Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

John Iaccino, Duncan Michael, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 40 »

Re: Newest Articles
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Now Online!

1935 Service Letters

Thanks to Howard for the donation of this content.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 11:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
For some reason, I can't open the 1935 service letters. (12:45 CST 8-9-23)

I've had no trouble with any of the others. They are a great resource.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 12:50
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They appear to download and open fine for me. Also, they view fine directly in my browser (Chrome).

What PDF viewer are you using?

Posted on: 2023/8/9 14:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
No problems opening the files overseas.

Attach file:

jpg  1935 Service Letters.jpg (10.18 KB)
757_64d40305b49f7.jpg 201X250 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 15:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I don't know what it is. It's the same one I've had for many years. The other service letters all seem to work just fine.

My computer and everything connected with it, including the connection to the internet, is obsolete.

If any change has been made to the way things work, it probably prevents this computer from functioning. An increasing number of websites no longer work on this thing, and it doesn't seem interested in downloading newer operating systems, etc.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 16:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What exactly is it doing or reporting. That will help determine the issue.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 17:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I follow the same procedure I have followed to sucessfully download many of the service letters over the last several months.

In the case of the 1935 material, everything seems fine until I attempt to open the download, at which time this message appears:

"There was an error opening the document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired." (Adobe logo)

Most everthing I have downloaded over a period of many years has the same Adobe logo associated with it when I look it up in the documents file. Some of that stuff is 20 years old or more, and it still works fine.

Google Earth and a number of other websites no longer function on tnis computer.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 17:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You may need to update your version of Adobe Acrobat. The newer versions support newer PDF versions/features and new compression levels. It's possible these pdf are using compression that your older version of Acrobat doesn't support or know anything about. Hence the corrupt message.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 18:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
This computer won't accept newer versions of Adobe, or much of anything else. It seeks odd that this function has worked well until today, and it still works on any of the other material in the literature archive.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 18:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe outdated software is the issue and if you cannot upgrade yours there may not be an easy answer without a different computer. I have a similar outdated computer issue with an old Mac that still works great for some things but is one that has a CPU that is no longer supported by Apple. I can no longer upgrade the operating system and because it has an old OS and browser I can not open some websites or get many new programs for it either.

The older service counselors on site, many of which I contributed, may have been scanned and processed on that computer and most were posted several years ago. Cannot speak to other items in the archive but those I did used a pdf converter that is built in and native to MacOS. Those files were reduced to a manageable size using a much earlier and now obsolete version of Acrobat.

The ones posted today were probably also done at that time using the same MacOS built in converter. Since Adobe went to a subscription model with Acrobat I no longer have that to use so those counselors posted today were reduced in size by another program. While the program used is not Acrobat it is using the latest Mac and Adobe pdf generation and reading specs. They should still open on any fairly recent computer. That seems to be evidenced so far by others not having issues.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved