Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There has been enough written about this oil pump and its contribution to the V8 lubrication issues to fill a good-sized book. I personally believe that the Packard revisions to the oil pump (pressure relief valve) were attempts to solve a problem that never existed in the first place. Yes, a better-engineered pump might have had an upper bushing, yet the pump from my 90,000 mile V8 shows no appreciable wear at the shaft and still produces great oil pressure, more than 35 psi at hot idle and over 40 at road speed. My personal belief is that among the revisions to improve lubrication that Packard made (changes in rocker arm oil holes, changes to cam plate and timing chain lubrication, higher capacity lifters, etc.) they missed one -- the floating oil intake screen should have been mounted a bit lower in the pan, and this explains why so many high mileage V8s have quieter lifters when running 1/2 quart over full on crankcase oil. In any case the debate over the oil pump will go on for as long as Packard V8s are on the road.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen. Tell us more about your 90K mile pump. Does it have the vacuum pump on it???? Are u sure it has an actual 90K miles or maybe someone replaced it before u got the car???? Maybe it's an Aller or PI modified pump???

Posted on: 2007/12/10 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it still has the vacuum pump attached and functioning. It has no bushing in the top so it hasn't been modified but I can't say that's it's never been replaced though indications are that the engine has ever been apart. The pump does not have the "opium pipe" fix to the relief valve but instead has the threaded plug.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 23:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, next time you drop the pan, note the casting number on the oil pump. Perhaps it's a late pump or the intermediate one as I found on the Carib.
Word from the shop is the block has been vatted, baked and shot-peened. The crank is going to be cut .020 on the mains and throws and bored out .020 also. We are looking at rebuilding one lobe on the cam and polishing it or getting a reworked cam. The heads were in really good shape and only .002 was shaved off. Hardened valve seats to be installed on the exhaust ports.
I'm leaving for Minnesota shortly to spend Christmas with family up there. No SA remarks about going North for the winter I usually go up there for Thanksgiving but traded off this year. My grandson just got his drivers license so I'll get him to take me out in his pickup truck and spin some donuts I remember teaching myself how to drive in the snow by doing that late at night in a big parking lot. I learned to drive in SoCal so had to learn all about driving in the snow on my own.
I'm really enjoying the forum as we get more and more people contributing to it. I've received a lot of help from other Packard owners and it's great to see newcomers being assisted with their problems.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 0:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

Interesting that you bring up the intake screen.

My father (who was a mechanic in a Packard dealership) taught me, as part of the oil change ritual, to take a piece of coat hanger wire and sweep the bottom of the pan for sludge and "tickle" the floating pickup to make sure it wasn't stuck. I wasn't quite sure what he he was after by the latter, but I always did it.

He never had any problem with the oil pump or lifter noise in the nearly 75K that he put on his Exec, which he purchased brand-new in '56. I've not had the chance to perform an autopsy on that engine, but I strongly suspect that his car had the late design pump and camshaft thrust plate and spacer.

Makes me wonder now if there was also problem with that floating pickup getting stuck in the high position - even if only occasionally.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 0:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm back from the frozen tundra and can no longer get in the chat room I did receive some pix from New Jersey and I'm glad to share. I wondered about the bronze paint still on the block but friend Owen_Dyneto informs me that it is Glyptol which is used to coat the porous casting. The main and rod bearings are King which are made in Israel.
Friend Ron emailed me and we are going to set up a date to rebuild tranny. I love it when a plan comes together!

Attach file:

jpg  (40.41 KB)
23_478178ed1203f.jpg 618X800 px

jpg  (26.95 KB)
23_478178fd25c58.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (39.51 KB)
23_478179084f6fb.jpg 618X800 px

Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Glyptol ?????????? Was that used only on the Sr. or maybe just Carib engines???? I've never seen any glyptol in any of the dozen or more 352's i've seen.

What are those round things setting on top of the boxes in the LAST pic??

You need to record the part numbers for the main and rod bearings from King so u'll have it for the next engine..

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, applying Glyptol is part of their rebuild as it allows oil to return to sump rather than soaking in to the now super-clean casting. It's an extra step, but a professional one. I am going to record the part numbers and post them here. That way we can all benefit.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What are those round things setting on top of the boxes in the LAST pic??

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What's the plan for valve seals????

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved