Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 29 »

Re: 1938 Super 8 1605 - adventures with a newbie
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The tiniest air leak on the suction side will give you starvation problems. Neither a mechanical nor an electric pump will solve it.

Is the line going to the tank new? Does it have any unions or fittings.

Suggest you merely check your mechanical pump with a vacuum gage before bothering to take it apart.

Thanks Ross. I don't know exactly what was done to the car when it was restored, besides that it appears to be a frame-off restoration. I don't know if the fuel line is original or replaced. I got underneath the car today and the fuel line is one piece from front to back. The electric pump is mounted right next to the tank, and there is a fuel filter between the pump and tank. All those connections are with flex fuel line and hose clamps. I think I will replace the fuel filter just to be safe (no idea on condition of interior of tank) and will check all the connections.

How should I check the mechanical pump with a vacuum gauge? Check from the suction side? Do I need to have the pressure side blocked off?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/17 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I would get rid of the filter between the tank and the pump. Any filter should be located on the discharge side of the pump. Filters on the suction side of fuel pumps are notorious for causing trouble.

All hose clamps on rubber fuel lines are subject to loosening, especially on cars that have sat idle. I'd snug all of them up. If you have a way to empty your fuel tank, I suggest blowing compressed air into the tank (with the cap OFF) through the fuel outlet line.

Some tanks that have been cleaned and coated have a restricted fuel outlet line. This can cause fuel starvation, especially at highway speeds in hot weather.

I'd remove the fuel filter between the tank and the pump and NOT replace it. I'd also cut open and visually inspect the filter. If it has much debris in it, you probably need to remove and clean out the tank.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I would get rid of the filter between the tank and the pump. Any filter should be located on the discharge side of the pump. Filters on the suction side of fuel pumps are notorious for causing trouble.

All hose clamps on rubber fuel lines are subject to loosening, especially on cars that have sat idle. I'd snug all of them up. If you have a way to empty your fuel tank, I suggest blowing compressed air into the tank (with the cap OFF) through the fuel outlet line.

Some tanks that have been cleaned and coated have a restricted fuel outlet line. This can cause fuel starvation, especially at highway speeds in hot weather.

I'd remove the fuel filter between the tank and the pump and NOT replace it. I'd also cut open and visually inspect the filter. If it has much debris in it, you probably need to remove and clean out the tank.

Thanks for the tips. I will remove the filter from the circuit completely and snug all up the connections. I may put a filter on the outlet side, or find a solution to fit in the stock bowl just before the suction side.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/18 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A screen and bowl type filter might work on the suction side, but it would need to be kept clean and absolutely air tight. You'd also need to keep it away from any source of heat to avoid "vapor lock" issues. A large filter would be preferred over a smaller one. Any restriction in the fuel line from the tank to the pump will cause trouble.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The fuel pump and glass bowl location are far down on the driver's side of the engine, nowhere near anything that would cause heat. But because it is so low on the engine assembly, it would be near impossible to get to it when the fenders and sidemounts are back on. If I put a removable filter before the carb it would be directly next to the manifold, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/18 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Disconnect the suction line at the pump and with some combination of hose and fittings hook a vac gage to it. Crank the engine over with the stater oh, maybe 10 revs. See what you get.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For the brakes, definitely pressure flush the system. If you don’t have a flusher, it’s time to get one and there are some available that are quite reasonably priced. A brake hand-bleeder pump might help but pressure from the master is better!

Posted on: 2023/4/18 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - The whole brake system has already been fully bled. We did the old two-person technique and went through 3-4 bottles to get clean fluid at all corners. The nasty green globs were within the wheel cylinder itself. I'll re-bleed the brakes after I get this cylinder back on there.

Ross - Here's a video of the fuel pump suction test. Looks like it was hitting 7 inHg every pump. I don't know if that's good enough or not.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/18 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was referring to flushing, not bleeding, which should force out the green gunk but you’ll also need to determine where it came from. In a lifetime (since the mid-‘60s anyway) of owning Packards I have never seen green gunk in even the worst system so it’s definitely not normal!

Posted on: 2023/4/19 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I haven't encountered green gunk in a brake system. It might result from a wheel cylinder sleeved with brass. Old, decayed brake fluid with high moisture might attack brass and generate a green oxide.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 16:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved