Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Factory A/C Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Since I've already managed to mix up this thread with '55-'56 A/C questions, here is another. The steel lines I have for the oil filter bear little resemblance to Howard's but assuming they are correct, is this little bend supposed to be there just before the fitting or should that bit be straight? The sample I borrowed was damaged there so difficult to tell.

On the 1953-'54 A/C, I've made the rear inlet screens for both the fender scoops and for the rear parcel shelf using stainless in the original pattern supplied by the original manufacturer. I also made 3D scans of the dash control panel and of the rear fender scoops but the latter ended up costing a fortune as the original I borrowed had a twist to it from 60+ years of being attached to the slightly curved fender. The blueprint was also missing some key dimensions (the fender inlet screen print was also missing dimensions) so it had to be re-engineered with details from the dimensions that were there and using the scan for those that were missing. In the end, I now have a clean and accurate 3D file and have replicated a couple using a metalized Nylon-like material that is highly heat-resistant, super tough and very light. Now I need to decide if I want to have a mold made and cast them in zinc alloy or just print as needed but either way is expensive.

Attach file:

jpeg  (137.81 KB)
60923_5e3c7bed97be4.jpeg 1772X1772 px

jpeg  (172.33 KB)
60923_5e3c7bfed0680.jpeg 1536X2048 px

png  (1,133.16 KB)
60923_5e3c7e8c6ccad.png 1024X820 px

jpeg  (223.85 KB)
60923_5e3c7eb99996e.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/2/6 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don, the scoops look really good. If the nylon is heat resistant and painted to be UV resistant I wonder if it would be necessary to go with zinc. Certainly no one could tell from looks after they were mounted. If they sound too flimsy or unlike metal enough to be noticeable when tapped I wonder if spraying the inside with some kind of heavy sound deadener would dull them enough to mimic the sound of heavier zinc.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Where could one get the dimensions of the rear ac scoops??

John

Posted on: 2020/2/6 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm not sure what "Nylon-like" means, but ABS is available for 3D printing, and can be metallized to look like plated metal.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Nylon might not have been a good choice of words but the actual material is SLS Alumide which takes a very special machine to do it and very few around due to their high costs. These scoops are essentially metal.

John, which dimensions were you looking for? Not all are on the blueprint.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, since they are metal, I doubt that one could tell by tapping on them and they are thin just like the original but lighter.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 18:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved