Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 211 212 213 (214) 215 216 217 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
let me find it, there is a service post on it, it shows how to file it

Posted on: 2016/4/17 22:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2016/4/17 22:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That mod with the slots is not necessary on any 56 I have seen, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

But I do find this important for low-high shift quality: The original discs (used in Hydramatics as well), were slightly waved. This bow in the disc helped them engage smoothly as they flattened out under pressure, but it also meant that they took up a little extra space in the stack. The modern discs are dead flat and will make your stack a little shorter. That means that extra fluid has to be pumped into the clutch before it engages. That takes but a moment of time, but by then the low range band has long since released and engine revs are climbing. The result is a harsh shift.

Two things I like to do that give a very nice shift: First, I like to use a mix of the old waved and new flat discs to get a little bit of cushion action. If I have them on hand, I alternate them. Second, I make sure that the clutch pack is full. By that I mean that the stack comes up to just below the shoulder where the rear cover sits. If I mix waved and flats, I usually have to lay on an extra steel to take up space. If using all flats, I can get in an extra flat and an extra steel. Be sure to use lots of fluid during the assembly so there is something between the discs when the unit is idling in neutral on initial startup.

I would like to mention that there is nothing wrong with the original style discs. Failure only occurs with excess slipping, and that problem always come from elsewhere.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 5:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross,

Here are the pics of the Planetary Dampers and Drum wear I spoke to you about on the phone. The pics make the dampers look like there is a black like along the length, but this is just a reflection from the other damper on the table in the photo. You can see a wear pattern on the right side of each damper. You can actually feel a bit of ridge right there. The first photo shows the top wear. The other photos show the side to show the wear profile.

On the drum, if you notice the darker band toward the bottom of the drum, that is where is feels rougher. The top portion is smooth.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.71 KB)
1_57159a8d47f6a.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (39.96 KB)
1_57159a9901e3d.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (49.73 KB)
1_57159aa2dfb18.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (42.52 KB)
1_57159aac66350.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (55.11 KB)
1_57159ab853922.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (40.00 KB)
1_57159ac288c32.jpg 640X640 px

Posted on: 2016/4/18 21:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Anyone have an extra new/nos clutch disc they want to sell? I would like to add an extra disc to clutch pack as suggested by Ross.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 21:45
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The wear pattern on the side is quite normal and inconsequential. Am not so thrilled that the wear on the top surface is not even left to right. Still, the purpose of those dampers is to only to prevent "torque agony" under certain conditions. Probably whilst in its death throws your trans was not well lubricated. Anyway, I would just dress up any rough spots with some 600 grit paper damped with oil and then wash it out nicely. Have you installed the new drum bushing yet?

Did your kit come with a new rear pump bushing?

Posted on: 2016/4/19 5:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have not installed the drum bushing yet. I believe the kit from Kanter comes with the rear pump bushing.

One thing I noticed is that the new drum bushing does not have the oil slot in it like the bushing that is in there now. Is that a concern?

Posted on: 2016/4/19 8:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Order a single HR Clutch Friction disc from Kanter for $10. Should be here in a few days. So once that arrives, I will slip that into the stack with an extra steel.

Posted on: 2016/4/20 14:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
"bump"..... John

Posted on: 2016/5/31 17:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Life's been in the way lately. Havent made any additional progress.

Posted on: 2016/5/31 17:32
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 211 212 213 (214) 215 216 217 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved