Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Restoring 1946 Deluxe Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Now you're talking. These cars deserve the best. And you
know Packard would've done what you suggest had they not been in a desperate fight against GM's slicker marketing of lesser product, immediate postwar sellers' market notwithstanding.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Just to set the record straight. If the data plate attached to the cowl is stamped 2112 you have a 47 Deluxe Clipper. The 46 Deluxe Clipper 4dr sedan ,touring is a 1612. As with the Super Clipper only two interior styles were available. One was a multi-stripped broadcloth and the othe a houndstooth broadcloth. I have one of each.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Very interesting and informative, albeit slightly opinionated, discourse there, Su8. I'm all for upgrading whenever it seems possible.

My question pertains to inadvertent downgrading, when subjected to misinformation.

In my phone conversation with a gentleman named Chuck at SMS, I was informed that my '48 Super Eight would have had a cotton headliner, which is what they sell for $249.

I'm not a fabric expert, but the aged material that remains in my auto sure looks like wool to me.

Can you please make an informed comment?

Additionally, I'm not going to replace my Egyptian with a Cormorant/Pelican/Swan, but I will substitute my original Packard Blue Metallic with a more modern Porsche Nachtblau, and plan on buying the widest 7.00/R15 whitewalls I can find.

I like upgrades.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:58
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Nice '46 Deluxe, there, 46 deluxe!

Posted on: 2012/5/22 21:02
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's your car to do with as you please, but i respectively think there is a difference between using a carpet that was used in another model and the paint issue. There are some modern paints that use the smaller sized aluminum flake of the original colors, but modern big Al flakes, Xirillics, micas, etc do not look authentic at all to me. I'm not familiar with the exact one you are interested in but be careful that you are not unintentionally getting a downgrade to rod painting instead of an "upgrade."

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
My car is a 1612, thanks for the clarification. Have you found a good source for either the multi-stripped or houndstooth broadcloth that is a good reproduction?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Dr. Kazmer's sooo right about the paint. Packard had plenty of nice, understated colors. So when you see something with retrorod metalflake, ad nauseum, on an otherwise nice car, it's just sad. And dumb.

On the upholstery, '46, call Armand, as i suggested earlier in this thread at 1 (925) 934-4373. If he can't help you, no one can.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I agree with Dr. Kazmer regarding paint colors. I would never put a coarse metallic on a Packard. The color I'm referring to is the closest modern day color that I have found to the original Packard blue metallic that's on my car.

I agree that large aluminum particle colors are out of place on a classic automobile. The modern metallic effect in today's paints is obtained by the use of fine pearls, and it is much closer to the early fine metallics. I don't know of any modern colors today that use large, coarse aluminum, except for some silver metallic colors used on some of the less expensive Asian autos.

Metalflake colors, which are transparent pigments applied over an extremely coarse flake base, were common in the sixties in custom applications and continued to be used in the Fiberglas boat industry for many years. The metalflake base is so coarse, it requires multiple coats of clear and many hours of wet sanding to level the finish. Anyone using metalflake on a Packard... well, I'd rather not say.

There are pearl based color formulas out there that are tasteful, and look as though they would have been used by Packard had they been available back then. The color I plan on using is understated, and closely resembles the original color which was almost black in appearance. That's why it's called Nachtblau, or Midnight Blue.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 13:15
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
hey guys, thanks for the honorary doctorate.

I only half agree on the pearl - yes, it uses mica (often coated) but the effect is different than fine aluminum. It's certainly closer than big flake. The "travel" with angle and light is different. I have found some modern colors based on fine aluminum that are decent matches for 1941. Honda and GM had some. Beware Xirillic Honda colors - they look subdued until the travel "flash" which is bass boat level.
There were some old pearls (pre-war) based on fish scales!
Sounds like you're on the way to an attractive finish

Posted on: 2012/5/23 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I think this color will work. I've been painting cars professionally since 1976, and know my way around a mixing room.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Su8 has been known to confer degrees upon unsuspecting folks, and even to ordain a fellow here and there. I'm starting to understand it as a term of endearment.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:34
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved