Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 135 136 137 (138) 139 140 141 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 30th April 2013

Wade was working on the cap for Amelia's oil filler housing when I arrived. In lieu of reusing the wire filter that was in the cap he was going to reshape a wire wool scouring pad instead. However to save some effort I suggested the use of the wire filter from the housing and cap on the shelf, it being already shaped and bona-fide Packard, and this he agreed to do. Not often a Mal suggestion gets acted on! While he was doing that I was set to work on a pair of MBM gaskets for the base and the housing. One for between the housing and the base, the other for between the base and the crankcase. The other part that needs attention in the oil filler housing is the baffle/filter assembly. Wade has donated the baffle structure from the unit on the shelf but it's missing its mesh filter. While the mesh in Amelia's is cactus. Searched the internet for something suitable last night but not wanting a 1m x 1m sheet of stainless steel mesh found instead a kitchen utensil, which 'might' be a suitable substitute, a hand held strainer. Only trouble is the mesh looks to be too fine and would be restrictive when filling or topping up the oil. But I left before a test was performed to determine suitability. Not to worry though, I have another thought for something which should be suitable, see pic.

During the course of rounding up the gasket paper to make the oil filler housing gaskets for Amelia, know what happened? The Fossil scratched me! When the front seat back returned from Mowads a week and a half ago it had been stowed under the rear of The Fossil itself. Only trouble was there are two sharp corners on the base and these were pointing out and up because of the position it was in. As I swung around the end of The Fossil ouch, an instant sharp pain, the result being a scratch about 4" long on my right leg! Fortunately the scratch wasn't deep so sprinkled it with black pepper, that stops the blood flow, and carried on. However once the gasket making and filler housing cap were finished turned to temporarily installing the front seat back in The Fossil as a shop safety measure. Meant removing the RHD drivers seat and removing the two front seat squabs and squab bases. Then sliding the seat back in and temporarily bolting it in place and returning the sliding seat, bases and squabs.

Workplace safety taken care of turned back to Amelia and readying her for startup. Part of this was the need for a rod for the choke mechanism because the rod between the choke control on the exhaust manifold and the choke butterfly rod on the carb is missing. To aid in this process I had brought down my bucket of rods, rod ends and heim joints from my misspent youth days. Surely there had to be something in there that would fit? I also brought down a couple of rods off the incomplete electromatic clutch that formerly graced my Coupe in case these could be adapted. First rod, although looking promising was too short. Also determined the choke assembly had been installed 180 degrees out on the exhaust manifold so that needed fixing too. Turned out that a combination of rods was required, most were too short by themselves but a couple of rods coupled together might do the trick. With a change of one clevis end for another on the left hand threaded end of a brass rod body together with the longest 'small' rod on hand we were in the ballpark. But the longest 'small' rod had the wrong thread for the brass rod body. Contemplated retapping the thread to suit the thread on the longest 'small' rod but didn't have a tap that size, everything else but that! However the tap and die set has two halves, one side is SAE while the other is Metric. So, and here it's best kept low key, the longest 'small' rod and the brass rod body were rethreaded and retapped to 5mm. Might not be kosher, but then hardly ever is this type of course of action contemplated let alone proceeded with. Suffice to say, Amelia now has a working choke linkage, I'm sure she at least will appreciate that.

Also had a couple of drop ins. Ross with some more wiring details for Amelia. Ross was returning later but I had to leave before he returned. And Noel with the '41 interior door handles I'd sent back with the other handles and stuff a couple of weeks ago. A Texan benefactor is going to provide the missing link, in this case a '41 120 interior door handle. Noel also brought over a new head gasket for Fleurette, ex pepepackard. Wade also took the opportunity to talk to Noel about a couple of matters relating to Fleurette's engine. Being the necessity for a new set of head studs, had thought these might not be necessary but after the hot tank it's apparent the old ones have to go. Also that K liners are also required and hardened exhaust valve seats are recommended. Fleurette won't know herself after all this! All the parts being sourced from the US arrive with Barry on Saturday. So, come Monday, they together with crankshaft and all the other parts required will be going to Wilkins Engineering for Graeme's tender touch.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.83 KB)
226_517f5f5ec73f3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.22 KB)
226_517f5f6eeeb93.jpg 576X475 px

jpg  (16.06 KB)
226_517f5f7dbc56f.jpg 301X512 px

jpg  (22.01 KB)
226_517f5f8beec73.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.18 KB)
226_517f5fa3b6a08.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.31 KB)
226_517f6017df5f9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (53.18 KB)
226_517f604d2525a.jpg 912X477 px

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 1st May 2013

Wade and Ross were working on pressurising Amelia's fuel system when I arrived, that is the part of the system from the tank through the fuel filter, electic pump and through the line to where it exits in the engine compartment. After the initial pressurising Amelia's new electric pump was then able to do the job. It took three passes before clear fuel came through. It was decided to be safe rather than sorry so another filter was plumbed in between the end of the chassis line and the fuel pressure regulator and blanked off fuel pump. Not pretty, it's a temporary measure, and will be removed once clear fuel is evident through the entire system after the engine runs for a while. Next was pumping fuel through the system including the new filter, regulator and blanked off mechanical pump to the disconnected line to the carb. This too took three flushes before clear fuel was coming through.

This brought Amelia to start up point but unfortunately Ross left before this juncture, having an appointment to keep. To facilitate start up, the Start-u-bastard spray was employed but the engine was turning so slowly that didn't help. To alleviate this situation a 12V booster was employed and by this means Amelia sprang into life. However she made quite a racket for a grand old lady. A lot of rattling from within the engine accompanied by exhaust leak/s and without a return spring at a few revs too. Hand throttled back by moi, as I was on the carb side of the engine administering Start-u-bastard as required, that was my responsibility. However soon shut it down, rattles aren't a good sound. Wade then rigged up a temporary return spring and tried again this time monitoring the oil pressure, but there was none! Wade checked the oil pump pressure regulator and found it to be right out, not good. Also rigged up a remote oil pressure gauge, John's, in lieu of the line to the dash gauge. But back to the oil pressure regulator, the lock nut had rounded off corners so was a bear to remove. Wade thought he had a spare on the shelf but although two regulators were found neither had the locknut. Turned to the various "junk boxes" and found some very large nuts that fitted but they were too big, there wasn't a spanner(wrench) which would fit them in the space available. But there was one very old and very rusty nut that was close. Didn't fit, too small a thread, but there was a spanner(wrench) that fitted. So drilled out the nut and retapped it for the 3/4" NF thread required. Regulator then adjusted to provide oil pressure and another start up, but same result, barely any oil pressure. At that point I had to leave Wade to it as I too had an appointment to keep.

Wade thinks the noise inside the engine may be metal hitting metal as he doesn't believe it's bearing related. Could also have something to do with the rod for the double action pump not being connected. However, because of the lack of oil pressure, he's first going to demonstrate where we are when Ross returns this afternoon. Upshot will undoubtedly be the sump(pan) coming off as well as the oil pump and regulator being closely inspected.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.86 KB)
226_5180b719650e5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.69 KB)
226_5180b72aa7a36.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.07 KB)
226_5180b7413b3af.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.77 KB)
226_5180b75002412.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.37 KB)
226_5180b75ae3f3c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.64 KB)
226_5180b76f25f87.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2013/5/1 1:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 2nd May 2013

Been somewhat lacking in updating the Blog recently. So a just a quick catchup here. Upshot of the days activities after the sump(pan) was dropped is that Amelia needs at least a partial engine overhaul. And Ross is keen to get a message out that when it comes to things Packard that experts need to be involved and that preparation is an essential element of this. Apparently he's had three different mechanics do three rebuilds of the engine while the car was in the US, with guys in Texas, Tennessee and Kentucky each trying their hand. Finally, he's brought Amelia 'home' to Australia for Wade to work on. Plans are being formulated of what to do from this point and another rebuild of the bottom end only is one scenario. Whether it's more will depend on what's found when the rest of the engine is dis-assembled.

And an aside: Forgot to include in my 13th March post that I surprised Wade with a little gift that day, being a '34 Packard wiper motor. At that moment he had none! Last year during my Hershey trip, acting on Wade's behalf, Noel and I dropped in a pair of '34 wiper motors to Rob at Ficken Wiper Service for rebuilding. But Rob took one look at them and expressed grave doubt they were rebuildable. After this setback, Noel and I scoured Hershey and eventually found another pair. This pair also received the same sentence of death from Rob. However both pairs of motors were left with Rob for a detailed inspection and assessment following return to his shop and, if possible, rebuilding. Following Rob's preliminary diagnosis, although that was for unopened motors, from time to time I've searched eBay looking for '34 wiper motors. Among the few I've found, and very few come up for sale, this one sold for a reasonable price while all the others were very expensive! Recently heard from Rob that the four wiper motors are not rebuildable and arranged for their return to Wade. Yesterday Wade was able to advise that they'd arrived home.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.71 KB)
226_5188d5bf86b9b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.32 KB)
226_5188d5d18b4e9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.69 KB)
226_5188d5e1a0b74.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.24 KB)
226_5188d5fd61c48.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.68 KB)
226_5188d60f7b1cb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.35 KB)
226_5188d653cdd60.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.92 KB)
226_5188d661c7250.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/7 5:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 6th May 2013

Saturday morning saw a "courier" delivery of Packard parts courtesy of Barry Smith. Barry had been in Texas last week, which was timely, and was able to pick up the parts required for Fleurette's engine rebuild, plus some other stuff. Wade met Barry at Sydney's Mascot airport where he needed to change planes to get home. Fortunately, or is that unfortunately, because it was a long wait for the connecting flight. But this enabled Wade to meet Barry and his 80+lbs of goodies and take him to a nice breakfast spot on the water, suggested by Noel who was able to join them there.

So with all the parts required, and the block and head already with Graeme Wilkins, today it was time to get the new parts and rest of the engine parts to Graeme so he can get going on the machine work. New parts included pistons, piston pins and bushes, piston rings, cam bearings, big end bearings and main bearing together with a set of used rods to replace the babbitted examples taken out of Fleurette. Other engine parts included main bearing caps, camshaft, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, harmonic balancer and a crankshaft to replace Fleurette's badly worn one.

Back at the workshop, with work suspended on Amelia, there was little to do. First I cleaned up a timing case pointer for Fleurette, it had been dropped in by Noel on Friday and is ex LesF. But Les had been a bit concerned because 120's don't come equipped with one and had quizzed Wade on why he wanted one. Wade advised that it was to make life simpler, being much easier to set the timing with an easily visible pointer and marks on the harmonic balancer than using the marks on the flywheel. Best thing is that pointers off later engines fit the timing case bolt spacing perfectly. Then filing or cutting marks on the balancer and painting both the pointer tip and marks with an easily visible colour makes setting the timing so much easier.

That done, I was then set to work on painting the replacement exhaust manifold for Fleurette. It's now a high temp exhaust paint grey. Included in the painting was the thermal choke cover and hardware along with a couple of spanners(wrenches) of mine for my garage art wall. While I was painting Wade gave Big Red some TLC, she's been ignored lately, with Wade checking fluids and attending to her other needs.

Of the 80+lbs of goodies Barry couriered in, the majority was for the care and comfort of Fleurette. But there were other parts including door handles for me, or rather for my Coupe. Some rubber parts, I suspect are for Noel's Coupe. And, much to my surprise, a pair of rear floor heater outlets, a rather rare item, for Big Red. Gina is going to travel in comfort during the upcoming Aussie winter touring season!

Attach file:

jpg  (13.70 KB)
226_5188d7aa9fcf3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.03 KB)
226_5188d7b6ed550.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.11 KB)
226_5188d7cd4ab8a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.44 KB)
226_5188d7ddcc887.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.18 KB)
226_5188d7ebd20b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.05 KB)
226_5188d8411a999.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.27 KB)
226_5188d86198e9a.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2013/5/7 5:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 7th May 2013

Although space is at a premium in Packard corner, with three disabled Packards already in occupation, today Wade prepared to bring another one in. This "one" being Roy, who Wade had prepared for the National Rally in March but stumbled before leaving. So after disassembling yesterdays windchimes featuring Fleurette's new exhaust manifold, some tools and equipment were packed, and off we went to bring back Roy for repair. And Wade had another of Richard and Wendy's Packards to attend to while there, Thelma! While Roy is a '39 110 Convertible Coupe, Thelma is the big sister '39 120 Convertible Coupe! Thelma's problem is carburation with fuel pouring out of it which Richard with the help of the local Motoring Association Roadside Assistance Officer couldn't fix. Plan was to take the carb off Thelma and bring it back to the workshop for inspection and rebuild if required. Once the carb was off Thelma, Wade was to drive Roy back while I followed in the Ute. That went well, for about 2kms, until Roy just died. Now we knew there was a fuel/carburation problem with Roy but he still ran, albeit slowly. But this time he failed to proceed. Some roadside checking found a weak spark and the coil was very hot. While I babysat Roy, Wade doubled back in the Ute and purloined Thelma's coil. But this coil also gave a weak spark so a decision was made to ship Roy to the workshop on a Table Top Tow Truck. Wade also sent me back in the Ute because Noel was expected early afternoon. Noel was able to mostly sort out the "other parts" couriered in by Barry on Saturday. Rubber is for his Coupe and he was going over to the panel shop with that when he left. 2 door handles for me, thanks DAF, a door handle for Emily and again thanks. And there were some mystery parts, mainly door locks, which need to have ownership identified. After Noel left, waited, waited some more and then waited still more and finally Roy arrived on a TTTT. Now I know Packards are perceived as big but a TTTT with a 30' bed just seemed like overkill.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.92 KB)
226_5188e14778c78.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (34.66 KB)
226_5188e1569aa03.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.50 KB)
226_5188e164f1ee8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.29 KB)
226_5188e17d6417d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.44 KB)
226_5188e1920d276.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.91 KB)
226_5188e1a0a71c4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.00 KB)
226_5188e1b932aac.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.67 KB)
226_5188e21e6e4e7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.15 KB)
226_5188e2307a35a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.20 KB)
226_5188e244e2fe8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.40 KB)
226_5188e254036f5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.52 KB)
226_5188e2956d175.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/7 6:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 8th May 2013

In order to work on Roy in Packard corner, first needed to elevate a Packard on the hoist. But before doing that the sump(pan) needed to go back on. That done and Packard elevated tried to push Roy but he refused to move, the left front brake was grabbing when being pushed backwards. To enable Roy to be pushed, jacked the front end up with a trolley jack. The head of which fits almost perfectly in the centre front channel of Safe-T-Flex Packard suspensions, looks like it was made for it! Jack in place, front wheels elevated an inch or two above the floor, Roy was manouvered into place between the front wheels of the elevated Packard, just! The windscreen posts missed by an inch on one side and were shaved by the tyre on the other side.

Then started work on Roy. Initially, just trying to start the old feller, using a shot of Start-U-Bastard, but without response. Another spark test undertaken but with the same results as yesterday, not much! Wade then checked under dash and determined that the ignition switch was the problem. His solution was to wire a relay into the circuit and was about to do this when the Insurance assessor closely followed by Ross arrived. The Assessor was there regarding the insurance claim for the in-transit damage suffered between New York and Sydney. Because of Roy's situation, under the other Packards skirts so to speak, he again had to be moved. Once moved, undercar inspection and assessment followed. Then the Packard was lowered for inspection and assessment of body damage. Following Ross and the Assessors departure a number of attempts were made to align Roy to go back under the elevated Packard but each failed. For some reason pushing Roy back, again jack mounted, just couldn't recreate the alignment required to slide between the front wheels despite numerous attempts. Admitting defeat then lowered the Packard somewhat and removed firstly the left front wheel, and after more frustration, the right front wheel. Should have done that to start with, why take the easy way, right?

Was able to now return to Roy and addressing his woes. Wade had one relay remaining on the shelf and together with some wires, saved when Fleurette's wiring harness was replaced, and an assortment of connectors a relay was coupled into the ignition wire circuit. Bet you never thought Fleurette would ever be a donor Packard, did you Noel? Although Wade explained the whats and why this was happening, as with anything electrical, it all escapes me. I do remember he said it only takes milliamps to activate the relay whereas it takes a number of amps to activate the ignition switch. I think in effect the ignition switch is only used to make the relay work and once the relay is open and virtually all the current is flowing through it there are minimal losses so all the current gets to where it's required. (Sorry if I have this wrong, and please correct me!) One thing is apparent, it's all add in wiring and a fair bit of that plus the relay, but if need be it could be removed at any timr. First test was to see if the relay was working, done by me listening for a click from the relay when the ignition was turned on. And it did indeed click. Second test was turning the engine over, ignition on, with the lead from the coil to the distributor held by insulated pliers near a head nut. The resultant spark was just about good enough to weld with, bright and fat! Lead back in the middle of the distributor cap, me poised with the Start-U-Bastard over the carb throat, Wade in Roy, and away Roy went. As Wade pressed the starter I sprayed the starting fluid down the carb and Roy came to life. But.......after warming up and an idle adjustment, gently blipping the throttle produces a miss. There's just not enough fuel getting through.

Left matters with Wade at this juncture to attend another commitment. And Noel, found out that Wade has a can of the POR-15 black manifold hi-temp paint, so no need to pursue that.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.50 KB)
226_518a184a6429e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.83 KB)
226_518a187ab24cf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.68 KB)
226_518a18b89df26.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (44.77 KB)
226_518a18d8a7507.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/8 4:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 10th May 2013

Not long at the workshop today. But long enough to go for a fair test drive in Roy with Wade. Wednesday afternoon after I left Wade had jacked Roy up at the rear, because there wasn't a spare hoist in the place, and installed an electric fuel pump. This has certainly cured the fuel starvation that Roy had previously suffered. And yesterday, had found the accelerator pump on the 1bbl carb, a Holden(local GM product) example, wasn't hooked up. But managed to make a link for it with good results. Going on a test drive after this Roy bucked and baulked until warmed up and then ran well. After that also advanced the timing by ear, the timing marks on these are nearly inaccessible. So this morning, after some final tinkering with idle speeds, came another test drive. Again, until fully warmed up and until a 'modern' temp gauge showed 80c, the bucking and poor performance continued. But, once warm, Roy rose to the occassion with plenty of power, accelerating well and pulling up the test hill in top gear all the way. This last from a fairly sedate start, because you can't get a run up at this hill, so it's a good test.

Wade had also pulled Thelma's carb far enough apart to determine it needs a full rebuild. Will be recommending this to Richard, courtesy of Tim at Carburettor Service Company our carb rebuilder of choice. And received a phone call from Noel, keen to find out if Graeme Wilkins had been in contact with Wade about the machine work on Fleurette's engine. He had, earlier in the week, but it was only an inquiry concerning the fact the block is already sleeved. Noel, I can assure you Wade is just as anxious as you for things to happen sooner rather than later. Noel also advised that the "mystery parts, mainly door locks, which need to have ownership identified" have been identified. Sparkplugs and some door locks are for Peter Packard while a 51-54 sedan doorlock is for Jeff, PAC052.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.18 KB)
226_518c721a6b61a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.48 KB)
226_518c72430dcf8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.06 KB)
226_518c728661067.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/9 23:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Mal's front lawn
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 12th May 2013

Mother's Day today here in Oz. So why was I working on the Coupe this afternoon? Because our family celebrated Mother's Day early, on Thursday with our daughter and her three children and Saturday with our two sons, their wives and a granddaughter. This gave everyone a free run with the other parents and grandparents today and gave us a free day. So, after catching up with some Packard club work in the morning, turned to a sadly neglected Coupe in the afternoon. And why neglected? Because since the body and paint repairs, before the National Rally in March, the Coupe has been devoid of it's right side fender spears. I needed some new wire clips and screw fasteners to reaffix them because a fair number broke or were missing on disassembly. Picked up some of the screw fasteners from eBay, then recently Noel donated about a dozen used wire clips. My list of excuses for not doing the reinstallation was getting considerably shorter. And why on the lawn? Because 1) not enough room in the garage, it's a tandem, and 2) the driveway is slightly sloping and rough. So onto the grass, well a fine mix of disparate grasses and weeds really, under lovely sunny autumn skies and away I went. Most of the rear fender spears fasteners were the screw type while the front spears were mostly wire clips. Because I wanted some positive fastenings on both sets of spears I shuffled clips and fasteners between front and rear sets so all spears had at least three screws on each spear set. The new screw fasteners have a wire spring which required some massaging in order to enable them to slide into the backs of the spears. Most of the time spent was with these fasteners bending the wire so it would fit in the groove. Then it was just a matter of positioning screws and clips, bearing in mind the orientation of the spears, and pushing them into place. But I also found I was short nuts or fasteners for the screw type fasteners so I'll chase those later this week. Another thing I must do is find a rear fender spear to replace the bottom spear because it's longer than the others. I didn't notice that until, about 6 months after I bought the Coupe, Wade pointed it out!

Attach file:

jpg  (18.61 KB)
226_518f428e7e3ec.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.54 KB)
226_518f42a06cd9e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.79 KB)
226_518f42b0b6fef.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.12 KB)
226_518f42de76467.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/12 2:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 15th May 2013

Returned to the workshop today to find it looking like a sawmill, part of Wade's floor area was covered in sawdust and offcuts! Chris, Starliner, had been over yesterday and fabricated a floor and a back for The Fossil's boot(trunk). Wade had previously spoken to the 'chippy' aka carpenter, in the business next door, about doing this but it never happened. Into the breach stepped Chris who has the requisite skills and it's obvious the chips did fly. Well the sawdust did, even though Wade tells me Chris has dust catchers on the power tools used! So after sweeping the floor, and some clean up of other areas, that floorspace was once again ready for work. Pity about Fleurette though, because all the carpentry took place right behind her, she now has a layer of sawdust gracing her once immaculate lines. And the reason why the sawdust was there this morning? They finished at 7:30pm last night!

Turned then to cleaning some parts for 1) Fleurette, 2) Big Red, and 3) The Fossil prior to their being painted by Wade this afternoon. Harvey arrived a little later armed with parts for 1) Wade, a '37 Super 8 front stub axle, upright and brake drum and an exhaust pipe for same and also a radio, 2) Me, a pair of used(well used) Willys hubcaps and a Jeep distributor. Actually the '37 Super Eight parts are for Peter Packard via Wade while the Willys and Jeep parts are for the father of a guy living in Perth, the father and his '38 Willys are actually in South Africa. The guy in Perth had gotten onto me when I placed a want ad for Harvey on the AACA Site for Willys hubcaps a couple of years back, because his Dad only has three hubcaps and needs a fourth. Now he has five, albeit some in less than Concours condition!

Backtracking to Monday, at the start of a day in which Noel and I drove to checkout a possible venue and facilities for the siting of the next Australian National Packard Rally in 2015, we first called in to see Noel's Coupe. The panel shop was virtually on our way to our destination and Noel needed to check something with Karl, the panelbeater doing the work. It turned out Karl wants to see my Coupe again, mainly to check out the bonnet(hood) mountings. I'll now be driving it over there tomorrow morning for Carl's scrutiny. While, tomorrow afternoon, the plan is to return Roy home to Richard and Wendy.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.77 KB)
226_5193062e7b944.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.05 KB)
226_5193063ab93be.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.54 KB)
226_519306689194c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.77 KB)
226_519306c6916d0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.61 KB)
226_519306d608254.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.13 KB)
226_5193070356290.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (92.90 KB)
226_51932d780a7df.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/14 22:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 16th May 2013

Started the day by installing nuts onto the many bolts holding the right mudguard(fender) spears to the Coupe. Then with the spears secured it was off to meet Noel and from there onto the panel shop and Noel's Coupe. There Karl inspected the bonnet(hood) mountings, props and a few other aspects of the front sheet metal to aid in reassembly of Noels Coupe. Noel is pleased with the progress Karl is making on his Coupe as each time he visits something more has been done. This apparently is in stark contrast to Fleurette where, from the sounds of things, it was an ongoing battle to get things done by the panel shop doing her!

Later, back at the workshop, caught up with what Wade had been doing to The Fossil where the boot(trunk) lid has been receiving attention so the hinges can be remounted. Also saw the rear floor heater outlet after yesterdays paint and it looks good. Yesterday at Lee Bros, besides the nuts I picked up for the Coupes spears, I purchased 2 longer coach bolts for mounting The Fossils Trippe Lights. But discovered today they are slightly larger in diameter than required. The coach bolts that came with the Trippe Light brackets are 4"(100mm) x 12mm while the replacement ones are 4&1/2" x 1/2"(12.7mm) That 0.7mm does make a difference. So tomorrow, after visiting grandkids, I'll exchange them for a pair of 4&1/2" x 12mm coach bolts. I'll also be picking up quantities of 8/32 and 10/32 bolts, nuts and washers for The Fossil at the same time.

Then it was time to take Roy home. This was easily accomplished with Roy running really well, keeping up with traffic wasn't a problem. Wade wanted to know, once we arrived, what his speed was along Mona Vale Road. Had to tell him to relax, the indicated 60 mph was in fact about 80 kph or around 50 mph! Obviously Roy's speedo is very optimistic. After delivering Roy to the comforts of home turned to Emily and made her day by fitting a replacement left outside door handle courtesy of Noel's US connection. Little bit of a struggle to do so until it was figured out the bezel went on one way, the other way changed the handles orientation to the door skin!

Returning to the workshop, I drove the Ute for a change, reason being Wade wanted to thaw out! Wade had driven Roy with the top down, being a Convertible Coupe, but for reasons other than asthetics. With the top up, the mail box slit like rear window doesn't afford much visibility at all! So with the top down, especially combined with Sydney's autumn weather, the wind chill factor was readily apparent. Also, on the way back, called into the auto upholsterer working on Big Red. The guy had worked on the front seat, especially the drivers side, to repair worn areas. He'd salvaged pieces of seat fabric from under both the front and rear seats to be able to effect the repairs needed. Looks good! I aim to take the Coupe there next week for a quote to repair the torn, frayed and split front seat. Depending on cost might also be looking at new kick panels and maybe a new carpet!

And this just for Noel - All going well, Graeme Wilkins expects to have the work on Fleurette's engine finished on Tuesday.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.44 KB)
226_51949fc0e166f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.00 KB)
226_51949fd08c1cb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.65 KB)
226_51949fe501a64.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.86 KB)
226_5194a0918dd6d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.13 KB)
226_5194a0ac9a525.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.38 KB)
226_5194a0bb8e050.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.42 KB)
226_5194a0c84d5f8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.95 KB)
226_5194a0da2c70b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.91 KB)
226_5194a10835731.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.53 KB)
226_5194a11a4159e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.92 KB)
226_5194a12f4efef.jpg 912X306 px

Posted on: 2013/5/16 4:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 135 136 137 (138) 139 140 141 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved