Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: jrbuzz's 1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Seats...

Attach file:

jpg  (36.17 KB)
2923_4d67042d15945.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Last one, I swear!

Attach file:

jpg  (47.88 KB)
2923_4d6704d252371.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Paul,

Looks great!!!! I'm glad you got her home!

I've had mine out for about 4 test drives, locks up somewhere around 40mph with a little kick. Goes right into reverse and low/high with no delay, i've been pleased so far. Would still like someone with experience in these cars to test drive it when the packard show in warren gets here just to let me know if anything seems off, since i've never driven a healthy ultramatic. I'm pleased with Dave's work though, no leaks and everything seems correct. If anything is slightly off, it'd probably be with the work that i did.

Waiting on the glass guy now and hopefully getting new wide white wall radials to finish the whole project up and then will post some pics.

I'm excited you got yours back and she drove well for you! What a sigh of relief when you get her back home and all seems well

Posted on: 2011/2/25 11:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like all good news and solid progress. But I'd suggest that converter lock-up about 40 mph is pretty high unless you're still giving it moderate throttle at that point. Under extremely slow acceleration (very light throttle) lock-up should be around 22-28 mph.

While that might not seem like much of a concern, if you are doing a lot of local driving and the lock-up is not coming into play, you're always in torque converter and generating LOTS of heat, the consequences of which can be tough both on the cooling system and the transmission.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 11:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One of the functions of throttle pressure is to control speed of DD engagement. It also controls the modulator valve, so to a lesser extent it also controls pressure to high range clutch making that proportional to load and conditions. It sounds as if in yours the throttle pressure might on the high side so perhaps that bent rod is messing things up a bit.

If you are unable to find another rod, perhaps doing a couple of the easier pressure tests such as DD or high range clutch and adjusting the rod you have to the pressure specifications will help. At any rate, you don't want to lower the pressure below the recommended for idle or the clutch plates could suffer if not enough pressure to keep them tightly engaged resulted.

There is a very nice article on the features and operation of the 50 Ultra in Popular Science Archives.http://www.popsci.com/archives

Do a search for Ultramatic and that particular article is in the May 1949 issue starting on page 139. There are many other mentions and brief pieces on other years as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 13:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm sure my adjustment isn't perfect on the TV also, but i need to find another throttle rod before i adjust the tranny side again, otherwise it'll change. I had a sticking throttle issue too that's solved now, so i need to go out and see what speed it locks up at now. Before, with the throttle sticking at about 1000-1500rpm, you had to "Tap" it to get it to release and then it'd shift. Seems to shift sooner now that i can actually left of the gas and not be stuck at half throttle. All little things here and there needed to finish it off.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Cort, my 50 shifts at 20 or 21 mph, everytime. The only time it didn't was when I had to put my foot in it and it shifted at about 38 or 40 mph. it is a pleasure for it to be home. I am looking forward to you having your's 100% very soon!

Posted on: 2011/2/25 23:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Paul -
What a beautiful car. That shade of green is very becoming to that body style. Your interior is magnificent. I'm very happy that you have her home at last!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 12:53
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thank you Jim! I have a fondness for this body style. (Long story) The interior is really fine, the whole car is completely original. Amazing kind of...

I am wondering about the tissue dispenser, has anybody any idea if that is a Packard option, or just period add on?? It is visible below the glove box in the pic showing the steering wheel.

When I got her back I realized the mirror on the passenger sun visor says "Packard" with the logo on the top with frosted areas for mileage, etc.!! Like a gift.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Paul, I'll test drive it today now that the throttle is not sticking and see what i get, it may shift at a lower RPM. If not, i can adjust the TV linkage some. Lastly, i don't know what rear gear ratio i have, which would affect lockup speed.

Waiting for the glass guy to call before i put the newly window moldings in, and leaning heavily towards getting wide white radials on. Will be washing and posting pics and thanks to everyone shortly, and hopefully should make the warren show this year.

Your car is looking great and i'm glad it came out well for you! Green does lay well on these bodies.

That mirror sounds neat!

Posted on: 2011/2/27 9:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved