Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 146 147 148 (149) 150 151 152 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
While you have it apart, do the things that would be big pain latter. I agree that they are more fun when they move on their own.

Luckily my rust kind of blends with the brown.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.80 KB)
1220_51a900941412a.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (71.13 KB)
1220_51a900aaeed13.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/5/31 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
You also might want to look into Allback's organic lindseed oil. Ford undercoated their early cars with lindseed oil and I am seriously thinking of using under my car to stabilize it until I can afford to start working on it. Lindseed oil/beeswax works great on detailing auto interiors and sidewalls.

Have been using Allback organic lindseed oil paint and other products on the house. Stuff is amazing. Here is link to US importer.

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/

Posted on: 2013/5/31 15:07
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
lucky man you are that lives in a region where rust is not such a problem. You might do some 'honest patches' on the holes you poked through. Just patch in some small pieces to fill locally any holes.... I like the term 'honest patch' -one you can see, but is done properly.
Owatrol oil or linseed oil, or whatever you wind up using if you go this route does have rust-stopping properties that might be better than just clear coating with matt clear coat. The owatrol is thin enough that is sucks into the pores of the rust and therefore really cuts off all air to stop the corrosion. It will also slowly "shed off" any deeper rust flakes as it soaks in. Then you just put some more oil on it...In this respect an oil might be better at preserving metal than a clear coat. The oil is not as strong a surface as a dried paint/clear coat, but is still pretty with a medium gloss finish when you put a few coats on it.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 15:41
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah Texas is good on the rust.

i want something that will stop the rust....does linseed oil do that like the owatrol?

Hank

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
It will soak in the same way and seal off oxygen to stop oxidation. There is a section on the Viking Sales website (the link I posted above) where owner sprayed it on as an undercoat for a 2004 F-150 several years ago. Looks almost brand new- I have seen the truck. I was impressed-especially not being a Ford admirer in any shape or form.

Check out the website. Can be a slog to find what you are looking for sometimes.

Just found the link to the page. I didn't remember him saying they used paint. Either the raw lindseed oil or the boiled lindseed oil will do the same thing.

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/info/case_study_OrganicRustproofing.htm

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:45
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I found the link, but thanks for posting...saved me from doing it. ;0)

I see what he used and it is available locally and looks to be probably what owatrol oil is.

Boiled Linseed oil by the gallon at homedepot.

or at lowes by the gallon.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 16:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Nah, don't use the hardware store stuff. It isn't the pure quill. Maybe 10% or so unpurified lindseed oil and rest is chemical additives and really doesn't do well. Please don't ask me how I know.

You will want the Allback product. I am not aware of a domestically produced 100% raw or boiled organic lindseed oil.
I just looked at the HD link and the VOC and lack of biodegradability gives it away.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 17:07
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Stephen ,,

could that be used in the radiator? cooling system..

Posted on: 2013/5/31 19:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Riki,

A very good question although I wouldn't think so. Does a great job repelling water and moisture, restoring wood strength as it soaks into wood fiber, etc.

Might be worth a call to Viking, would be great if we could use it to keep water jackets etc from corroding. Is that what you have in mind?

Posted on: 2013/5/31 21:48
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
tried some PB blaster since it says penetrates and protects and inhibits rust.

tried in a small area to make sure the paint didnt bleed off. it was good. so I did a bigger area, and if the linseed oil is anything like that i'm gonna love it.

I'll be sure to buy a gallon from the link you provided, seems like its better stuff then the HD stuff like you said. pricier, but purer.

you get what you pay for.

I could see the reflection of my white shorts in the black I coated in PB and then wiped off. I didn't let it go on very thick and I wiped it off pretty fast. so it should be an indication that the linseed oil will be way better.

also I think a good scrubbing to get some of the oxidation off will help. can't do it too hard, don't want to rub off the paint. its pretty thin.

but you can see its a good healthy shine just from the PB. trust me...before you couldn't see my white shorts at all.

not sure what to do about that cancer...may have to leave it, cause if I attempt to weld it I fear I will mess up the patina and the paint around it. hmmmmmm...thoughts??

this is going to be fun. ;0)

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (43.31 KB)
491_51a96ea909193.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (43.09 KB)
491_51a96eada9caa.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2013/5/31 22:45
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 146 147 148 (149) 150 151 152 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved