Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

Ozstatman, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 116 117 118 (119) 120 121 122 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That website I linked to has some cross references. I see an Osram and maybe one or two other European mfgs.

One thing to watch out for on a cross is the glass size. The 210 they list as a US alternative has a larger glass and may not fit inside the courtesy light housing assy but would work fine for the dome light. Minor little things like that.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Looking into the bulb situation in Holland now. Should be possible to buy them, although maybe in a more specialized network like for medical equipment.

In my opinion there is no real housing for the courtesy lamp under the dash, just the fitting, am I right? So I hope a different size of bulb glass should not present a problem.

Hans

Posted on: 2011/3/11 3:00
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ones I've seen on senior cars have about a 2 inch diameter slightly rounded frosted glass lens cover over the bottom to protect the bulb and finish off the assy. Maybe Clippers are different.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is no bulb cover on the under dash light. Just a bare socket that is welded to a angle bracket that attaches to a hole on the bottom edge of the dash. The bulb points towards the firewall and is basically right under the radio. So the bulb glass shape is not really a concern as long as you have the correct bulb socket size and Candle rating.

You can really use the same bulb that is in the dome light.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Kev. Sounds as if they really did go "inexpensive" on the Clipper.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks again guys. I'll dive into the depths of the internet to find the right bulb type, already have the bracket reattached to the dash.
We (my wife and I) just came in from a nice tour to Vlissingen (Flushing), about 80 miles. The speedometer/odometer works fine if not a little optimistic. But probably the different tyre circumference is the cause of this, no problem to me. Happy that that instrument also cam to live. And that little clock keeps ticking the hours away... To compensate for the speedometer it is a little on the pessimistic side. Together they form the ideal couple.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 11:18
Hans

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Drove the Clipper twice today. Once to parts store to track down a new thermostat, and another time to drop my daughter off somewhere.

When I have let the car warmup in the garage to temp, and also when driving it, the temp hovers at about the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge. Jim had asked me what temp thermostat I was running when he came out in January. I said 180, as that is what the Stant catalog showed for my car. He suggested I run with a 160. After doing a little more checking, per the parts book, the Packard spec'd thermostat was 170. So it took looking at a few different part stores before I found a 160 thermostat in stock. (Packard 51-54, 160f Stant Super Stat p/n 45356). So after a swap out at home with the new one, she is running running dead center in the middle of the temp gauge. After driving my daughter a couple of miles to drop her off, it was still dead center in the middle of the gauge. So I think a 160 is perfect. Good suggestion Jim!

Also checking the back and front of the engine with the IR thermometer, it was showing the motor was always hovering right at the Thermostat temp, and the difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark on the dash gauge is 20 degrees.

My daughter at first didn't believe that I was going to drop her off in the Packard, as the last and one time she ever drove in it with me, it was still smoking really bad, and died on us. Also the holes in the floor were scary to her, and the rat-fested interior was still in the car. Now with floor mats down, my recovered seats in place, the nasty door panels removed, and a fuel tank free of crud, the trip was without incident. No choking smoke, or sudden stalls from fuel starvation. Though driving a car without any weather stripping in place makes for a drafty, creaky, shuddering ride.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 21:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad to hear you are getting some enjoyment out of driving after all the work you've put into it. Carry a camera and take pics of the open-mouthed stares you'll get.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 22:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
She gets a lot of attention...I think it's because not many people see a 50 year old car driving around in bare metal everyday, so that stares are many. Some days I think it would be cool to do all the rust repairs, and then just spray the entire car in just clear and be done with it!

Just call it the "Stripper Clipper"

Posted on: 2011/3/12 23:12
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
I would strongly recommend that... At a VW meeting I saw some cars (Beetle, Karmann Ghia) that underwent this treatment. Niiiiice!!

Posted on: 2011/3/13 6:03
Hans

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 116 117 118 (119) 120 121 122 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved