Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

39Rollson, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Stinkin' Exhaust?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never noticed it, or heard anyone else comment on it. Seems to me there is a service letter about dust getting into the trunk, but I don't recall that it mentioned exhaust fumes. The small metal sleeves (at least in 1956) that fit between the tail pipe and the bumper opening look like they are designed to create a slipstream to aid in carrying exhaust rearward.

I see alot of differences in how much taipipe people leave (or don't leave) extending beyond the end of the bumper outlet. Some folks seem to leave the pipe deeply recessed within the bumper and I think this is not a good idea. Though I don't know exactly what length a completely stock system would produce, I did mine so the pipes extend just about 3/8 inch beyond the lower face of the bumper outlet. This way I get no "drips" on condensation/carbon etc. on the chrome.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the input on the rear bumper, Owen. It sounds like you've found a method of pipe extension beyond the outlet that's both practical and aesthetically pleasing.

Speaking of aesthetics (just love to try to spell that word without looking it up), the entire bumper assembly of the '55 and '56 seniors has always been problematic. Considering how quickly Packard had to adapt the bumper to the new "cathedral" taillights of wunderkin Dick Teague, it works fairly well, but obviously has some compromises--especially the gap between the bottom of the taillight assembly and the bumper.

Never could figure out exactly how this works--I've seen examples of bumper fitments that range from quite good to quite terrible.

Any tricks to getting the bumper right, or is it a matter of luck getting a good one from the factory?

(Technically off-topic, but pretty close, as the exhaust and bumper are integral parts in this arrangement.)

I always think it's critical that a car look good from behind, because that's the longest view most people get of your car on the road. Especially if you keep on speeding up juuuuuust enough to stay in front of them.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 23:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I added stainless extensions that just slip over the tailpipes and they stick out about 1 1/2 inches beyond the chrome tips and the bumper. They are not obtrusive and do keep the exhaust and carbon off the bumper tips.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.17 KB)
23_4b1898bbe5c91.jpg 1152X1152 px

Posted on: 2009/12/4 0:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust System Roundup
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
It was an option on California Packards back in the '50s.

I doubt the accuracy of this as converters did not come into use until the 1970s with the introduction of unleaded gasoline with California being one of the first states to mandate its use.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
It was an option on California Packards back in the '50s.

I doubt the accuracy of this as converters did not come into use until the 1970s with the introduction of unleaded gasoline with California being one of the first states to mandate its use.

That was what is known as a "tongue-in-cheek" reply. In other words, I know it isn't true, and I figured everyone else did too.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
OK, back to my very serious and painstakingly worded post above on bumper alignment.

Look at the photo above. I'm making absolutely NO JUDGMENT on the car or the owner, but this is a typical 55-56 senior rear bumper alignment. Does anyone else see what I see? An uneven gap in front of the bumper where it meets the rear fender, and that hang-down look of the bumper itself.

Is there a fix for this other than putting a couple of big jacks under the bumper and 500 lbs in the trunk and going at 'er?

(Eric--you're posting snide remarks explaining your previous snide remarks now?)

Posted on: 2009/12/5 14:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
(Eric--you're posting snide remarks explaining your previous snide remarks now?)

The last one wasn't meant to be a snide remark, sorry for the confusion. (this one isn't either, mind you)

Posted on: 2009/12/5 18:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
This suits you better?

Attach file:

jpg  (140.50 KB)
23_4b1af7b933c4f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/5 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is there a fix for this other than putting a couple of big jacks under the bumper and 500 lbs in the trunk and going at 'er?

You are joking about the use of brute force, right? Typically if adjustment is needed it's just a matter of aligning the bumper irons; sometimes you might need a shim here or there, or perhaps elongate a couple of bumper iron bolt holes. Pretty routine body shop stuff.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 20:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
That Caribbean would be acceptable, yes.

Owen, you're right, I'm joking, like Eric was in his first post about the converter (sorry Eric, snide is really not the word for it-- maybe more like satirical, but that's too many syllalables).

But Owen, if it's so simple to adjust that bumper, why are so many hanging at that same angle for so long? I've seen some pretty nice restorations that do not have very good bumper alignment, and they all look out of whack in the same way.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 21:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved