Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 61

humanpotatohybrid, PennyPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Antique or special registration plate laws in other states
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
For all those who think Kansas is as flat as a pool table, I say come on out, I'll show you around and change that misconception rather quickly.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Eric: What is the highest natural land elevation above sea level in Kansas.

John F Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/7 20:35
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mt. Sunflower, KS 4,039ft.

Looking at the elevation map Kansas gets "taller" as it goes further West.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
It's gotta be that mountain where the witch's castle was!

PA isn't that bad. I've lived here since I was 13. Overall, I'd say it's one of the better yankee states. They just like to get their fees and fees paid on fees as often as possible. I do use the special plates to get out of paying lots of them. I have 5 cars with either antique or classic plates on them and I alternate them daily. I work 4 days a week and they cover 2 weeks. Thurs, Fri, and Sat in one week while Sunday is technically the next week. This saves hundreds of $ per year and my daily commute is never boring. PA has got to be the worst state to die in as the state keeps almost half of everything you own.
As for the DMV, I've never had trouble till this car. The area I'm in considers the car legally junk if they can see it from the street since it's still not registered.
Yes, the emission laws here are a joke and totally backwards. If you own a car from 1974 and older you can smoke and leak to your hearts content but if you are missing anything on a 75 and later car that tries to be clean they throw the book at you. Even if you drive less miles than the max for "exemption" status, you still pay $40 for nothing.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Chuckltd: I have debated about making this reply to you. I only do this because you live in Pe. like I do.

You useing antique and classic plates on cars that you use to commute to work. What you are doing is abusing a system set aside for hobbiest who apply for and use these plates for the right reasons set down by law. Because of what you do increases the registration cost for my business work truck and our personal car.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:45
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There is nothing wrong with using a classic car to commute to work in.I've done it before, and I highly recommend that anyone who owns a classic car especially a Packard use it as a daily driver every once in a while. These cars were meant to be driven, not stored in a museum.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
My only defense of my "driving" practices is this: I have tried repeatedly to register 2 different cars with regular plates and have been refused each time. One was a 1978 LTD that I've owned for 9 years and now this 48 Packard. If it's any consolation, I drive about 4K tops each year split between 5 cars minimum. Even the local notary told me to give up on trying with the LTD.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 19:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

Don't confuse the mere classification of a vehicle as antique or classic with the terms of registration as such. PA specifically states:

Quote:
It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.

...but they then go onto clarify that:

Quote:
Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

That said, there's nothing wrong with driving a vehicle that is registered as an antique and classic to work - just not every day. Heck, I've driven my old cars to work, and some old car clubs even promote the idea.

The use of the term "week" provides a bit of a gay area, but I won't go into that. Suffice it to say that, with the exception of a real prick or someone with a personal vendetta, most police officers here aren't gonna bother you about driving on those tags unless the see a flagrant abuse of the privilege.

Now, the one Pat that I plan on making into a daily driver will get regular plates (and pass state inspection), and I'll drive it whenever I damn well please.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
John -

I understand your point that people who skirt annual registration fees water down the revenue stream, giving cause to raise fees, but my impression of this Commonwealth is that the plutocrats in office are always looking for some way to get more money out of our pockets, while delivering less value to us.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I must say, Pennsylvania seems to have one convoluted DMV system when you can't even register a 30 year old assume nothing out of the ordinary produced Ford as a regular vehicle. The description of antique license also sounds a lot like Calif wording so what are you to do if they won't let you register as regular and not supposed to drive as antique.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved