ! He requested a photo to make sure everything will fit .my car has a mysterious history as its supposed to have a 288 and has a 327 hydrolic lifter inline 8 ,Im going to have to get one of those paternaty tests!

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I will run a ground strap from the motor block to the fire wall ,Thank You !

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
i remember the metal sleeve on intallation of the unit I didnt know what it was for at the time there is a black wire from the harness that goes to the frame of the voltage regulator ,I guessed that this was aground ,it looks like it goes through the harness to a screw into the generator body

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
the battery idiot light shines brightly at the time that the ignition is on and engine not running ,Im guessing like it should ,and does not shine when running at low rpms and moderate rpm ,faint glow at higher rpms that gets brighter when extra accesories are added ,my guess is that no one knows how to rebuild a generator anymore and tha the brushes cant keep up with the freeway ,dancing on the armeture and frying a bit at a time ,Im going to try the 6 v alternator trick as this is my 4th rebuild comming up
.Someone said a genious thing about the bushings on the heater blower motor being out,smart ,I took off the motor and watched it spin it didnt squeek but also didnt run with much speed or authority, and I certainly dont feel much comming from the floorboard vents ,I had replaced the core and ducts, as well as hoses and waterpump so this bushing phenonenon would explain a lot of nonaction ,along with a grounding issue too ,good pick up from the threads!!

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
there is some sort of typical braided ground strap that seemed to go to the antenna from the firewall and I thought i was part of the antenna grounding ,maby this is the strap ,
I recall a loose wire at the generator bracket a couple of generators ago ,maby this was the neglected ground wire! It doesnt seem to critical where the ground wires are as long as they are there ,in they go! Ill try the generator bracket to the left headlamp terminal if i can find that ,where is it ,Looks like AI need to check to see if the battery ground onto the engine has green paint under it ,making it not have continuity ,doesnt sound like the frame is too much of a problem ,where would a body frome line go? THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP

Posted on: 2012/1/23 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That braid on the antenna wire is the shield for antenna lead in. It is a ground but not part of the ground circuit we are dealing with now.

There shouldn't be any green paint on the wires. Ground wire on generator should be black and go from the screw on the generator pictured to possibly a bolt on engine nearby and then to one of the mounting screws holding the headlight terminal strip onto the fender. It may just go directly into harness and straight from gen to terminal strip. Another wire or two should also be connected to that same headlight terminal strip mounting screw. One would go directly to regulator.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.35 KB)
209_4f1dde3c9d171.jpg 460X584 px

jpg  (14.02 KB)
209_4f1dde446e49d.jpg 534X399 px

jpg  (17.21 KB)
209_4f1dde4ba7902.jpg 600X433 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thank you for the pictures ,ground from the genny to the light block looks fine but there isnt on to the engine ,bmaby ill run a piece from the generator gtound down to the bracket to get it to the engine bleck
doesnt look like my pulley on the generator is a stock one it looks more modern like someone put on an alternator pulley and the diameter of the pulley is smaller that the one on pic you provided ,Someone had mentioned that an innaproperiate sized pulley could be the sourse of my repeted generator failures I TOOK A PIC iMNOT SURE HOW TO GET A PICTURE ON THE SITE

Posted on: 2012/1/23 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the pulley is too small, then yes the gen could be over revving. No need to run another wire to engine from gen. It already has the mounting bolts. That shown in pict is an optional connection -- probably for a different brand gen.

To post your picture, have it on your computer and click the browse button under the post or reply window. Another window will open. Find your photo, highlight it and click OK in that window and then click on attach file next to the browse button. After a short time, the name of the pict should show under the browse and attach file buttons. Once your post is complete, click submit and all will be posted. The picture must be smaller than 2 meg -- 25K to 500K is best -- and to see it without having to download, needs to be a .jpg.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 18:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
heres a pic of the generator ,my first try getting a shot in ,ill send a car pic too ,ADVANCED!

Attach file:

jpg  (31.06 KB)
2990_4f1dea337e376.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
heres that car ! sorry it took me somany years to get this advanced

Attach file:

jpg  (40.93 KB)
2990_4f1deab78617d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 18:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved