Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: '57 Packard What-If based on Turnpike Cruiser
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Mahoning63,

Thanks for the understanding words on the '58 introduction. It might have been preferred to "keep up" with the other "luxo" cars in '57, but not necessarily the best financial move IMO. The restyling from '55 had only seen 2 model years, and really wasn't "due" for the traditional 3-year upgrade, although I certainly realize that it was WAY overdue in terms of the actual body structure, which as we all know mostly dated back to '51. (But not many buyers would know that!).

Ford-based or even Chrysler-based bodies are beyond me. I really can't see Packard remaining the staid "boss of the road" without body-on-frame construction, as Cadillac continued to offer on the "real" Caddies through the '80s!

This is particularly true in the case of the T-L suspension, which I believe depends a lot more on a rigid frame than the spring suspensions do.

Just my

...and you might have change coming.

P.S.
Pulling off the restyle needed to achieve quad headlights on the '55-'56 models for '57, as you've proven was possible to do attractively, (and would've been a lark for Mr. Teague) would also have gone a long way toward diverting attention from the "old" body.

Then, Packard would've had to really get busy and sell the "sizzle" to both the dealers and the public. Diverting some of the re-tooling funds over to Marketing would've been critical for success. IMO Nance was absolutely right about that: Packard needed much better advertising, and a lot more of it.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 18:59
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
This is all great dialogue. We are benefiting from hindsight and it's still difficult, can hardly imagine the angst Packard felt not even knowing what the competition was coming out with in 57/58 let alone how they might share. Maybe Nance needed to get The Deuce and Colbert drunk and see if they would soften up.

55PGuy - here's an update with your suggestion, hope it is a little better. Had trouble fitting in the horizontal lights below the Mk II headlights but shoehorned anyway.

bkaz - points well taken. OK, the '60 Ford/'61 Mercury greenhouse stinks but so be it, Packard would have had to eat the scraps it earned. Were I Studio though, would have put together a clay with a sleeker lower roof as I described, which Teague would have been aware of since the '57 Imperial had curved side glass. Then show Nance and his marketing people "here's the difference between boring greenhouse and sleek, and here's the cost to get the sleek. How much extra volume will it bring and how much extra margin per vehicle?" If the numbers racked and stacked in sleek's favor, and Packard had the extra million to tool it, they should have done it.

On the body-on-frame question, the '57 Turnpike Cruiser and '57 Chrysler had it, the '58 Lincoln squarebird had unibody. Score one for the first two... BoF might have allowed Conner to be salvaged since it was set up for it, a big plus for Packard strategically. Also, the structural weaknesses with the Lincoln unibody have already been mentioned. In squarebird's favor would have been the under capacity of the Wixom assembly plant, although Ford wouldn't have known this until they realized the full failure of the squarebirds probably in mid-1958, way past the decision point to add/not add Packard.

As to whether the proposed '60 Packard would have looked like a Ford or Mercury, I would say this: Cadillac used what appears to be the same windshield as Chevy in the late 50s and early 60s and never missed a step. This means it was possible for Packard to use a Ford/Mercury windshield and get away with it if the rest of Packard's appearance was unique.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.32 KB)
2060_4e4dc14cdd471.jpg 489X366 px

Posted on: 2011/8/18 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Mahoning63,

Of all the designs so far, this one looks like the "soft-spoken boss of the road" to me. it has a strong, bold appearance that suggests dignity as well as speed-- lots of Packard traditions. It also adds some sportiness, with the lower roofline and a hint of aggressiveness. With a 440 lurking underneath the hood, it would've been all that.

Thanks for giving that tweak on the direction signal lamps. Looking closely at it, it appears you also have small vertical lamps at the ends of the grill. (These could be the front edges of side indicator lamps?) My original thought was rectangular direction lamps in the grill, and as a styling cue carryover from '55-'56, wrapping them around to the sides... a nice safety feature eventually adopted en-mass (about 20 years later!) by other designers. The ones under the headlights, though, are unique in their slimness an near-invisibility... a bold styling touch. They could also wrap around with a thin lens on the side that integrates into a horizontal chrome strip that continues down the fender.

The single-headlight front of the car borrows some cues from the MK II, but is also reminiscent of Cadillacs of the mid-50s. Not bad company to keep.

"What's that car, a Lincoln or a Cadillac?" On closer look, "why it's a Packard... nice car."

Posted on: 2011/8/19 19:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Same car in a darker hue:

Attach file:

jpg  (48.95 KB)
917_4e4f0c6366f8c.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2011/8/19 20:22
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
PGuy - I do believe I see the design rolling down the rode. Good job!!! It definately goes in the hopper for consideration.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Here's the full 1960 Packard what-if line-up based on the '60 Ford body shell. Try to envision with Packard exterior panels and styling.

The 2 dr coupe and conv and 4 dr hardtop use Starliner's lower windshield and ride on a 129" wheelbase by moving the Ford front axle location forward 10 inches.

4 dr formal sedan uses the Ford sedan's taller windshield, has a 3 inch insert between the front/rear doors to accommodate an optional division window and moves the C-pillar leading edge rearward by 5 inches to the original location of the Galaxie, for a new wheelbase of 137 inches. All 8 inches go towards rear legroom. Footrests would come standard. Car would go against both the 60 Special and 75 Limo and cater to the chaufer-driven executive.

Also created a very rough front mod bringing back the vertical grill theme.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.86 KB)
2060_4e55420b20728.jpg 1236X634 px

jpg  (61.84 KB)
2060_4e5542f6e460a.jpg 753X520 px

Posted on: 2011/8/24 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Some recent chatter about the '57 Packard line-up compelled me to revisit the Turnpike Cruiser idea. Here's a new front view work-up with headlights in both hidden mode and with headlight doors open. Am liking the Predictor's hidden headlight theme and surface contours around the front corners. Not so sure about the slim protruding grill. This work-up has a wider, more traditional Packard grill that doesn't stick out too far.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.90 KB)
2060_4f803b9df141a.jpg 640X384 px

jpg  (37.89 KB)
2060_4f803bb3f2703.jpg 640X384 px

Posted on: 2012/4/6 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
That is sweet, I think. Remember the "horse collar" didn't totally flop, and in the '60s Pontiac brought it back and made it a real winner. Especially nice with the hidden headlights.

What photograph did you base the computer mods on? I'd really like to see it.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 23:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Glad you like it Guy. It's based on the '58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. How Packard might have cajoled Ford into allowing use of the body is anybody's guess but it would have gone a long way towards getting to the Predictor. Maybe Ike could have been turned to for some friendly persuasion in the form of more defense contracts for Ford.

I can't get the attachment to work so can't upload, but all these image mods do raise the question of proprietary and fair use. Granted none are being used for profit but still, I have always been a bit uneasy and suspect some folks rightfully don't want to see their cars being changed for all to see.

BigKev - what's the forum's policy on image mods? Should I pull back? Thanks.

Paul

Posted on: 2012/4/10 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Mahoning63,

No response so far on your question. I have no authority on the legal aspects of your creations, but I appreciate them a lot and would like to see more. There are some "do-able" looking ideas here.

One of my "what-ifs" is what if we forgot about a continuation of the Packard body and just concentrated on a car that could jump ahead 20 years or so and incorporate a light, modern body with appropriate dimensions and wheelbase to accommodate the '55-'56 torsion level chassis. It would probably be a bit stiffer ride, but could also be a very good handling car, showing what the torsion level could have done had it been continued as a mainstream automotive platform into the '60s and '70s (as of course it should have).

I wonder if anyone has done this kind of project car or has anything in the works? It would be interesting to research what bodies might have been candidates for the Packard platform and torsion level suspension over the ensuing years for other makes.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 21:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved