Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 216

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, Jack Vines, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

V8 engine castings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a bit surprised that no one picked up on or had any comments on my earlier note asking where and by whom the 1956 and perhaps late 1955 engine blocks for S-P's Packard line were cast. I posed the question here after hearing the Jim Balfour lecture at the PAC National in Gettysburg where he noted that the forge and casting plant on Harper Avenue had been sold during 1955 which is confirmed in the 1955 Packard annual report to the stockholders. I thought this was "new" news, but perhaps it was already well-known and understood? I've tried to determine if the forge/casting plant was sold as an ongoing operation to which S-P might have contracted for the castings, or sold for real estate development, but haven't been able thus far to uncover any relevant information. I suppose the casting operations could have been done by Studebaker?

This didn't spur anyone's curiousity? Anyone have any information on it? Or perhaps a way to determine the details of the transaction, such as who the purchaser was and for what purpose?

Posted on: 2010/8/18 11:56
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 engine castings
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, news to me. Can you share the PAC National presentation with us? Sure would like to know more about this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/18 20:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I have no first-hand knowledge of who bought the property. However, here are some thoughts:

1. Industrial property transfers often take years to complete after the deal is made.
2. S-P knew Packard was dead in '55. Most blocks and heads I've seen have 1955 casting dates. 1956 dated parts are quite rare. They probably cast what they thought they'd need and shut 'er down mid-1956.
3. No way Packard engine casting was moved to another facility. No reason to do it, since they had still had stacks of leftover engines when car production ceased. Newman and Altman sold complete Packard V8s for several years, up into the 1960s.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/18 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Gents ...politics aside.......I'd love one day to get to a PAC National meet here in the Western US. What are the practical reasons so many meets 'seem' to be held east of the Mississippi?

Posted on: 2010/8/18 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
No way that "S-P knew Packard was dead in '55." Read James A. Ward's "The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company" (1995). On January 15, 1956 Packard made a request to the insurance companies for money to finance the all-new 1957 models. On January 27, James Nance was informed that the request had been turned down. THIS is what killed Packard.

And, if "S-P knew Packard was dead in '55", why did S-P plan the all-new 1957s all the way thru 1955 and 1956? Read The Packard Cormorant magazine #125 and #136.

As to PAC holding the national meets in the east, if any Western Regions would like to host a national meet, please contact the PAC Board. You need about 15-20 people working hard for two years in advance to pull one of these events off.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 22:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What are the practical reasons so many meets 'seem' to be held east of the Mississippi?

Kevin - just seconding what ECAnthony said, the first step in having one in any area is having a local PAC region create a viable plan and submit it to PAC's board. I see a region in Mesa, AZ - why not try to get them behind such a project?

Posted on: 2010/8/18 23:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can you share the PAC National presentation with us? Sure would like to know more about this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

JW, perhaps Mr. Balfour's presentation will be reprinted at some time in the future, or perhaps he'd be willing to share some of the text of it, I'll ask him. But I did ask him subsequent to his presentation if he had any further information about the sale of the Harper Avenue forging and casting plant and he indicated that he did not. That's why I was hoping someone here would dig into it.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 23:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
O-D, Packard was trading work with AMC (Hudson) during the V-8 years, it has been written that Hudson produced the stamped portions of the V-8 engines, the valve covers and oil pans, probably the valley pans too, could it be that Hudson also cast the blocks and heads? This also begs the question of the Ultramatic housings and 1955 rear end housings.
The land where Packard's foundry sat became in short order the I-94 expressway, according tohttp://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/early_I-94.html

the expressway was completed to Mount Elliot street (just west of where the foundry sat) in 1957, and was completed to Conner ave. (now passing through, or under where the foundry sat)by the fall of 1958. Projects like this don't happen overnight, the expressway had been under construction since 1953 (as a modern submerged expressway, it had been under construction as a direct road linking war factories from east to west since 1942) it is not unreasonable to think that the federal trasportation folk may have tapped Packard on the shoulder re: eminent domain and the foundry land as early as '53 or '54. The massive Dodge Main plant sat just to the north of the Packard plant, and they would have had more clout and were undoubetedly left alone in the routing of the E-way.
Gemmer gear was on Mt.Elliot, parts of that plant remain today.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 23:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Mr. PB, useful information about the expressway. I'd read years back but forgotten about Hudson doing stampings for S-P.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 23:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
It would have to factor in, given the timetable for Packard's shutdown of the foundry and the construction of the Expressway.

Posted on: 2010/8/18 23:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved