Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Executive script position
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Yes, that was on of Nance's original goals -- two distinct lines of cars-- and it was close to achieved in '56. The seniors definitely departed from the Clipper styling on both ends. It's tough to change public perception quickly, though, and Packard never had the extra years to bring the plan to fruition. I'm sure it caused a lot of confusion and frustration with the dealerships. Many quit and for those who stayed, of course, whoever screamed the loudest probably got their way. Awful position for Packard, to be so desperate to hold onto their dealer network that they'd do almost anything to appease the remaining ones.

The Executive script on michaelk's car is misplaced on both sides of the car, so I guess it would've had to be both fenders suffered damage if the bodyshop theory were correct.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 20:08
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
I will check again if the car had an accident. The panel below the trunk lid (don't know the correct expression in English) is definitely the original part, so what kind of accident would damage both rear fenders but not the parts in between? (Hope you understand what I try to explain...)

To all of my knowledge, Clipper was indeed registered as a make of its own ("Packard-Clipper Division, Studebaker-Packard Corp."), but for 1956 only. Intended was to fill the gap between Studebaker and Packard without diluting the Packard name, hence my earlier remark.

If I'm right with this, it's also clear why 55th series Clippers wore a Packard script: They were just that: Packards.

History teaches that such manoeuvres in most cases fail because the public just ignores. This was the case with the Continental or the Thunderbird shortly later: Both were registered makes, but for the man in the street they still were Lincolns or Fords, respectively...

Posted on: 2009/2/15 20:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Oh, you were quicker... I'm a bit handicapped as English is not my mother language.

Beside the mentioned Packard script you find no sign or mark of Packard on the Clipper, and it got it's own logo (silver helm wheel on black background). With one exception: On the lowest-level Deluxe was a wheel cover with "Packard Clipper" script and a red hexagon were Supers and Customs wore the helm wheel. Guess, they used up '55 stock of these covers...

Posted on: 2009/2/15 20:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
I finally managed to get a better pic in a useable size. Car is repainted, position of the script is on the same height on both sides.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.08 KB)
80_499aae258c0db.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2009/2/17 7:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice angle in that last pic.

I always like the parallel run of side moldings on the Exec as opposed to the broad downsweep on the flanks of the '56 Clipper Super and Custom. The minmal use of side modlings on the Deluxe offers a nice clean look.

On the other hand, I like the sweeping lines of the side moldings as used on the '55 Clippers - made for some dramatic two-tone paint jobs.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 8:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I fully understand why Packard needed to try the Executive to placate unhappy dealers, but IMHO the most beautiful car built by Packard in 1956 was the discontinued Clipper Custom. The Clipper grill in 56 (not 55) was gorgeous, while the senior Packard grills looked to me to be a bit too massive. I say this despite owning, and loving, a 56 Patrician.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 13:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
While I prefer the lines of the side trim on the '55 Clipper over the '56, I'm with you on the '56 Clipper grille, but Clipper-to-Clipper. The '56 Clipper grill reminds me of a lot of custom grilles used on vehicle even in recent years.

However, I still like the '56 Senior grille - especially with the gold screen.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Mixing existing components of the 55th and 56th series, the Packard of my dreams would look like this:

Starting with an Executive Hardtop, it would retain it's most beautiful parts (to me): Front clip (no Caribbean hood because I like the cormorant or whatever it is ), and the Clipper tail lights. I then would take the side trim of the '55 senior, complete with running lights, and the '55 Clipper trunk lid which looks to me more graceful than the "fat" back of the '56. The trunk would get the rear trim of the '55 senior. The Caribbean would donor the engine (of course), the reversible seat benchs and side panels (I'm happy with the Exec's dash and instruments), the wire wheels (which is, as far as I understand, a little bit tricky on the 122" chassis), dual rear antennas, and the Hypalon roof - in black, please, as the car would get Naples Gray paint. Interior would either be red or red and black. And the script on the trunk lid would read "Grey Wolf III"

In the real world, my Exec is far too good to become such a rig. It will stay original and I just love is...

Posted on: 2009/2/19 4:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
5677A. The "A" means automatic transmission.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 6:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the A stands for automatic were there no standard transmission Executives available at all? I am curious because the parts book only lists parts (anything I looked at) for the 72A and 77A. I saw no reference to a 72 or 77.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 9:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved