Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 149

custo eight, kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: How many Packards are left?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NEarly all of my good finds have been strictly chance encounters. While following 'leads' has been nearly a 100% wild goose chase episode ecery time. But i still chase them. Sometimes as far as 150 miles or more one way.

The so called 'barn finds' is nearly an absurdity. Nearly all of my 'barn finds' are very URBAN to inner city. The problem is that anything rural has usualy been put thru the wringer by everyones kin over the years. Plenty of room to just park the car and let it rot. This does not seem to be the case with urban or inner city finds. In urban settings if it breaks down it is either scrapped or pushed into somekind of shelter, out of site, out of mind. I live in a rural area. A few of the local 'collectors' have also found most of their collectibles in the city.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 23:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
The so called 'barn finds' is nearly an absurdity. Nearly all of my 'barn finds' are very URBAN to inner city.

I think you're right about that.

Examples: 10-15 years ago, a Tucker was unearthed from a garage in downtown Detroit.

Jay Leno's Duesenberg sedan in downtown LA.

And too many examples to cite of other cars stored away and either forgotten or traded to a landlord for back garage rent, e.g. (I remember a story about a 1930s Rolls-Royce in the 70's that the owner was able to purchase for storage costs!).

Posted on: 2010/1/9 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I suppose the upshot of an answer to the question in the title of this thread is to count and keep track of any Packards that may surface by individuals regions.

Nonetheless, i still contend the major dealers have a good idea. I mean, they do have mailing lists don't they??? Dealers are where everyone calls to order parts.

Or, to put it another way, I don't think any Packard owners do their parts shopping at Kresge or Woolworth.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There was a recent TV episode of Pawn Stars, which is a TV show documenting what happens at a very busy pawn shop in Las Vegas. One of the customers was trying to sell them an original Shelby Cobra bare chassis and body. The customer was a tow-truck driver that was contracted by a storage company to remove it from their property due to lack of payment on the storage spot. The driver towed it and stored it for the mandatory time while sending letters to the registered owner. No one ever claimed it.

So after the Pawn Shop verified that it was a genuine Shelby, they bought it off the guy from $20,000. So this tow-truck driver makes $20,000 plus another $100 or so for the actual tow fee.

The cars are out there.......

Posted on: 2010/1/9 15:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there any data for any make of vintage car still remaining???
USe that data as a proportion of it's production figures to Packard production figures.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
One could start with the number owned by PAC and PI members.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See post #2 of this thread by Owen.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
One reason I made the OP is because, IMHO, there still seem to be a fair number of Packards out there that are "off the radar" of the clubs, organizations, etc.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
One reason I made the OP is because, IMHO, there still seem to be a fair number of Packards out there that are "off the radar" of the clubs, organizations, etc.

<p>I think you are spot on.</p>
<p>I have 3 "parts cars or better" here, two of which are complete, that I'm pretty sure are not registered anywhere. So, for a thumbnail estimate, take the number registered and multiply by 3.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/9 18:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That was the rationale for my estimate in post #2 of this thread.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 19:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved