Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 155

BDeB, moodydavid16, humanpotatohybrid, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Re: BTV rebuild kit concerns check your compensator vale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I hope that Eric's material isn't deleted. The coherency of the blogs withoutedit his input might be distorted. I suspect that with time we may see him again in the cyber future. Perhaps as Sparticus II. This is the call of the Webmaster.

Posted on: 2010/11/25 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Packard V8

Not sure if you're referring to me, but read my post carefully, I didn't request Eric's participation. I reported his evasion from answering a question and his failure to fulfill a promise to post a video of a BTV rebulild. Reading many past posts this does not seem unusual.

Now that the posts have "righted" themselves we can all examine the subjects and help each other to find solutions instead of untangling half-truths.

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/25 16:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher
See User information
To Packard V8

Thanks I will look him up and my starliner is a 53 Stude hardtop .

Regards Chris

Posted on: 2010/11/25 18:05

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred Kanter - you might want to check out Ross Miller's nicely done program on rebuilding the Bendix TreadleVac. It's on this site, go to "Literature and Manuals" and then to "Tech Tips".

Posted on: 2010/11/25 18:20

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Can we get back to the problem at hand rather that who said what, or made accusations, as to the average user here on the website that doesn't really bare any fruit to the problem at hand.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/11/26 1:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Owen:

Thanks for the lead to Ross Miller's excellent article, as I've said I'm new here and don't know my way around. I do have some suggestions for improving a few points , how do I get in touch with Ross??

Here they are:

In cleaning any part of the hydraulic section DO NOT USE ANY PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS. no GAS, CRC, WD-40, SAFETY KLEEN, SOLVENTS, THINNERS ETC. No matter how well you might clean the aluminum casting afterwards, some solvent may remain in the pores and deteriorate the rubber seals with failure as a result.

I use alcohol only which I buy in the supermarket

If the vacuum cylinder is rusted it must be cleaned up to insure that the piston will move smoothly, I use Scotchbrite
Instead of using an ATF/STP mixture to lube the packing, I use brake assembly fluid which is specifically formulated for brake cylinders. Coat the entire inside and it will protect it from rusting and put it on the packing also. This oil is formulated to have a stable "thickness" over a wide range of temperatures such as enconred in a car.

I use brake assembly fluid also on the metal clad seal, the article just says to lubricate it and shows a brown grease like chassis grease. Chassis grease is petroleum based and although the possibility is slim it will come in contact with the brake fluid seals I make it a practice not to use it in such applications.

Happy and safe motoring!

Posted on: 2010/11/26 10:17

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred, if you don't already know Ross Miller, I'd be a bit surprised - he's a PAC Member, regularly seen at PAC events in the area, and runs a very highly regarded Packard service facility down in Maryland. Certainly Dan knowns him. You can PM him directly from this site, or his contact info is in your PAC Directory.

On the vacuum cylinder of Bragg-Kliesrath brake booster cylinders I use neatsfoot oil to treat the leather (if it doesn't need replacement), and then also use vacuum grease. I believe it was Randy Berger who recently suggested using a engine cylinder hone to clean and polish the vacuum cylinder walls on the BTV to produce a clean, smooth surface. Seems like a good method, when needed.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 10:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen writes:
"Fred, if you don't already know Ross Miller, I'd be a bit surprised - he's a PAC Member, regularly seen at PAC events in the area, and runs a very highly regarded Packard service facility down in Maryland. Certainly Dan knowns him. You can PM him directly from this site, or his contact info is in your PAC Directory."

Since the beginning of the "Fred Kanter" screen name appearence i've been wondering if that is the REAL Fred Kanter of KAP that we all know and like or maybe just an imposter ????

Maybe someone who knows the REAL Fred Kanter or his brother Dan should call him to verify.

Mite be best to call brother Dan Kanter. I don't know.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 11:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Owen writes:
"Fred, if you don't already know Ross Miller, I'd be a bit surprised - he's a PAC Member, regularly seen at PAC events in the area, and runs a very highly regarded Packard service facility down in Maryland. Certainly Dan knowns him. You can PM him directly from this site, or his contact info is in your PAC Directory."

Since the beginning of the "Fred Kanter" screen name appearence i've been wondering if that is the REAL Fred Kanter of KAP that we all know and like or maybe just an imposter ????

Maybe someone who knows the REAL Fred Kanter or his brother Dan should call him to verify.

Mite be best to call brother Dan Kanter. I don't know.

Seeing that the Fred Kanter posting here joined the forum two and a half years ago, that would be a pretty elaborate conspiracy theory.

But who knows...anything is possible and perhaps the "impostor" is hovering overhead and posting from his Black Helicopter. ;<]

Posted on: 2010/11/26 14:35

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rest assured, Fred is Fred. No need for secret meetings in dark parking lots or elaborate cloak and dagger call signs.

But as suggested, I wouldn't mind seeing Dan participating as well. The more the merrier. Always nice to get the straight scoop on parts provided from vendors straight from the source rather than 2nd, 3rd, or 4th person speculation.

Along those same lines, I wouldn't mind the Max Merritt guys or Bill Hirsch folks or any other vendor to chime in either on any threads related to the parts they carry.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 14:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved