Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 263

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: help with 53 cavilier!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
i went to drive it in high it runs and moves for the most part in low it moves then slowly starts to kill the motor?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 21:21
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
how would i check that? is there a good adative i can put in to help clear it out?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 21:22
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe Packard ever had a complete all in one place vacuum line diagram.

If you have power brakes there will be a large fitting containing a check valve on the intake manifold. An approx 3/8 hose goes across the firewall to a tee fitting. One line drops down and connects to power brake and other continues on to a canister on the L fender.

The distributor has a metal tube which comes across the top of engine to base of carb.

If you still have the old fuel pump, the wiper vacuum starts at carb or intake manifold and goes via a 1/4 metal tube to top of pump and then out of pump via another metal tube to rear of engine where it connects to wiper motor via hose. There may be a short length of hose between metal tubes and pump. If the pump has been removed, the wiper will connect directly to the carb or intake manifold. In that case, most just connect a length of hose between the two metal tubes where the pump was.

If you have a windshield washer, the vacuum source for that is on the wiper motor, drivers side.

There was another rare option of a rear wiper but doubt you have one. That pretty much sums it for vacuum in 53.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 21:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
thanks so much im going to take a look and ill check back.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 21:44
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
what is the canister for? i see the two old lines you were talking about i put a hose on them i see where the hose runs along to the tee shich is on the drivers side with one side running under the car and the other to the canister? what am i missing here?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:29
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
also the vaccume to my wipers is connected to the passanger side? theres a fitting on the drivers aswell??

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:33
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The canister is a vacuum reservoir for the power brakes. Stores a large amount of vacuum for a smooth and solid assisted brake application. As long as the check valve works, keeps some vacuum in reserve for a power application or two when engine is off.

Passenger side connection for wiper supply is correct. Apparently your car does not have the windshield washer (large glass jar on L fender) or there would have been another fitting.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
NEW INFO: i was driving it back and fowarth down my street and it started moving better so i drove a few blocks as soon as the motor opened up a little it started to sputter and turn off.. this makes me think clogged fuel but it will literally fire back up and drive again and it doesnt die everytime just after a longer push of rpms. can some one explain to me what gears i should be using and when i should shift.. its a two speed automatic//

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:36
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I don't know how much you have run that engine, but make sure the plugs aren't fouled. That would happen to my brother's malibu, ran fine at idle, but horribly when accelerating.

-GearRat

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:43
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
H is the normal way to use the trans. It is a one speed trans for all practical or normal purposes. Starts and stays in high. Depending on throttle position and speed (anywhere from 15 to maybe 45) it stays in converter. Once the calculated speed point as determined by throttle and governor is reached, the converter locks out and you are in direct drive -- essentially like a stick trans. When you slow down, at about 11 mph the direct drive drops out and you are back in high range converter.

Low was to be used for emergency and heavy pulling only. Works the same. Starts and stays in low and depending on needed speed point, again will go into direct drive.

Some have got into the habit of starting in low then shifting to high for a snappier takeoff from a stop. This was not recommended because the regular Ultra wasn't designed to work this way. If shifted under torque, can cause clutch plate wear and damage as internal parts move and apply uncontrolled. There is no L to H shift timing as was finally developed in the gear start & twin Ultras. If you do shift this way, let off on the gas while making the shift so it's not done under power.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved