Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
Black, sooty plugs are a sign of too rich a mixture. Check your carburetor settings and/or choke.

Posted on: 2023/5/13 5:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
No change I’d sound when choke plate moved….I do have a pretty good kink in the vacuum line from carb to distributor …I have a new one coming in and will replace just to make sure that’s not the issue…if not back to carb…..

Posted on: 2023/5/14 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The vacuum line from carb to distributor shouldn't have any ongoing airflow through it. If it does, your vacuum advance unit is probably bad. Most older ones are. Once the diaphragm starts leaking, they continuously leak air to the carburetor and your automatic spark advance will be severely compromised or inoperative. It could be the cause of a hissing or whistling sound. I'd check the advance unit and replace the kinked line. A non-working vacuum advance will cause lower performance, a hotter running engine, and reduced gas mileage. For best performance, easiest starting, smoothest idle, and best fuel economy, both the vacuum and centrifugal advance need to be working properly.

Posted on: 2023/5/14 20:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
That sounds like I could have this issue…will buy new advance to make sure..thank you

Posted on: 2023/5/16 5:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Another issue I’m confused with is the car has Manuel choke knob that runs to throttle cable then disappears under firewall…this seems to function but my carb is an automatic choke Carter wa 530s…so I guess I thought I shouldn’t need a choke cable?

Posted on: 2023/5/16 5:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Your car may have a manual throttle control. The earlier cars had one, controlled by a knob on the dash marked "T" rather than "C". The throttle cable would run from the dash knob through the firewall to a mechanism on the throttle linkage that allowed the manual throttle cable to hold the throttle open for a faster idle. On my car, '37 120, the cable leads to a widget on the throttle linkage mounted on the firewall on the passenger side. The automatic choke carburetors will also have an automatic fast idle device to prevent stalling after cold weather starts. The manual throttle is useful for warming up the engine in cold weather and for boosting the generator charge rate. You could use it for a "cruise control" but I would not recommend that. For most situations, the automatic choke and automatic fast idle system works very well.

Posted on: 2023/5/16 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
[quote]
TxGoat wrote: You could use it for a "cruise control" but I would not recommend that.

Enabling one to steer from the running board or even the back seat, but I would not recommend that (anymore).

Posted on: 2023/5/16 11:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok never knew that..mine is routed exactly as u describe…!

Posted on: 2023/5/16 12:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Finally back working on Packard…bought vacuum pump and attached to vacuum unit attached to distributor…. It does not hold any vacuum..needle does not even move when pumping and no movement in distributor…. I’m assuming I need to replace vacuum unit…any guidance would be appreciated tks

Posted on: 2023/6/9 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I don't think you can do much with one that leaks, except replace it or have it rebuilt.

I just ordered a replacement diaphragm unit for one from a source in Texas which is listed in "Services Offered" in Hemmings's Motor News.

The replacement, in my case, consists of the vacuum can only, and I will have to use the mounting bracket, spring, and adjustment washers from my old unit, whiich shouldn't be difficult.

You will need to get the information off the metal tag on the distributor body so that the vendor can send you the correct unit. My distributor is an AutoLite, and the metal tag was fairly easy to read using a mirror and flashlight.

Posted on: 2023/6/9 11:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved