Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

jguedel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: new guy questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Large hole is for the power door lock button and there would have been one on other side of dash as well. Being a 56 Patrician, am surprised your car doesn't have unless no electric windows either but was an option--usually power windows and locks were a set.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 8:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Lloyd -

I generally agree with your post on the Bendix TreadleVac except for a couple small points.

First, the BTV was not the villain in Nader's quest; actually, it was a power brake unit designed, built, and supplied by GM's Moraine Division.

Second, it was a Moraine engineering issue that caused failures on 1953 Buick models, where the fluid was completely sucked out of the system. While some people have applied that scenario equally to the Bendix unit (and some, perhaps, for their own personal financial gain), I've seen no irrefutable factual evidence that shows same ever happens in the BTV.

A potential failure of the compensator port spring/valve in the BTV unit, however, can cause a loss of hydraulic action - where fluid gets pushed back into the reservoir when the brake pedal is depressed, rather than out into the lines and wheel cylinders.

As such, you were wise to replace that spring. Properly maintained, the Bendix TreadleVac will give many miles of good service. As with any system with a single-chambered master cylinder, you just have to be more mindful of the condition of the brake plumbing, seals, fluid, etc. - beyond the master cylinder itself.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I will take a photo of the aftermarket, top-fill brake fluid reservoir on my car. It's nothing special. Came from NAPA, I think. There was one offered by Packard as an accessory. It had a galss jar and I've been on the lookout for one but haven't happened across any. Mine is plastic.

It may be a day or so before I get the photo up. Just now, am busy preparing for a tropical storm/hurricane. We do that a lot down here, lately, it seems.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 18:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Batten down the hatches Loyd, cover that Packard up, and keep you and your family safe!

Posted on: 2008/8/18 19:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
does the car have air conditioning and what makes u think it was a police car at one time????

Posted on: 2008/8/18 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
BH, can that compensator valve issue be occasional? i took her out for a ride today, and while the brakes stop excellently, sometimes the pedal goes a little further than others.

reverse, however is alitlle scary. the pedal goes extremely low, and needs a little help to stop.

all in all, everything works pretty well. the ultramatic shifts nice and all the lights work, though the t/l system does not.

what is the diference between H, D, and L on the gearshift? Even with the owners manual, i still dont get it.

I know its a lot of questions, but thanks for all the help!

Posted on: 2008/8/18 21:53
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The Twin Ultramatic has the capability of allowing the driver to DISable low range. Placing the lever in "H" will cause the car to take off in "converter mode". Essentialy it's HIGH gear. Then it will shift ONCE to "high range" which is actualy a locked up converter.

The torques converter has a clutch in it similar to a stick shift transmission. When the clutch engages that is usualy called high range.

If u select "D" at the shift lever then it starts out in LOW, shifts to "converter" and then to High range.

The terms "converter" and High range are often used when refering to the T'Ultra. But they are are misleading terms.

"L" = low as in any other trans.
"D" = Drive as in any other trans.
"H" is peculiar in that it DISables LOW.

Mechanically the T'Ultra is a 2wo speed transmission. HOWEVER, The torque converter is so sloppy that in "converter" mode it would get about 5 mpg. So there is a clutch inside the torque converter that kicks in at speed and this shift simulates or gives the effect of a 3hird gear.

So, if u select "D" u will feel 3hree shifts.
If u select "H" u will feel 2wo shifts only. (no low).

If you're still confused then Consider the T'Ultra as a 3hree speed automatic trans. WITH the peculiar option of "H" which disables low range.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for the brakes. I would strongly advise u too to pull the drums and inspect. Report back your findings.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The TL suspension is even more peculiar than the T'Ultra trans.

The front torsion bars are connected to the rear torsion bars, NOT to the frame. The rear torsion bars are connected to tie rods that connect to a "winch" under the the car just below the rear passengers feet.

If u jack up the LEFT side of the car and crawl under it u will see the "winch" and it has what looks like a starter motor. On the starter motor is 2wo, exactly 2wo and only 2wo electrical posts. One is UP. The other is DOWN.

U can jerk around with all of the solenoids and wires and limit switches and relays etc. etc. Or u can run a wire from each post of the TL motor to a switch on the dash and a hot wire to the switch with a fuse. I used a Packard antennas sw. for mine.
THe only downn side of this set up is that u have to be carefule not to run it too far one way or the other because the limit switches are disabled. The 2wo limit switches are in the "winch" near the bottom.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If by chance u are driving the car and all of a sudden it sounds like all 16 lifters are going to fly thru the hood DO NOT PANIC!!! Glance at the oil pressure gauge and if it is showing good oil pressure then the problem will leave in 4 or 5 miles as quickly as it came on.

Details of this MONUMENTAL controversy i will not cover at this time. If u do not have the lifter problem then it is not a problem. Just be aware of it.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved