Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Factory A/C Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I have seen tubing 'blue prints' where the depiction was a straight piece of tubing, however along the length of the tube there were notations of a change in the coordinate system. These would be the same as the angle and direction that the tube had to be bent. I suspect there could be 'view AA' notations and a table.

Just an easier way to draw the print, and perhaps there was a master tubing print on-file that the draftsman started with and just had to add the total length of stock to start with and the bending details, which produced a unique part number print.

In my first experience with this print format at least we had a full side piping diagram and a stack of plumbing, which was clearly not straight. After a few minutes it was painfully clear what was going on.

dp

Posted on: 2017/5/29 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've seen prints that way too but in this case length is X and there is a hand-written note that says, Final length & shape to be determined by experimental car build up. It's ?" diameter tubing that is double flared using G137397 flare nuts on either end and all dimensions for the flares but otherwise the print has nothing useful for the actual part. Also, the print is for both part numbers 465559 and 465560.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don,
Was going to come to the shop today anyway. Working on carpet patterns.

I believe these are what you are looking for.

Wow, the wasps, muddobbers and not sure what the other ones were were on that car trunk and engine bay.

Attach file:

jpg  (580.70 KB)
1220_592c7f49c1cf4.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I'm comparing these to the ones on my 55 Caribbean, and you can see the ones on the car are not routed the same as the factory A/C manual or the way the parts car is.

WOW, these oil lines are not connected or routed correctly.

Compared to the factory A/C install manual, the front of the block should connect to the top of the oil canister, the top of the block should connect to the bottom of the oil filter canister. The bottom should have a 90 degree fitting as well. My Caribbean is connected backwards!

Attach file:

jpg  (245.59 KB)
1220_592c804c20bee.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (245.71 KB)
1220_592c80621de76.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 15:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
First time I've seen seen a set out of the car! Other than being routed differently, does it appear that they will work and are they available to buy or borrow? If so, please PM me. Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 15:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The long tube looks very straight. I wonder if it might have been a bit deformed over the years. If it will miss the fill tube and water manifold, the small one should work on the bottom with the straight fitting in the block and the 90 elbow on the filter. That would keep the filter fairly close to the way it was when on the drivers side. Mine is just the reverse of that. I wonder if there was a difference in years. Mine was copied off a 56 but who knows if that was even original.

The filter on the engine above has the inlet and outlet reversed. On the very first 356 filters when, I think they used Purolator canisters, it was done that way. After the first year or two believe all factory supplied were inlet on the side and outlet on the bottom. Some of the aftermarket filter assys still had the bottom inlet into the early 50s. I don't suppose it matters much unless the center pipe has the tiny holes. Those could get clogged easily with dirty oil hitting them first. Also, the comparatively small surface in the center of the filter would get full of dirt quicker than the large circumference around the outer edge.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On my 56 Exec with 86 toyota compressor and HOMEMADE engine mount to mimick the OEM Packard mount:

I had to move oil filter to right side of engine too, Mounted in a most similar manner that OEM packard mounted the filter on AC equp. cars.

HOWEVER, I picked up the oil line FEED from the BACK of the engine at the Oil pressure sending unit connexion using a T fitting or something.

The lower drain or return line of the filter cannister i plumbed to the OEM hole in the top of the block as the factory did originaly.

I never did like the FEED line taken from the front of the left heaad anyway. After adding the AC bracket i definately was NOT going to fight trying to make the connexion at the front of the head for the feed line. So's i changed it to feed filter from oil pressure sending unit at back of engine.

As a side note:
At a later date when the timing chain got slack (after only 20K miles)
I rigged a SMALL tube INSIDE the timing gear case as a kind of extensionn of the drain back hole in the front top of the block.

The tube directs oil directly at the slacck side of timing chain to give it extra lube. AND YES, i know, it should be directed at the TENSION side of the chain to be perfectly Hoyle. But i did the best i could at the time. ALOT better than OEM design with the oiler at the cam retainer.

Somewhere in this forum at about year 2012 should be posts with pics.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 20:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the rear fender air inlet grill, I wrote to the company that made them originally to see about getting some of the material but did not get a response so far. However, in filing old emails, I just saw that I had told them I was dead rather than deaf so they likely think I'm a real nut-job! Maybe I am but that's another story. Anyway, I wrote again with a correction so perhaps I'll get a response this time.

Posted on: 2017/7/4 13:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don,
Are you talking about the 53-54 A/C now?

Posted on: 2017/7/4 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, 1953-1954 would be the ones with the fender air inlet grills! Anyway, sorry for accidentally bringing in earlier questions about '55-'56 as I momentarily forgot what the thread was about and was thinking only Packard A/C, having both 1954 and 1956 models myself. I'm trying to stick only to the '53-'54 from now on in this posting.

Posted on: 2017/7/4 18:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved