Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Is adding air conditioning an unobtainable myth?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not expert on the AC pulley. But it has been my understanding that PMCC OEM AC pulleys are either cast iron or cast Aluminium. NOT a steel stamped pully as JP has pictured above. OR it looks stamped steel to me.

I wouldn;t worry too much about pulley ratio spinning any modern compressor too fast (with in reason). Doubt that there is much worry about OEM compressor either. For the V8's the system should have been designed from the factory to sustain at least 110 mph all day long so figure engine/compressor rpm limitations from there.

Be sure to to allow for hood clearence on any mount mods made for the modern compressor and any lines that mite come out of the top of the compressor.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 9:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mock it up before any final installation is done to insure AC belt clearence for the water pump/fan pully. MIne rubs the pully slightly. IIRC someone a a couple of years ago had indicated that even the oem Packard set up would rub a little bit too.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 9:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Exec with compressor from 85'ish Toyota and cast aluminium AC crank pulley has a 5-5/8" OUTEr diameter compressor pulley. I Didn;t measure the crank pulley. Someone else mite have one easy to measure.

I've ran this set up for 10+ years mostly at speeds 70 to 80 mph on I'state hwy here in hot and sticky Tennessee summers, 3.07 or 3.09 which ever it is rear axle and 235 75 R15 tires.

So figure ratios based on that example and others.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Since the question often arises as to which LATE model/aftermarket AC compressor is best or most widely used then maybe a good idea to come up with somekind of roster or index or directory of what compressors are currently in use.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the question often arises as to which LATE model/aftermarket AC compressor is best or most widely used then maybe a good idea to come up with somekind of roster or index or directory of what compressors are currently in use.

Unless the car had aftermarket AC from the 50's & early 60's where there seems to be any number of relatively low volume compressor brands, I'd bet the vast majority installed from the later 60-70-80's and even into the early 90s had the aluminum York compressor. Cast iron Tecumseh's were also used in that era & both were OEM and aftermarket for lots of cars. Chrysler had their own and was not retrofitted much to my knowledge. Yorks were pretty much the generic "Sanden" of that period with the occasional GM used. There were several big aftermarket vendors and some evidence that the huge ones like ARA might have had their own or used the same as the OEM used (Lehighs in Packards case, are shown in several of the pictures).

GM's A6 was a great compressor but the long length kind of limited their aftermarket use--it was available though. The R4 did see a few applications but early on was not nearly as robust. While short, it was a fairly large diameter which could also cause fit issues. Once the Japanese compressors came on hard, they pretty much took over because of their capacity, smoothness, small size and with a bolt on head or adapter, numerous mounting and hose connection options. The Sanden SD7 series was very similar in capacity to the average size York used and is probably the most used on larger engines today. The SD5 is smaller capacity and used on smaller engines. I don't think many aftermarket companies sell much else today for the average kit.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 11:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I did some more checking today about what compressor to go for as, despite what Peter Packard says, it gets bloody hot down south over here in summer and I'm all for air con for those times. I was shown a new replacement for the currently fitted York, less pulley, so I can stick with the original set-up if I want. However like most people it seems, going with a modern Sanden will give at least the same performance with less vibration and drag on the engine, and it's more compact into the bargain. The York pulley on mine is 7" diameter and I was advised to get a replacement as close as possible to this. The Sanden SD7H15 series (#4609) was recommended and comes with a 6" pulley and rear mounted ports so the hoses can be fitted horizontally like they are now. Unfortunately there won't be much change out of $500, but replacing the York with another York will cost something similar.

Howard, I like the design of your adapter bracket and wonder where you got it from. From what I've seen, similar style brackets are available over here but they don't have the slotted holes for adjustment. I reckon that's a good idea and if it means importing one from the US, then that's what I'm prepared to do. By the way, that pulley I showed in the earlier post is pressed metal, not cast. Regards, John

Posted on: 2011/11/9 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I bought the adapter locally some time ago but Nostalgic Air looks like they have the same item. Nostalgic adapter

Posted on: 2011/11/9 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Howard. I looked it up and it will certainly do the job. Interestingly, for an extra $10 they had another style which allows belt adjustment at the bracket and eliminates the idler adjuster. I'll check everything out again and if there's enough room to clear belts, generator etc, I might just opt for this one. My existing idler is a pain in the proverbial to adjust. Regards, John

Attach file:

jpg  (16.77 KB)
237_4ebb64de6a421.jpg 451X500 px

Posted on: 2011/11/10 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JP. I'm not sure but becareful about the adjuster type bracket and belt clearence of the h2o pump pulley. The idler pulley type pushes the belt AWAY from the centerline of the engine to tension the belt. The adjuster type bracket LIFTS the pump to tension the belt so there mite be hood clearence problems and or h2o pump pulley/ AC belt interference as the belt draws closer to centerline of engine as the top of belt raises.

Let me put it another way. The belt tensioner PULLEY type bracket has the tensioner pulley to push the AC belt AWAY from h2o pump pulley AND for tensioning in effect makeing the belt like a large circle. The adjuster type bracket only makes the belt taller and draws the power/slack sides of the belt closer together in effect making the belt as an elongated circler or ellipse.

EDIT: But even with the adjuster type bracket won;t an idler pulley still be necessary to keep the AC belt from dragging the h2o pump pulley?????

Posted on: 2011/11/10 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Packard V8. I've inspected the old girl again and you're right, whichever mount I use I'll still have to retain the idler pulley for the belt to clear the water pump pulley. But that's OK, I'm still thinking I can use the adjuster type mounting bracket as well as the idler pulley as the York compressor currently fitted sits pretty high but doesn't foul the hood. Looking at pictures of the adjustable Sanden mount, I don't think it will position the compressor any higher, more likely a little lower. If I go down this track I'll lock the idler in position and then do final belt tensioning via the compressor. Could be I'll still be able to reuse the existing belt but if not I'll just buy one of the correct length. I'm about to send an email to Nostalgic Air about shipping cost for the bracket as I used their web calculator and it came up with $214 for a $50 part - seems a bit excessive to me! Regards, John

Posted on: 2011/11/10 19:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved