Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had thought of that and looked for it while underneath but saw nothing the resembled a seam. Maybe the earlier cars had it but not 1954!

Posted on: 2021/3/13 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the Patrician, I tried removing the flex fan but due to its long bolts, the radiator must come out first so will have to wait until the next time I’m here when it is back inside and I can more easily capture the coolant. On the photo below, is this the proper fan or is it prewar? I seem to have several of these but I thought the ‘50s models had a smaller center hole..

Attach file:

jpeg  3F864703-E4E5-452E-BF20-394EBAD9BBF7.jpeg (171.39 KB)
60923_604d1a63a773d.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/3/13 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the fan, looking at the parts book shows 1953-1954 with power steering (which mine has) being the same. Of course, it shows a different part number for 1954 with factory A/C (the fan I would prefer) but oddly it lists the same part number for 1951-1953 fans! I had always thought that the A/C fan had six blades and I don’t recall ever seeing such a fan on any 1951-1953 models so any thoughts?

Posted on: 2021/3/14 22:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the 6 blade came about for 55-6 but that 53-4 AC or heavy duty cooling fan has been a question.

They mentioned the availability of a heavy duty fan in a 54 SC and said it could be made retroactive for installs back to 51 on cars that needed it. The number was given as 436856 but that part number does not show in the parts book nor did they mention what the difference was.

There is another bulletin issued in 51 where they announced a heavy duty fan and give a diameter of 19 7/8" vs 18" for the standard fan. That fan has the part number in question of 433779 as used for the 53-4 AC.

I am wondering if there was an error in part number with the second announced heavy duty fan or maybe announced but never made. Since they had already issued a heavy duty fan for 51 models maybe they realized it was not needed or the number was wrong in the announcement but corrected in the parts manual. I guess there could have been some kind of problem with the second version fan since they did issue a zone only bulletin in 54 advising mechanics check distance to the radiator core on cars that had excessive fan noise and replace the fan with still another number if needed.

Posted on: 2021/3/14 23:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! That’s exactly what I needed to know. I have a 1955-1956 6-blade fan for my 1956 Clipper Custom and was surprised to see that it looks much like a flex-fan in construction but far more stout than the one currently in the Patrician so likely does not flex much, if at all.

Posted on: 2021/3/15 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What color was the 53-54 A/C water pump painted? Was the pump body engine color and the cast 2 pulley black like the fan blade or engine color?
I looked in the service manual and A/C service manual but neither has a good picture of the water pump area.

Posted on: 2021/3/15 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, I have no idea as I don’t have one. I did, however, discover that all three fan blades that I have in stock are roughly 19” so somewhat in between the 18” and 19-7/8” that you had mentioned. Likely most were from 1951 and 1952 senior models as I parted out a Patrician and a Cavalier, the latter of which was a race car of some sort.

Posted on: 2021/3/15 16:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The pump should be engine color. Pump pulley and fan, black.

Attach file:

jpeg  C2441570-079D-4FEB-AF0F-F8A755E890E4.jpeg (268.51 KB)
1_6050bd80ba926.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/16 9:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, the pump should be engine color with black pulley but Howard’s question was about the special A/C pump and pulley.as I’ve never seen one on a car, I did not want to speculate.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 10:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Engines were painted as finished assemble. (basically everything assembled that is painted engine color and directly attached to the block). This is why the crank pulley is engine color, but all the others are not.

So cars designated for A/C would have been painted with their A/C specific water pump in place. Hence engine color.

I've never anything to contrary that their pulleys would have been a different color than standard.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 15:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved