Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 25 »

Re: Kanter's 1952 Packard Limo Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The new shocks that are being installed. We are Doing it once and doing it right.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.51 KB)
4769_57dc42724a114.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/9/16 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
All the parts that are seen we have available. Many are brand new production

Attach file:

jpg  (180.94 KB)
4769_57dc42c180897.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/9/16 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Installation of the new shocks.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.20 KB)
4769_57dc42f44297a.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/9/16 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Fred has made the decision to add power steering to the limo to ease the effort in steering and safety.In a concession to originality. All parts are individually cleaned, blasted and individually painted to replicate factory look and finish.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.74 KB)
4769_57e40425c30d2.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/9/22 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Great project I'm following with distinct interest.

Surprising that Worman didn't added power steering when it became available in the early years these four limousines were in service. Chauffeurs either didn't find them hard to handle, or if they did and complained, the owners just ignored them. Good idea to added it now, for maneuverability and safety, just doing what dealers would have done then to accommodate the customer.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/9/22 14:06
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if dealers ever did any steering conversions when PS became available. If so probably not many since unlike the power brakes, don't believe Packard ever offered a kit to do it the factory way. As it would have meant changing the box and all that work rather than just bolting on the power stuff maybe they figured it would not be a popular enough upgrade to put a kit together.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The only car I ever drive without Power Steering is our 25,000 mile '52 Patrician factory show car.......and it's a bear to drive if not on a straight road. Windy hilly roads are a bear and the lock to lock is forever. The PS setup I was going to install fell victim to the Limo.

When I drove my first car, a 37 120C, it felt like it had power steering and we just had a customer in this week to show off his 120C. He confirmed that it is a breeze to steer. The king pins/bushings/knuckles are nearly identical on the 37 and 53, I wonder just what Packard "lost" over the years. Then again the other thing that might have changed are my biceps and elbows??

Any thoughts??

Posted on: 2016/9/22 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Adding power steering was a great decision! I've also been following this project with great interest as it's more of a recreation than it is a restoration due to the poor condition of the original car. I can hardly wait to see it completed as I'm sure it will be beautiful!

When I added power steering to my 1952 Henney-Packard which was much longer, weighed over three tons and had 16" tires to move, I did not change the gearbox as it never occurred to me that they were different. However, the arm was longer with power steering and I did change that. The end result was not only far easier to steer but also, due to the longer arm, had a smaller turning radius.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
fredkanter Quote:
Then again the other thing that might have changed are my biceps and elbows??

I think you are on to something there Fred. I have the same problem.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/22 14:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I have endeavored to do as exact a restoration as possible. When I look at restored cars and see high gloss black enamel on generators, air cleaners and suspension arms I am disappointed. While I do not have any of my cars judged for points I think that 100 point cars with black glossy stuff under the hood should get 60 points as that is not the way the cars were made.

We have won many "non judged" trophies over the years such as most original and best design, but those trophies really do not belong to us, they belong to the designers at E. Grand Boulevard and the owners before us who carefully preserved the cars.

This limousine is different, we took on the challenge (to say the least) to restore the Dietrich designed vehicle and therefor preserve a significant part of automotive history.

I'm doing 90% of the work with my own hands, every day I'm at the sandblast cabinet, then painting with either semi-gloss black, cast blast grey for cast parts or alumi-blast for sheet metal parts that were cad plated, brass fittings are not high polished or polished at all, just cleaned up.

The original shocks were still on the car, Delco spirals of which we used to have 1000's. The fronts are the same as 49-54 Chev and I found a pair on ebay, looking for rears still.

The front suspension/steering with 45,00 miles needed absolutely no new parts except for tie rod end boots. Obviously the car was well maintained.

It's always a joy to work on a Packard, even one that spent many years in a junkyard. The chassis needs about 3 more hours and it's done done done.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 16:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved