Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Blackberry's suck, my wife had a Storm and it was an everyday ritual to have to pull the battery to get it to reset. Now that she has the HTC Incredible it doesn't happen anymore. I love my Droid, I got the Eris when it was on sale, and I kinda wish I would have waited and got the Incredible, because it lives up to it's name. I thought about the original Droid, but I hate phones with moving parts, so I went with the Eris, the only other Android phone Verizon had at the time.

Now, please tell me you've rooted that sucker????

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
LOL no i haven't rooted it! It's done everything i've asked without having to, so i haven't gotten around to playing with it.

For $30 bucks (one time) you can buy pdanet so you can plug a usb cable into it and then into a laptop and use it's internet connection on a laptop. It's pretty damn fast too! I was going to root it to do that until i saw how cheap the program was and that it wasn't a monthly fee scam.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
With root you don't need PDANet...

And, IT'S FREE!

Posted on: 2010/11/5 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Put the new timing set on without moving crank or cam and wound it over a few times and it seemed to line up well as below: (Pic was taking slightly above them, so they look a little out of line in the picture, but not so straight on)

About to put the timing cover and water pump on, what do you guys use/prefer for sealant? I saw a ton of RTV on mine but i saw a lot of leaks too.

For the gasket between the plate the timing cover bolts to and the block i used a copper tack gasket glue just to keep things held while i worked. Didn't have anything on it before and didn't look like it could really leak while there were tight bolts into it.

Lastly, the front seal is just cork that rides in its spring loaded holder? So you just slip it on the crank and put the cover on? Seems like a simple setup, hope it's effective!

Attach file:

jpg  (163.33 KB)
1420_4cd76b76da16c.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think just a gasket cement on one side to hold should be plenty. Make sure the cover is flat around the holes so it gets good equal pressure between--just like the oil pan. Maybe not necessary, but I think I would moisten the cork with oil so it doesn't spin dry on start up. There was also an arbor that fit over the crank to help in centering the cover with use of a feeler ga. I think that was fairly important so the seal was not subject to off center wear. I would at least eyeball to center the crank in opening as much as possible.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Be sure that the cork crank seal is cemented firmly to its holder, and that it will slip with a light push over the nose of the vibration damper. Many of the repops are a skosh too small and will not slide on the damper. Then the damper holds them away from the face of the timing cover and they do not seal at all. You can sand them til they fit.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Very important:

Do not tighten the timeing chain cover bolts until the harmonic balancer has been fully seated and tightened. Once the balancer is installed then go back and tighten the timing chain cover bolts. This keeps the seal in the cover concentric with the snout of the balancer.

Some engines have dowel pins for the timing cover but most engines don't. Not sure what the Packard sreight 8 has.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WAIT a minute! There is something strange about that crank sprocket!!! The timing mark on the crank sprocket appars to be on the SHINY SHOULDER surface of the sprocket.

That shiny shoulder is where the harmonic balancer butts up against. VERY unusual. Usualy the mark would be out just below the gear tooth. Better clean up that gear and take a closer look. Or maybe all Packard streight 8's are that way?????

Clockwise, look at the 3rd and 5th teeth of the crank gear. The 3rd appears to have a mark on the tooth and the 5th appears to have a mark just below the tooth.

However, the way it is currently lined up in the picture above would be considered correct relative to crank key position. Strange that the timing mark is on the gear shoulder tho.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 7:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
It's a brand new (from china through kanter) timing set, i didn't see another mark on there at all. Plus, when i put it on in the exact position of the old one, it lined right up using that mark.

To be sure, i'll take the old one out and slide it over to see if it lines up in the same plate relative to the keyway on both gears

. (I did notice that with 1/8 TDC on the crank the keyway points at seemingly exactly 12 o clock. Good info for people troubleshooting other eights out there.

The balancer wouldn't be spinning relative to the crank sprocket, they would be moving together right? I'm assuming your concern is that the mark could be wore down?

Posted on: 2010/11/8 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I was not aware that it was a NEW sprocket. I was only trying to analyze the situation if perhaps someone in years gone by had remarked an old sprocket or something.

Regardless, i would try to put somekind of mark on the or near the tooth for later reference if the engine is disassembled later on. OR just keep a good copy of the picture u posted above for later reference.

So everything should be ok just the way it is now.

Just out of curiosity, where was the timing mark on the OEM gear u removed????? Probably out nearer the gear tooth i'm guessing.

I'm anal-retentive. I like to compare parts and analyze them.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 9:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved