Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Bingo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 148 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Not directly related to Packards, but we finally did some paving on our property. Up until now it was all gravel. It made it very dusty in the summer, very icy in the winter, and very muddy in the spring. Lots of gravel and dirt all over the garage and shop.

The asphalt will minimize those problems (though we still have several hundred yards of gravel to reach our property). And we were able to extend the pad in front of the shop. It'll be much easier to get vehicles in and out of the shop now.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Shop driveway.jpg (203.87 KB)
1059_652f40a9c15ed.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Shop parking pad.jpg (209.58 KB)
1059_652f40fc4f857.jpg 1300X975 px

Posted on: 2023/10/17 21:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Asphalt melts off ice and snow much quicker than concrete!

Posted on: 2023/10/17 21:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Asphalt melts off ice and snow much quicker than concrete!

Definitely! Concrete doesn't do so hot here during the winter. Frost heave and salt tend to damage it. The black color of the asphalt should melt off the snow and ice easily. The kids will appreciate more space to ride bikes and play during the winter too.

Posted on: 2023/10/17 21:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Our previous house had a brick paver driveway. It looked nice, but was a pain in the ass to shovel in the winter.

Posted on: 2023/10/17 22:02
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Our previous house had a brick paver driveway. It looked nice, but was a pain in the ass to shovel in the winter.

Gravel had the same problem. I could only plow the the snow above the gravel, leaving about an inch sitting on/in the gravel. That would freeze into ice and get worse throughout the winter. Then a mud pit in the spring. No fun.

Bricks sound like a nightmare.

Posted on: 2023/10/17 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wish I could do that at my shop but the best I could do is the driveway. The roads themselves are gravel for about a mile to the first paved road.

Posted on: 2023/10/18 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I ordered some windlace samples from Restoration Specialties. I'm looking at projects for the winter, and windlace is one of them (as is removal of the dash in order to install the windlace). They sent around 6 samples of different blues and I narrowed it down to these three. I figure if I match/blend to the blue on the door panels that it will look good.

The carpet is dark blue, but it just doesn't look right against the doors.

Not sure which one I'm going to go with yet.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Windlace samples.jpg (422.36 KB)
1059_6549966465136.jpg 1300X1733 px

Posted on: 2023/11/6 20:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You don't have to remove the entire dash to install the windlace. You can loosen the bolts at the bottom corners and that should give you enough wiggle room to install it.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 18:43
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
You don't have to remove the entire dash to install the windlace. You can loosen the bolts at the bottom corners and that should give you enough wiggle room to install it.

That's good to know. I'm debating back and forth now on whether or not I want to remove completely. I'm going to be pulling the rest of the interior trim, steering wheel, and steering column to repaint. I've paint matched to the glove box, so theoretically it should match the dash. But my dash has some imperfections in the paint, so a repaint would be nice. But then again, it is original and maybe it's nice to keep a piece original??

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/7 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Looking ahead to having the seats redone at some point. Originally the upper parts of the seats were done with leather in Ivory (according to the parts list). What are guys using when having the upholstery redone? Are they using dyed leather or vinyl?

The vinyl used for the headliner is a match for the original. I used the same vinyl for the door panels. I don't think the door panels were leather on the original....maybe? So were the seats the only leather used?

Click to see original Image in a new window

-Kevin

Posted on: 12/1 23:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 148 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved