Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 1955 Clipper Customs w/o TL
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Simpilicity. Less can be more when it comes to mechanicals, as any experienced engineer will tell you.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
firedome wrote:
Quote:
Simplicity. Less can be more when it comes to mechanicals, as any experienced engineer will tell you.

<p>Then buy pretty much any other mid-50s car.</p>

<p>A 1955 Clipper is not the prettiest 1955 car made, that's for sure, although I happen to like them.</p><p>If one is going to buy a 1955-56 Packard, then T-L is one of the major features that differentiates a Packard from anything else. Otherwise, just buy a Ford or a Chevy.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/9 18:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Then buy pretty much any other mid-50s car.

Agreed. Or stick with the '57 and up Mopars with their half-a$$ed Torsion suspension...

The thing that makes the V8 Packard unique is the suspension. Without it, it's just another '50s car, IMHO. Also IMHO, they should have had the T/L at least as far back as '51, if not earlier. One of these days I might retrofit a T/L chassis under my '48..... The 2" difference between my '48 and a '56 Clipper won't be that hard to hide.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The T/L suspension was as simple in principal as a coil sprung car, and as reliable and trouble free, especially when compared to the air suspension monsters Cadillac made after T/L debuted.
Someone in 1955 might have thought it unproven and gone with coils and leafs, but that would be their loss. The only real problems with T/L cars beyond corrections with links is electrical, and people today are as lost on thiis as they were in '55-'56, preferring to bodge up the electrics bringing it down to their level instead of understanding what the manufacturer was doing.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 23:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well said, John.

What blows my mind is that rebuilt and even new replacement compensator control boxes for these cars can often be had for much less than the retail price of a comparable part used with the ALC systems of many late model cars. Yet, there have been plenty of people who succesfully took the T-L control box apart on their own for cleaning and adjustment.

55th Series limit switches are available, and you've commented on how to repair the hard-to-find 56th Series limit switches. Haven't the solenoids also been sourced out to modern replacments?

It's when these T-L cars have been neglected and run without the required repairs that people get into the most trouble.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 23:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The only real problems with T/L cars beyond corrections with links is electrical, and people today are as lost on thiis as they were in '55-'56, preferring to bodge up the electrics bringing it down to their level instead of understanding what the manufacturer was doing.

You mean like this guy is doing? See post #22.

LMAO, sorry JT, I couldn't resist!

Posted on: 2010/1/10 2:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Apparently Packard frames/chassis has not changed all that much. There was advertised in Missouri a few years ago a 1947 Clipper body mounted on a 55 Caribbean chassis. He wanted $1500.00 for it.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 2:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Randy, that's interesting. Looking at the frame diagrams it doesn't look like it would be too easy to do.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 4:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I prefer the TL, and to me it's THE prime attraction of the 55/56s, along with the V-8 and great styling, but obviously this gentleman prefers a car without it for whatever reason, to each his own. That the non-TL car would have less issues is undeniable, no matter how technically superior TL may be, and, I was speculating, may be his reason for that particular preference.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

firedome wrote:
I prefer the TL, and to me it's THE prime attraction of the 55/56s, along with the V-8 and great styling, but obviously this gentleman prefers a car without it for whatever reason, to each his own. That the non-TL car would have less issues is undeniable, no matter how technically superior TL may be, and, I was speculating, may be his reason for that particular preference.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It seems the jury is still out on whether there were any Custom Clippers made without the T-L suspension. I am sure we have all learned something from this exchange.

I agree the T-L system was far advanced over what other marques were offering at the time. However, now, 55 years later, the V-8 forum is full of people looking for help in trying to solve problems with their T-L systems. Problems caused by use, weather, exposure, wear, and abuse over the past one-half century. The main system seems to be superior to conventional coil and leaf spring systems, but the load leveling part is the trouble maker.

I wish to have a nice V-8 Packard without having to hassle with the load leveling. I would also prefer a car without the T-U, but I can tolerate this. The Easamatic brake system is also problem prone, but is fixable and/or can be replaced with a non-boosted brake system. The car will be lightly used so traversing railroad crossings at high speed will probably not be part of the driving experience. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

(o {I} o)

P.S. One poster made a reference to people of this generation who do not like the T-L system, or words to that effect. I don't know if my generation is the one to which he was referring, but I will celebrate my 70th birthday in February. Take care, all.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved