Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 146 147 148 (149) 150 151 152 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
envious.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 8:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Work has been stupid busy and stress laden this week. So I finally got some time to get out to the garage and hammer some metal. The car needed some work around where the grille attaches. Hammer and dolly work with the bullseye pick coming in very handy.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.25 KB)
1_4fc84d30bdb65.jpg 1280X722 px

Posted on: 2012/6/1 0:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Metal bumping done on the front of the car. Mudded it this evening and did some of the initial sanding. There was a lot of work that needed to be done where the grille attaches. Some of the bolt holes were pushed in, and some were pulled out. I got everything pretty straight, and went over the entire area with coat of filler to level the small imperfections. Also applied filler along the side of the fenders where the stainless trim runs as there was deep rust pits from dirt that had accumulate behind the stainless over the years.

More sanding tomorrow to level all the filler. Then I have one dent in the passenger rocker to deal with and the car should be ready for another full coat of primer. Then on to the wet sanding.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 23:01
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
More sanding and work on the front end. Also brought up a shallow low spot that was found on the front fender behind the wheel well.

Then it was onto the point of no return..... removing the windows. The window gaskets were cut as they were petrified and I didn't want to the window getting away from me while fighting a stubborn gasket.

Lots of crusty rust around the sides and bottom of the rear window. There were signs of previous repair. Looks like a hole was brazed at one point. Also come kind of sealant was used to try to patch some leaks.

Front windows was much better with way less rust. Also here one of the last spots of original paint left on the car.

So with the windows out of the car, it's now forward to finish the body work and paint. No more hot dogging around the neighborhood in it.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.65 KB)
1_4fd17a5bdfe31.jpg 1280X722 px

jpg  (81.81 KB)
1_4fd17a7c4145b.jpg 1280X722 px

jpg  (96.94 KB)
1_4fd17a95c03b9.jpg 1280X722 px

jpg  (48.51 KB)
1_4fd17aa0efb6f.jpg 1280X722 px

Posted on: 2012/6/7 23:09
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev,

You are just about ready to turn the corner and have a Packard that will be a showcase for all your time, efforts, money spent, and sometime frustrations. Looking forward to seeing it painted. Please tell us again the color you have selected.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/8 9:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW, its going to be the original color which is Metallic Bikini Blue. Thank you for your kind words.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 10:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just some minor cleanup in garage since I am down with a summer cold, and sanding on the car is conducive to make that cold better.

So it was more of just putting tools and other things back where they belong until I ran out of energy.

Along the way I found the box of with the remote master cylinder kit that I bought at Salado. Here is what the kit looks like. It comes with a new unvented lid for the master cylinder, and a remote reservoir that is cast and milled from a single block of aluminum.

It will go into the car after paint.

Attach file:

jpg  (304.16 KB)
1_4fd54d15c35cc.jpg 1920X1082 px

Posted on: 2012/6/10 20:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Haven't made it back into the garage the art few days because of the heat.

But today we wandered around the large swap meet they have in a neighboring city. The wife bought me a 40s Era desk fan for Father's Day as she knows I am always drawn to them in Antique store. It's a Westinghouse, it works, and based on the model codes is from the 40s. Needs to be cleaned, oiled, and have the correct style cloth covered cord installed on it. Someone rewired it with modern lamp cord as some point.

Also in my travels today I found a vintage copper/brass "Acid-Soda" style fire extinguisher. It will get cleaned up, polished and either end up in the office, or the garage as decoration. Not a bad piece for $30.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.58 KB)
1_4fdec0c4b7d32.jpg 722X1280 px

jpg  (75.35 KB)
1_4fdec0d2539e3.jpg 722X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/18 0:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THose are Good fans. Does it have mechanical oscilating arm??? Mite want to think about mounting it to a 6 or 8 foot piece of 6" PVC with a scrap flywheel or other substantial form of a base.

The fire extinguisher makes a good portable air tank. I have about 6 of them but they are more modern, made of SS and were originaly water filled. Your brass one is a real beauty.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 6:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kev, you obviously have an appreciation of old things.
Given my age, I really appreciate that!

Posted on: 2012/6/18 7:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 146 147 148 (149) 150 151 152 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved