Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 134 135 136 (137) 138 139 140 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 15th April 2013

For a change didn't take a single picture at the workshop today, cleaning parts isn't exactly conducive to even slightly interesting pic's! Most of the engine parts are now clean although there are some larger parts, starter, generator, bellhousing and manifolds still to be done. Biggest part cleaned today was the sump(pan), which had a good supply of babbitt pieces and grit as well as some sludge in its bottom. Wade had the messiest piece to deal with, the oil filter, when hadn't been opened or emptied so that was the first order of business for him. And, when cleaning it, he found the return line was blocked, maybe with some babbitt debris? But whatever was blocking it, we'll never know now, because it was blown out and not found. And filtering wasn't a strong point for the filter in that condition! The other matter Wade attended to today was disassembly, cleaning out and reassembly of the oil pump, which was also packed with grease to aid initial oil pick up on first restart.

But I will provide some pictures nevertheless by backtracking a day to yesterday. Yesterday there was a PACA run to the Museum of Fire on Sydneys western outskirts at Penrith. Met at a Motorway McDonalds then convoyed to the Museum with four Packards in attendance. And....a new PACA member, GeoffC, but he was sans Packard. Geoff though does have 2 Packards, a '37 115C Sedan and a '39 TJ Richards bodied 110 Sedan. And I apparently had a hand in his becoming re-invigorated about Packards. How? Well back in May 2010, Noel and I had driven in the Coupe to Berry on the South Coast for a display day at the local showground(fairground). After the display was over Noel and I had lunch in Berry township and I'd parked in the street there. Geoff had seen the Coupe, taken photos, and it went from there. He already owned the '37 115C Sedan for many years and more recently found the '39 TJ Richards bodied 110 Sedan. I have a pic of the '39 because last year PACA and Forum member Lyndon, LJJ, had also looked at this car but ended up buying and importing a '47 LWB Super Clipper.

Also took some picture, when I returned home, of a bagful of '41 door handles. Noel had advised me, some time ago, that the interior door handles in the Coupe were not "correct". They are in fact Clipper handles. I was prepared to live with this mismatch because the Coupe is not a Concours contender. However Noel turned up at the workshop on Friday, in my absence, with the bagful of door handles! I think I'll have to return most of them including the re-chromed outside handles and bonnet(hood) end piece, too good for the Coupe! There was also a chassis plate for a steering box, how did that get in there? Noel has now forced my hand and I'll have to fit them to the car. But that's OK, as that go can hand in glove with the front seat re-upholstering and re-carpeting project in the near future. Was also tasked by Noel today to do some Coupe measuring, boot(trunk) and door(door) for sealing rubber lengths.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.73 KB)
226_516b9b209a049.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.91 KB)
226_516b9b31380a6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.56 KB)
226_516b9c451b9f3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (56.21 KB)
226_516b9c5f315f3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.63 KB)
226_516b9c71b6dd9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.19 KB)
226_516b9c8113b05.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2013/4/15 1:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
So that's where that 39 ended up! I note that the previous owner in Adelaide has his other 39 TJ Richards Packard listed on carsales.com.au.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 23:51
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 16th April 2013

Back to normal today, but what's normal? Why taking pic's of course! Still cleaned parts including bellhousing, starter, generator, water distribution tube, etc, etc and lots of nuts and bolts. An exercise Tim, an apprentice from the shop around the corner, calls "slave labour"(labor)! That only left the exhaust/intake manifolds setup, the air cleaner and the water pump.

Turning to the exhaust/intake manifolds a straight edge was looking good along the port surfaces until a crack was noticed on the outside of the exhaust manifold outlet near one of the engine pipe clamp studs. Closer examination revealed the outlet was cracked right through......not a good sign Noel. Wade then turned to the "magic parts shelf" and lo and behold what did he find, a 120 exhaust/intake manifolds setup! Closer examination revealed no cracks but the engine pipe clamp studs as well as the screws for the exhaust manifold mounted thermal choke cover, as recently discussed in this thread on the PAC Website, were snapped off. As well the flapper valve on the donor manifold was stuck and didn't have a counterweight or a spring. Initial thinking was to use the complete exhaust/intake manifolds setup but on splitting it apart found a good reason not to. The flange inside the hotbox housing on the intake manifold for the outside flange bolt was broken. Then split apart Noel's manifolds very, very carefully with the bolt for flange inside the hotbox housing on the intake manifold for the outside flange bolt proving very recalcitrant in releasing its grip, but it did so after a lot of judicious coaxing. Next removed Noel's exhaust manifold mounted thermal choke cover trying to be very careful but both screws snapped off, probably the result of numerous heating/cooling cycles and rust, a potent combination. Meant more work, necessitating drilling out and retapping the holes in Noel's intake manifold. Next was the flapper valve in the donor exhaust manifold. Tapping the shaft from both sides, some WD40, more tapping, more WD40, more tapping, some working on the valve action, more tapping, more WD40, more tapping, more working of the valve action and presto the flapper valve works. While delighted for Noel, Wade was disgusted nevertheless. Why? Because for years he'd fought and fought to free Old Blue's flapper valve to no avail. Seems he can fix it for others but not for himself! Anyway, still need to transfer over the spring and counterweight from Noel's manifold to get it complete. Before doing that though turned to the broken engine pipe retaining studs on the donor manifold. The stumps of the studs were filed flat, centre punched and the studs drilled out and manifold retapped. While the drilling out and retapping of both sets of stud sounds easy as recounted above in reality it was anything but, but the results are there and that's the main thing. Noel, you don't know how lucky you are, Wade didn't even know he had this 120 exhaust/intake manifolds setup! Count your blessings.

A little matter Wade attended to today was a rattle because the chrome trim strips atop one of Fleurettes headlights was loose. In preparation for taking out Fleurette's engine Wade had removed the headlights for clearance purposes as well as the grill and radiator. In doing so he had to partially disassemble one headlight, the one with the loose trim strip as it turned out, So today he set about and rectified the rattle before reassembling the headlight. And Fleurette's block and head should be ready Thursday to be picked up after being hot-tanked by Redistrip.

And Noel told me today, via a phonecall, that "the bagful of door handles" originated from one Peter Packard and that they'd also generated interest from a friend of his, one DAF. There are not enough handles of the proper type to make a set for the Coupe but that can be rectified. Also, as I suspected, some pieces need to return to Noel while others will be making the trip to the US in the near future courtesy one Barry Smith!
all.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.89 KB)
226_516d192c96458.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.61 KB)
226_516d193cbdbe8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.74 KB)
226_516d194ce3bf8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.87 KB)
226_516d195dd4ca0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.25 KB)
226_516d196cd6682.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.42 KB)
226_516d198c9be6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.46 KB)
226_516d19a18d38e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.69 KB)
226_516d19b53d586.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.79 KB)
226_516d19c838e80.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.39 KB)
226_516d1a26edcff.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/16 4:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 17th April 2013

Wade was working on a spare exhaust manifold flapper valve counterweight when I arrived, trying to separate it from its shaft. The pin through the counterweight and shaft was proving very reluctant to be driven out. Rather than continue with that frustrating task, instead moved to clearing space in Packard corner, with another patient due to arrive today. After that I turned to blasting the donor exhaust manifold in the blasting cabinet. The "new" cabinet is bigger and accepted the manifold with a couple of inches to spare. A lot easier than manhandling it using the wire wheel but still posing problems of its own. Found it difficult to reach and shoot at the ends of the manifold with the built in gloves not quite offering enough reach. While trying to manouvere the gun, restricted as it was by the end of the cabinet, was also challenging. Still need to finish one end and a section in the middle but getting there.

Then the Packard arrived, owned by RossM, it had landed in Oz a few weeks back but took some time to clear quarantine and customs. It's a '35 Super 8 Rumbleseat Coupe and arrived on the back of a Tilt Tray Tow Truck together with a trailer load of parts, a large tool chest and 6 new WWW's. But straight after I saw the Packard, the TTTT driver really caught my attention. You've no doubt heard of a one armed paper hanger? Well this guy was a one legged tow truck driver! And he didn't miss a beat, even using the stump of his mainly missing leg as a convenient place to hold a crutch when needed! While Wade had been expecting the Packard he hadn't been expecting the trailer load of stuff. The trailer was unloaded with the tyres rolled into the workshop while the forklift, with John at the controls, was used for the tool chest and pallet of parts. These were all parked under Fleurette, together with the running boards which were separate from the rest of the Coupe. The TTTT was then backed into the workshop and the Coupe winched off. But at this point I had to bid farewell as our Granddaughters were expecting us! Even only had time to say G'day and Goodbye to TonyW and Noel who had arrived only minutes earlier. Will provide a more indepth update on the Coupe tomorrow, as well as providing O_D with the relevant numbers!

Attach file:

jpg  (31.86 KB)
226_516e4faa296ca.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.81 KB)
226_516e4fb8c1ecb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.05 KB)
226_516e4fc82c6c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.19 KB)
226_516e4fda60db1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.19 KB)
226_516e4ff2a101c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (44.32 KB)
226_516e500b1eb4e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.66 KB)
226_516e5037a573b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/17 2:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 18th April 2013

Today was spent on the '35 Super Eight Coupe. Not that a great deal was accomplished but there was progress. First thing though was to move Fleurette off the hoist and the '35 onto it. After a couple of Ricks cars were moved, under their own power, the 2 Packards were shuffled under our own power together with help from Tim and John. Up on the hoist a preliminary undercar inspection revealed there is still much to be done to bring this historic vehicle back to the glory it once shared. Now, why would I use words like historic, glory and shared to describe this Packard? Because of it's prior ownership! Does the name Amelia Earhart ring a bell? When it comes to this Packard it certainly does, because this is the car that was presented to Amelia Earhart by the PMCC! Apparently after she left on her last flight, the Coupe sat in an airport parking lot for 2 years waiting for her to return! Ross purchased the Coupe from it's previous owner, who had owned the car for 45 years, in 2007 but it was in pieces. It was being restored in the US until Ross returned to Australia and brought it with him. Besides the Packard, also brought over were a Bentley and a TD Classic Prototype, Ross being the Principal of Marshall Groups TDClassic.

But back to the '35 Coupe. After I left yesterday Wade had looked it over closely and noticed a number of items requiring attention which weren't correct. Ross had also called in and ended up borrowing Wade's Ute to haul away the 6 new tyres and pallet load of boxes which arrived with the Coupe. Ross returned the Ute today, accompanied by his sister Gloria to show her the Coupe, but then took another load of parts with him, freeing up much needed space in the workshop. Wade's initial brief is to get the car running, although the engine had been rebuilt in the US fairly recently, but it's not running right. I think Ross wanted Wade to tear into the engine but Wade wants to hear and see it run before he goes that far. To achieve the end of the engine running Wade first wanted to attend to the basics, spark and fuel. Here was the first problem, finding the battery. Unlike many Packards, it wasn't under a seat accessible through the floor. Instead it was in an even more inconvenient place, under the golf club compartment. A very restrictive environment for installing and removing batteries! But seeing the Coupe was now on the hoist it was removed and replaced, because it was dead flat, from undercar. Two bolts and the battery tray drops down with the battery on it. Replaced with an Optima, out of The Fossil, it turned the engine over. At least that was a start. However trying to get it to key start, it turned over on the starter button, was another matter altogether. Although it has a new wiring harness in it, most of it is not connected, besides it was routed incorrectly through the pedal area instead of the allocated hole on the left side of the firewall. It and the dash will have to come out for the wiring to be rectified.

Putting that aside, started looking at the fuel system. First order of business was determining if the electric fuel pump was working. It didn't appear to be even though it was getting power despite the failings of the new wiring. Then drained the tank, made that much harder by a rounded off drain plug. But finally got the plug out along with about 1/2 a tank of dank foul smelling fuel. Next turned to the mechanical pump, but by this time Ross had returned and advised Wade that the dual action pump wasn't operational because it didn't have an arm on it. There had been a problem when rebuilding the engine so the mechanical pump, doesn't! It's there to fill the hole on the side of the block and to link up with the the fuel line plumbing to the carburettor. The pump has a blank off plate under it's top so that fuel enters one side, does a couple of turns(with pike and double somersault, degree of difficulty 1.9) and exits to the line to the carb. But before the top came off the pump the sediment bowl was removed, it too had dank foul smelling fuel in it along with sediment and what had been the remains of it's gasket. Also, Ross tells us, the fuel was about a year old so well past it's use by date. Then took the top off the pump to be met by the sight of the sealant used looking like slimy spaghetti spread over the blank off plate. Apparently the sealant didn't agree with the fuel used. Next the carb came off, it too had sediment in the float bowl and the accelerator pump was cactus. The float bowl was cleaned out, a new accelerator pump came "out of stock", some replacement gaskets, new idle screws(these last 2 from various EE22/23 rebuild kits used in Big Red and others over the last few years, the '35 Super Eight being EE23 equipped as I found out from the Model Info page for a 858 Super Eight Coupe. Have also cleaned up the fuel pump top and made a new gasket to replace the fuel incompatible one in use. Still need to clean the blank off plate and either make new gaskets for it or source a silicon impervious to the fuel being used.

O_D, pic's as promised below.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.62 KB)
226_516fd17b42b4d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.51 KB)
226_516fd18cbfe2e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.12 KB)
226_516fd19c3f632.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.67 KB)
226_516fd1c342b76.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.19 KB)
226_516fd1d755b83.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.59 KB)
226_516fd1fe03d8e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.86 KB)
226_516fd20d79705.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.53 KB)
226_516fd223e0b22.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.46 KB)
226_516fd23d7395d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.20 KB)
226_516fd25483f10.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.99 KB)
226_516fd26f7f179.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.34 KB)
226_516fd27d0b430.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.08 KB)
226_516fd28be1868.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.90 KB)
226_516fd29dbd944.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/18 6:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 19th April 2013

Found Wade under Amelia, just had to be the name for this Packard, when I arrived. He was looking at the various brake linkages which weren't connected or were incorrectly connected. But before attending to that took the front seat back from The Fossil to Mowads, a panel shop around the corner, for some work. Wade had been "promised", just about every day this week, they were coming down to look at and advise whether they could do what was wanted. And what was wanted? Creating the "cutout" on the right side of the metal seat so the seat adjustment handle could be mounted. But because Wade is using a LHD seat back, it's on the wrong side! Because Mohammed wouldn't come to the mountain Wade took the mountain to Mohammed or in this case the seat back round to Mowads! Left it with them and back to Amelia.

Part of the brake system fix involved the pedal which was half way depressed and wouldn't move. The reason for the half way pedal and lack of movement was found to be the stop light switch which was bent and out of position. The switch was removed for remedial action and will be reinstalled later. Next was sorting out the brake rods, these were held roughly in place by cable ties. They were also missing some shouldered bolts which fortunately were found in a large plastic bucket of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, etc, etc which accompanied the Coupe. The mounting bolts for the brackets the cranks pivot on also required tightening. Assisting in this task was none other than Eleanor, aka The Fossil, which has an almost identical brake setup so reference was made on a regular basis. Good to see one grand lady helping another to regain her composure. While all this was going Ross arrived and not being directly involved with the brake linkage work proceeded to sort and package some of the parts and the large plastic bucket full of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, etc, etc which accompanied the Coupe. Finishing with the rod and linkage setup undercar, there is still one connection to be attended to from above, then moved onto the brake cables. These too were weren't connected or incorrectly so. Required finding clevis pins, more consultation with Eleanor, cleaning of pins and clevises (or is that clevii?) and assembly. Wade also was able to supply a couple of rubber grommets for the front brake cables, although they won't rattle now they are very stretched and do require replacement.

Turned then back to the fuel system and cleaned up the fuel pump blank off plate. Also made a pair of gaskets to seal the pump top and plate, these were made from a pair of old fuel pump diaphragms by cutting out their middles. Also used plenty of gasket cement, but not Silicone, to assist in sealing. Along the way there was identification of parts for Ross and a firewall grommet retaining ring presented by Wade to Ross to replace the pieces of alloy presently used. Oh, and in an excursion under Amelia, Ross discovered some damage! At some point in it's transport from the US to Oz a forklift had been used to lift it, what an indignity! Has slightly damaged a chassis rail, greater damage to a cross-member, the tailshaft, is the source of the damage to the stop light switch plus more. Luckily Ross was on the phone straight away and learned he only had three days to make a claim for transit damage on his insurance. This was the third day!

At this point lunch intervened and all adjourned to the Pub to drown our sorrows for a good meal, liquid refreshments of your choice and great company. Then on returning from lunch, what's that lying on the floor of the workshop? Why, it's the The Fossils seatback complete with a new cutout on the right side and the old left side cutout filled and finished. Made for a pleasant ending to the day.
Mowads!

Won't pick up the running on the workshop again until next Friday because there wont be any. Ross is going up country to a friend with his Bentley. Wade is visiting his daughter up North. While, I'm accompanying Noel on a journey of discovery looking for a possible venue for our 2015 National Packard Rally, that's Monday and Tuesday. And on Wednesday and Thursday I too am heading North to visit my Dad on Anzac Day. Being a 92 yo digger he will be accommodated in one of the local Early Ford V8 Club vehicles members provide for any veterans needing motorised transportation in lieu of marching.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.22 KB)
226_51711977c0f6a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.75 KB)
226_5171199326f1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.81 KB)
226_517119a565257.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.16 KB)
226_517119b522e6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.71 KB)
226_517119cb6be44.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.08 KB)
226_517119dc9beb3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.80 KB)
226_517119f0374c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.34 KB)
226_51711a6806b77.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/19 5:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Mal,

I'm just curious, but why aren't you (collective) repairing the mechanical fuel pump on Amelia?

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:35
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tom,

Good question and, although I've tried to tip-toe around it by ignoring the obvious elephant in the room, your question deserves an answer. The trouble is that the pump is not connected to operate off the cam! As you're aware the operation, or rather non-operation, of the vacuum portion of the pump is also affected. Apparently the US rebuilder of the engine had a problem, which I don't fully understand, but relates to the rod that runs through the block to the cam to operate the double action pump and couldn't fix it. Wade, is perplexed as to why this wasn't fixed but, in the current situation, is stymied unless the engine is pulled down. But that scenario might be available in the near future, after the engine is heard running. This is because there are issues with the way the engine runs, including I think "noise/s" after the rebuild. Rather than jump straight in and tear it down, Wade first wants to hear it running then start diagnosing from that perspective. Teardown will be a major task which may not be necessary. Or, if it is, hearing the engine run could point to the source of a problem rather than going in blindly.

So there we go, bared my soul as to why the pump wasn't repaired. Would prefer there be no further comment on this, it should have been done "correctly" in the first instance, because circumstances have given us what we've got.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 17:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 26th April 2013

My first task today was removing the knob from the top of a spare oil filler tube top because the knob on Amelia's is broken. To access the screw holding on the knob the lid for the oil filler tube first needed to be removed. Then the plate under the lid was removed by carefully, very carefully, bending back the tabs holding the plate to the lid. Following the plate being out of the way, the old metal mesh between the plate and the lid comes out, also very carefully. With all that out of the way the screw retaining the knob to the lid is now accessible. Screw out, the knob was cleaned up in the blasting cabinet and the screw lost when I was cleaning it on the wire wheel! Into a junk box and another screw found as well as a replacement spring washer because the original was broken when it came out. All that remains now is to paint it and affix it to Amelia's oil filler tube top.

While I was dealing with the knob, Wade was dealing with Amelia's stop light switch. The switch had been brutalised when Amelia was forklifted at the container wharf. Wade thought knew he had another one on the shelf but, as can happen, it couldn't be found. Wade was going to use his spare as a model for the repair of the bent switch assembly. Repair work to the switch involved bending the tube at the top of the switch back into alignment, then bending the large tab of metal that acts as a bracket bolting it to the frame. Without a sample it took a number of attempts to get it right but right it is. And now that Amelia's switch is fixed, the one on the shelf is bound to be found!

Then turned to Amelia's electric fuel pump, although connected it wasn't working. This time Wade didn't turn to the magic parts shelf, instead he went to his desk and appropriated the 6V electric pump ex pepepackard, but intended for Roy when he returns for further attention. It's the same as the non-functioning pump and would have been a bolt in replacement, except an in-line filter was also installed between the tank and the pump. Although there is a filter on the inlet side of the pump Wade was taking no chances because of the demise of the old pump. Besides, with the mechanical pump being non functional, the electric pump MUST work! So this precaution was taken to preclude contamination of the pump.

About this time lunch intervened and on our return who was there to meet us but Ross and his partner Robyn. Ross had brought over his prototype TD2000 which following crash testing as well as meeting everything else required, has been certified for US acceptance. A lovely car and I even managed to drive it. That is, out of the workshop and then back in, must have been 60 metres all up! But while it was outside in the sunlight, I took a few pic's as is my bent. Reason Ross was there was twofold, delivery of more parts and a wiring diagram for Amelia, and to see if he can get the TD2000 up on a hoist. This is because it's making a lot of exhaust noise, which it wasn't before being shipped to Oz. Unfortunately all the hoists were full but Ross gets a hoist opportunity tomorrow about 9:00am. And a little aside here. Last week, I'd jokingly said to Ross we were almost related. Why? Because his partner Robyn and my son-in-law's mother Jan have been friends from childhood and remain so. But today that came closer to the truth when Robyn advised she was also my son-in-law's Godmother. Maybe not related, but the world can be a small place at times.

Last thing today was setting up a leak test on Fleurette's inlet manifold, will sit over the weekend, see pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.96 KB)
226_517a61c825688.jpg 640X456 px

jpg  (17.18 KB)
226_517a61d7b1f3f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.01 KB)
226_517a61e4ae2e8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (49.45 KB)
226_517a61f9813a8.jpg 800X471 px

jpg  (61.45 KB)
226_517a6207e9a07.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (66.87 KB)
226_517a62139aa51.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (68.09 KB)
226_517a621f2edb0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.95 KB)
226_517a622b55cc6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.84 KB)
226_517a6237ec90c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.92 KB)
226_517a624a62146.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/26 6:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 29th April 2013

On Saturday Wade had connected up the vacuum valve, that Ross had provided, to the brake rod assembly on Amelia. But to get it to fit some adjustment of the brackets were necessary which resulted in the stop light switch now being out of alignment. Added to that, another session under The Fossil revealed there's a part missing from the top of the rod of the brake light switch and Wade doesn't have one on the magic shelf. Anyone out there have a spare? But, as predicted, he did find the spare brake light switch he was looking for last week! Still needs to have vacuum hoses connected. Although there is one hose there, from the booster, but it's too short! Also on Saturday Wade had put Ross's TD2000 up on one of Rick's hoists and they found a loose panel but there's also an exhaust leak which hasn't yet been resolved.

So on to today. Wade firstly demonstrated another of Amelia's forklift inflicted injuries - a bent tailshaft, don't seem to get any better! When I arrived Wade had Amelia's had the oil filler housing off and on the bench in pieces, and a sorry sight it was too. Whoever had it apart previously hadn't taken very good care of it. Besides being full of silicon gasket sealer, parts were bent or missing. Reason Wade had taken it off was to put on the knob, I'd cleaned up on Friday, after painting it. It's a much easier task to do this off the car than on. Except it turned into a full reconditioning job on the whole oil filler housing! Spent a lot of time scraping silicon out of the housing and out of it's base. While I was doing that Wade had his spare housing apart and from it donated the baffle structure, because Amelia's was missing a piece of hers. Also cleaned up Fleurette's intake manifold, it had passed the weekend leak test.

And, speaking of Fleurette, next was a trip to Redi-strip to pick up Fleurette's hot-tanked block and head. On the way called into Pirtek at Rydalmere and picked up a brass plug for Amelia's carb as well as 1 metre of hose for the connections to and from the brake vacuum valve. At Redi-strip the block and head "weren't quite ready for pickup". This though Wade had heard from them a week ago that it was. But it was OK, the reason being it was still in the Caustic tank and had been left there for safe-keeping. It was a matter of lifting it out, pressure washing it inside and outside, drying it and finally applying a protective coating. Interesting to see the procedure as well as the same being done to a BMW body just as we arrived. Told that the procedure for car bodies is caustic, to remove the paint, then acid to remove the rust. During this step the body is taken out of the tank every day and pressure washed then back in the tank and repeated until all rust is gone. Then back into the caustic tank, to neutralise the acid, and at this point an electric current is introduced because the pressure washing doesn't get into any seams. Then pressure washing, drying and protective coating applied. Probably mixed something up, or got it wrong, with this explanation but I tried. Then dropped off the block and head at Wilkins Engineering, the parts required for the rebuild arriving in the country next week ex DAF and courtesy of Barry Smith's hand luggage! On the way home it was into ABC Bearings for a new pilot bearing for Fleurette.

Back at the workshop, who should be sitting there reading the March 2013 issue of The Cormorant News Bulletin but Ross, with Wade showing Ross the latest forklift misfortune. Ross had brought over more small parts, some readily identifiable as belonging to Amelia, others more puzzling.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.78 KB)
226_517e35f073e5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.42 KB)
226_517e35feece54.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.83 KB)
226_517e360c8c600.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (11.45 KB)
226_517e362c55c09.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (23.90 KB)
226_517e3643d4760.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.33 KB)
226_517e365325524.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.61 KB)
226_517e3662bcdac.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.15 KB)
226_517e3673d85ec.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.35 KB)
226_517e368214f6d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.50 KB)
226_517e369369a73.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.22 KB)
226_517e36a3836c6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 4:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 134 135 136 (137) 138 139 140 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved