Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: position of R9 Lockout Control Lever on OD case ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully everything else is intact. Several switches are in the engine compt.

Since you have Electromatic it has an accelerator switch operated via linkage & mounted midway on the firewall. Kickdown sw is a plunger type on a bracket just above accelerator at the bottom of firewall. Two separate switches.

Electromatic will have a single wire plunger type or "direct speed" switch on a long bracket & operated by the 2-3 shift lever linkage. Is at bottom of column area but mounted on engine side.

If you have reverse safety, that switch is shared with backup lights (if equipped) and is at the lower end of steering column side operated by R-1st lever. Will be a 4 terminal switch. On non reverse safety switch cars, it may only be a two terminal switch for the backup lights.

Governor will be on drivers side on R9s and have two short wires exiting back cover -- one for OD, other for Electromatic.

If Electromatic has been disabled, in addition to removing the fuse, sometimes as added assurance the direct speed switch wire is disconnected & taped. The governor connector is removed or disconnected and it's short pigtail out of governor is just tucked up out of the way.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 17:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I found three switches in the engine compartment -drivers side 1. The accelerator switch midway on the firewall(still hooked up ). 2. The reverse safety switch mounted on the shift rod ( not hooked up). 3. A third mounted at bottom of firewall by accelerator - guess this is the kickdown switch .

Posted on: 2012/10/27 17:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds as if this switch mounted low on the engine might be missing.

Is the rest of the Electromatic present? You might download the training manual for "Clutch and Electromatic Clutch". That gives a good description of the postwar system and shows all components. Note: the book labeled "Electromatic Clutch" is for the prewar version & is a considerably different system than yours.

Nice if yours is still there. Many Electromatics were disabled or even partially or completely removed. Nice conversation starter and feature when they work but they could be temperamental. If out of adjustment, even somewhat irritating. Many times they were not under stood or service people didn't want to take the time to adjust or keep them adjusted properly so away they went.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.21 KB)
209_508c64ccaaa77.jpg 505X372 px

Posted on: 2012/10/27 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Well - Guess what - I just went and looked . The direst speed switch is still there. Hard to see and I didnt know what I was looking at. Looks like all of the Electromatic Clutch parts are there - just not hooked up - I see the cable from the power cylinder is broken or disconnected . It should be connected to the starter- right. Dont know if I will ever get the clutch to work - but a least it's there. I assume the overdrive will work even if the clutch is disabled - right ? I know I have lots to do.

Posted on: 2012/10/27 18:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assume the overdrive will work even if the clutch is disabled - right ? I know I have lots to do.

Sure, there are quite a few who have not returned the Electromatic to operating condition but continue to have functional overdrive. Yes, the Electromatic cable connects to the starter and the chances are quite good that the diaphragm in the vacuum cylinder would need to be replaced to get the Electromatic to function - not that that is much of a job in itself though the rest of the system may have issues as well.

I've only ever driven a handful of Packards in which the Electromatic functioned just beautifully and I was really impressed by it, but in the end I just decided to do w/o it.

Posted on: 2012/10/27 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cable end is attached to a bracket clamped to the starter motor and then goes thru the pulley on clutch arm then to the rubber diaphragm in power unit. The cable and diaphragm are readily available. The switch on dash will turn off the clutch and once off, you drive the car as per any other stick shift.

Posted on: 2012/10/27 18:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Hi HH56 - How many screws hold the R9 relay to the firewall-my relay is missing and I see only one screw on the right side and another larger hole - Is this for a clip to hole the cable and the relay ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/3 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are 2 mounting screws. The photo on page 2 in post 17 of this thread and this 22nd series firewall photo from another thread shows the general loom layout. Also including photos of the relay with and without cover. If you have a hole not shown on one of the firewall photos then must have been added by a previous owner.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.09 KB)
209_5095314c82aec.jpg 640X573 px

jpg  (38.69 KB)
209_50953160d3b3c.jpg 640X573 px

jpg  (105.60 KB)
209_509531c04d55d.jpg 1277X720 px

Posted on: 2012/11/3 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks for your help - We can forget about the relay while I ask about another problem . As I was trying to get a tail light / stop light to work, I must have blown something. I now have no head lights or tail lights - the signal lights still work . Is there a fuse or circuit breaker for head lights -tail lights ?

Posted on: 2012/11/3 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the 48's power is fed from starter solenoid battery post to ammeter. Out of ammeter to a splice which feeds ignition switch, an aux circuit breaker input post located on back of cluster and then using the CB post as a either a tie or another splice point, on to the headlight switch.

The aux CB feeds the courtesy lights and the brake lights. The headlight switch should have a breaker on the end which protects the headlights, parking, instrument and tail lights. It should be self resetting unless it has failed or someone has changed it to something else.

The turn signals have a separate inline fuse off the ign switch.

Here is a piece of photo I borrowed from one BDeB posted showing the headlight switch and breaker.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.63 KB)
209_5095c1e8018c5.jpg 439X622 px

Posted on: 2012/11/3 19:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved