Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 175

acolds, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also never trust what is in the brochures, as those were artist drawings that were done well before the cars were actually built.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Still leaves one missing. The 4 in question would now seem to be wires as was confirmed by Brian's late parts list and now in that brochure photo so the AC book must be wrong. If they had listed a quantity 2 for the screw clamp shown for water pump end, all would be understandable -- or at least as clear as thin mud.

I am kind of curious what differences there might be in the clamps if both are wire. They already had a wire listed so what is different with the new one. Must not be much since they reverted back to old when new apparently ran out.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Kev,

Was just going to point that out. The fan hub is painted engine color.

I wonder if those who put together the PI judging guide looked on this site at the V8 factory A/C install manual? Since that was made by Packard, it does seem to suggest that other clamps might have been used at times. Maybe a new guy on the line?

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hold on a second, Howard. My research doesn't indicate that P/N 473183 was wire type clamp - only that the spring wire type replaces it.

It's entirely possible that they went from spring wire clamps (as shown in shop manual) to band type clamps (as shown in the AC install), but as supplies became exhausted, they went back to spring wire (as shown by the superseding part number).

Meanwhile, either the 55-56 parts book counts per application are off or there's an application listing missing that never got corrected. However, if you look at the 48-54 parts book (Gr. 11.0122) you'll find that only one band type clamp (P/N 230085) was used (at the water pump inlet) on the 51-54 models; the rest (five) were spring wire clamps (P/N 462013). Seems to me that the V8 usage would follow similarly, then.

All that aside, clamps are clamps; if there was a significantly problem of functionality with one over the other, I suspect they would have said so in a bulletin.

We're only trying to define what's acceptable, here. It's entirely possible that use of either type (in sets, together with one of P/N 230085) will be correct.

Again, one would need to find an engineering drawing of P/N 473183 to verify its type - beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I wonder if those who put together the PI judging guide looked on this site at the V8 factory A/C install manual?

I believe that PI's "Packard Detail and Judging Guide" predates the arrival of the "Packard Air Conditioning Service Installation" document (that Howard kindly provided), here at P'Info. I'm not the ultimate collector, but never saw those instructions anywhere else and consider it a rare find.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 19:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right in that we don't know for sure but the evidence is sure starting to suggest wire. The service manual, the brochure showing wire at the one mentioned for oil cooler, the hopefully unmolested 5000 mile car with wire in the place listed for upper hose and finally the replacement type.

I can see a reason for the screw type at water pump outlet because of the thermostat. Easier to remove if needed for thermostat service. Just the one at the water pump inlet to wonder about. Whether screw or wire would be easier to remove might be a question -- the brochure does show screw type which if same type as outlet side would make sense.

As to the AC manual type, perhaps that car had been taken apart so many times fitting and documenting or photographing things that they also decided screws were easier.

I guess until positive proof appears one could go with either and not be ruled totally wrong.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The first factory A/C install manual I saw was the one Bob Aller had. I was comparing it to the one on this site. The install kit also came with a parts list as well as corrections to the manual. Also included was wiring diagram, and the templates used to know where to cut and drill. Maybe more, but that is all I remember.

I was looking at the CD's that the KC group sells, but the manual is not on it. It does have an A/C wiring diagram. I will not post it because it is copyrighted. The proceeds go to the PPG.

The second one I saw was one that one of our local Packard members purchased.

The next one was one I purchased off E-Bay. Has the same kind of spotting as the one on this site.

So I know of at least 4 originals.

BH & HH unless we can find more missing links, I agree with HH one could go with either and not be totally wrong.

EDIT: the parts list was dated 5/5/55.

Looking at general service bulletin 55GS-7, Dealer 5, dated May 26, 1955; it says that one copy of the service manual was mailed to the dealers, and the body, air conditioning and accessories sections will be mailed in the near future.

55GS-12, dated August 16, 1955; the three supplements to the service manual are attached.

WOW how would you like to been a Packard tech in 55!

Posted on: 2012/8/1 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

I think being a Packard tech in almost any year speaks volumes for the guys who were able to keep up with things.

Assuming you had easy access to or something was even mentioned in a service manual or covered on a bulletin and you remembered it was, could you take the time to find and read it if it counted against the flat rate.

In earlier years, can you imagine trying to remember prefixes and suffixes on motor numbers -- which ones meant a different service procedure or part and which ones you could ignore. Not only that but sometimes the suffix in one year meant something different the next.

Dabs of paint here and there with different colors meaning different things or maybe a complete revision which might affect what you were doing.

Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
WRT to the A/C document:

Quote:
...I know of at least 4 originals.

I haven't really shopped much for Packard literature in recent years, but compared to original editions of shop manuals, parts books, and service bulletins that I've seen, I'd say that particular piece of A/C material is comparatively rare.

Quote:
Looking at general service bulletin 55GS-7, Dealer 5, dated May 26, 1955; it says that one copy of the service manual was mailed to the dealers, and the body, air conditioning and accessories sections will be mailed in the near future.

55GS-12, dated August 16, 1955; the three supplements to the service manual are attached.

A/C was not very common on these cars, and most accessories came with instructions, but I dunno how they got by for so long without a Body section.

Meanwhile, I have a set of original GSBs dating back to 1952 and hope to be scanning them for PackardInfo in the months ahead.

Quote:

My dad was a mechanic at a Packard dealership - on and off, from 1946 through 1956. However, the span was interrupted for a few years when he and his (late) brother ran a service station in their hometown and then for a couple of years when he served in the Army (motor pool, of course). The dealer kept in touch with him all the while that he was in the service - always asking when he was coming back to work for them.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Here are two scans of the engineering drawing for 473183.

Attach file:

jpg  (302.17 KB)
1445_501e9d4e55064.jpg 1280X1251 px

jpg  (269.09 KB)
1445_501e9da9d24bb.jpg 839X1271 px

Posted on: 2012/8/5 11:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved