Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 264

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: V8 engine castings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have engines with these casting dates 3-26-56, 4-13-56, 5-3-56, 6-11-56

56executive, thanks for that information. It's particularly interesting to see that blocks were being cast by someone, somewhere, as late as only a week or so from final shutdown of the line.

PS - It would be additionally interesting to know if these engines were originally installed in 1956 Packards, or were sold thru the aftermarket like J.C. Whitney, Stokes Marine, and the like. Can you supply that info?

It might also be interesting to know the data or approximate date that S-P's board made the decision that the 57 Packard would be a South Bend product and hence there would be no further need for that block. Anyone have that date handy?

Posted on: 2010/8/20 8:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Do your "many different sources" have =those= photos and drawings? Nope.

PackardInfo, which is among John's many sources, may not have =those= photos, but this website has had =these= images of the intended 1957 models in its Photo Archive for a few years now:

1957 Clipper Proposal
Click to see original Image in a new window

1957 Four Hundred Proposal

1957 Caribbean Proposal

Yet, enough of this "mine's bigger than yours" and spell-check crap, let's get back to the original topic of this thread.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:

" It might also be interesting to know the data or approximate date that S-P's board made the decision that the 57 Packard would be a South Bend product and hence there would be no further need for that block. Anyone have that date handy?"

A reasonable conjecture yes. But since we have evidence of a casting date about 2 weeks prior to the 56 end of production i doubt that the 57 model year had any bearing on the decision to stop engine casting.

Quite possible that engine manufacuring continued for other contracts such as boats maybe or just external foundery contract fullfillment.

A good example (somewhat in reverse) is the 454 Chevy engines never slated for the Corvette. They just produced so many of them (for trucks based on projection) that they had to do something with them. So quite possibly the Packard V8 engine production may have gone on longer than car production for other reasons such as contract fullfilment, boats or something ?????

Posted on: 2010/8/20 10:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A reasonable conjecture yes. But since we have evidence of a casting date about 2 weeks prior to the 56 end of production i doubt that the 57 model year had any bearing on the decision to stop engine casting.

I'd have to go back a re-read some old info, but I believe the 374 was intended to be used in the 57 Clipper line. If so, that would be a reason to continue manufacture? I think the best information that could come at this point on this point would be from 56executive as to whether those late engines were actually installed in 1956 cars - that is, do they have a vehicle VN on them?

Posted on: 2010/8/20 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"I have engines with these casting dates 3-26-56, 4-13-56, 5-3-56, 6-11-56"

Are those blocks painted Blue or Red??? Or some other color not offered in production passenger car???

Posted on: 2010/8/20 10:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
3-26-56 cast part # 440971 vehicle 5642-5326
4-13-56 cast part # 440275 vehicle 5677A-1756
5-3-56 cast part # 440275 stokes conversion
6-11-56 cast part # 440275A NOS AMC long block

Posted on: 2010/8/20 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many thanks for the added info, it's another piece to the puzzle.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
if we knew the date 5642-5326 and 5677A-1756 were built it should give some idea as to when the 56 dated blocks were in use? Packard was done in 1955? note from Forest McFarland to Mr W. H. Graves October 3 1955. I note your memo of September 30 to Mr. Nance states Advanced engineering is 5% under the manpower scheduled. On October 1 we should have 49 men hired in all. We have 35 at present, so we are 28% under our schedule. We are short 9 engineers and 11 draftsmen. In view of the above situation I feel it is imperative that we immediately start working overtime 8 hours per week. The more important projects we feel we are definitely behind on are.

Chassis
Complete design and build two types of ball-joint front suspension prototypes
Complete design of rear suspension incorporating harshness
reduction.
Lay out design of 1958 or 1959 chassis with revision in suspension indicated as a result of prototype work, and also 2 types of deDion suspension and have design ready for detailing by January 1st.

Lay out design of deDion type axle and driveline having 50% of parts released for making by January 1

Complete design and development of initial central power system arrangement to where it can be turned over for further development to Automotive division by January 1.

Converter development Turbines with two gear ratios with
fluid split drive.

American Bosch fuel injection
Continue with program aiming at demonstration within a matter of days, looking toward release to Automotive Engineering within the next month or two, depending on decision for attempted introduction.

Two Packards were in England being fitted with Girling disc brakes

They sure were not going to die standing still

Posted on: 2010/8/20 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
56executive -

Thanks for the additional insights into what was going on with Advanced Engineering in that time frame. So little was ever written about that aspect in the many books that have attempted to present a complete history.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Re: engine 6-11-56 cast part # 440275A NOS AMC long block.

I assume that is a 320 CID engine. Does it have the Cast Dome heads??? Or the early 55 so-called "machine dome" heads???

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved