Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
259 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 258

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Model identification
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
Hagerty has my '39 120 insured as a "1939 Packard Series 120", if that helps. See if they will accept it that way, as a Series 160.

Posted on: 2017/1/27 8:37
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious about the decal. In addition to the one year only use of the decal did Packard also use the motor number as the VN in 38 or is that a replacement or repro decal made when the engine was changed. I would have assumed the factory 38 decals would still have followed the custom of using the body number plus sequence number --- 1103-xxxx --- format for the VN and would probably be in the typical deteriorated almost unreadable condition.

I believe California had their own unique numbering system for re-registering vehicles with replacement engines since it is one of the states that registered by motor number and maybe other states did too but AFAIK, Calif kept the original patent plates and VN intact and issued an additional ID plate. IIRC, there was a suspected but unproven example of that plate shown a few years ago when some were trying to understand the strange motor numbers on their cars.

Posted on: 2017/1/27 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
It is difficult to make out the photo, it looks like the car has a divided windshield, if so it's for sure a '38. As for the common "explanation" for anomalys that a car uses a previous year's or following years parts, in 56 years I've never seen that. If car companies do that they carefully denote same in their parts books (before serial # 123456)etc.
Some explanations say maybe a worker picked up a part from another area of the factory...that's not how factories operate.

After the car was built someone installed another engine in it.
The serial # plate looks like a rather recent aluminum repro. I know that in 37 they were chrome plated brass. Check the date of the newest patent #, can be done on google.

Posted on: 2017/1/27 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Does anyone remember who the "REBUILT 2-1-58 by John Ray" refers to?

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/27 17:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
So I am back. I did speak to the previous owner who told me the man he bought it from has had many Packards. Maybe half dozen maybe dozen. He is in indiana I think. He also said this man bought it in Arizona. I am supposed to be getting contact info of the man of many packards soon. Who knows... He may chime in here and say "OH WOW that was mine long ago! I know everything about it!". Or at least I hope! I will measure my wheel base let you know. I will also get a better pic of the rebuild plate. Thanks for all the help!

Posted on: 2017/1/27 19:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
Also I believe the rebuild plate says John& Ray. I could be wrong

Posted on: 2017/1/27 19:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Briankarl
See User information
I wanted to update anyone who followed this or helped me out. I took a closer look at my Id tag and in fact it is a decal not a plate. I don't know if the decals are reproduced or not. I've taken pictures but the quality is so poor I don't want to post any until I can get the car out into natural light. I've discovered that all the door handles, window cranks, and visor brackets are ribbed which someone else told me is only on a 38' model. I've measured my wheel base and it is 127". I was able to get insurance and corrected my new title to read model: super eight. Thanks for all the help

Posted on: 2017/2/2 8:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the decals are reproduced.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 9:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved