Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: The big coolant disaster. HELP!
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Best argument settler on what is correct is the Packard Factory Parts Book. There are no lock washers on the manifold studs.

On a manifold stud hole that goes into the water jacket there is no danger of drilling "too deep", there's only water at the bottom, that is unless there are diamonds hidden there by James Bond.

As some have correctly implied, the block does not get very hot, sealer will work just fine and not degrade. Before metric studs and the internet were available, mechanics drilled to the next size adn retapped the hole. When heli-coils were invented they were often used.

Putting in a metric stud with a metric nut may make a disaster for the next owner who might mix up the nuts and ruin the threads on two studs and two nuts.

I think many people make too much out of a simple repair job.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From the owner of the car in post 6 of this thread he states:
"The nut was barely on the stud, perhaps 2 turns, but rusted in place. And there was no washer"

So i assumed there is supposed to be a washer between the nut and the retainer.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also from post 3 of this therad from one our more eloquent and knowledgable Packard guru's:

"Exhaust manifolds expand at a different rate than the engine block due to the higher temperatures they encounter, so there must be some freedom of movement, hence the attachment with studs, washers and nuts and the oversized (elongated in some cases) holes in the manifold for the fastener."

Note that he indicates WASHERs are used.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The parts book was no help as it just lists X for the number of washers but the manifold install procedure does state to install the nuts and washers and doesn't list exceptions. Also covers the alignment issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.95 KB)
209_4ce406e3306b8.jpg 552X223 px

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Since the don't mention the retainers at all in the above passage, I believe that is what they are referring to as a "washer".

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bottom line: What is there to keep the nut from loosening??? We're dealing with heat/cooling cycles and vibration conditions on an exhaust manifold assembly.

Possibly the nut carries a SPECIAL part number and NOT a standard-parts part number???

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the actual shape of the retainer helps to keep the nut in place. Not to many reports of people loosing manifolds because of loose nuts on these engine. Same general design was used for almost 20 years. If someone was really worried about it, a little bit of non-premanant locktite would give some peace of mind.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
From everything that I can tell looking at my engines the nut on the manifolds is your standard, fine threaded nut. I've owned straight eights for years, and have never had one some loose.

I've had more than one of the dang studs break on attempted removal, but that's par for the course.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 13:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I use brass nuts that came with the car. I don't know whether or not they are original to the car but my guess is that they are. Brass expands more quickly than steel when heated so I suspect that this helps to keep the nut from loosening on the stud when heated. It would also help keep the nuts from seizing to the stud.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've come across both brass and steel, I would like to think the brass ones are original and the steel ones are replacements from the past. I'd think that brass would be the way to go if you need to remove the nuts for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 17:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved