Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I'm not sure if it's a new item. It surprised me as I was asking if their GM ones could be used. Oh we have one for Packards. I'm like well choke my chicken. They also have a front disc brake conversion I didn't know they had as well. I asked if they have a rear disc brake kit as they seem to have everything else.

Earl

Posted on: 2023/11/29 21:08
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I have another update from Abs Power Brakes. Below are some of the questions I asked.

Would that master cylinder handle disc/drum brakes?

Yes, it will handle disc/drum or disc/disc

I'm going to convert the front to disc. Does the master have a 10 psi residual valve for the rear drums?

No, no internal residual valves

What bore size is it?

1 1/8” bore size

What pedal ratio is that?

4:1

How much lower will the pedal pad be from the factory location?

Will be almost the same location as the factory one.

I assume the factory pedal pad fits on it?

We will send you a universal one we use. If you wish to use your stock one you will have to ship us the factory pedal

Is the master cylinder available in black?

Yes, we can have one powder coated for an extra $75.00

What would the added cost be to use my OE pedal so the OE pad fits? Would that affect the return policy? I do have a spare pedal.

No added cost to add the factory pedal and it wouldn’t affect warranty as long as you keep your receipt.

Do you offer a front disc brake conversion kit?

Yes we do for $850.00 plus tax and shipping

Kit includes

12" Regular Vented Rotors, Single Piston Calipers W/ Pads, Brackets, Brake Hoses & Hardware

I have a few more questions I'm waiting on. Their booster kit is pricey but would save me a lot of time. It also allows me to keep the crotch vent and not have to modify the firewall or any part of the car. The car can be returned to original condition. Also means not running around in a salvage yard all day looking at pedal assemblies. Ordering parts that may or may not work out. If I get the master in black and the booster is black, it would be less noticable to most. Especially in the original location. A simple email inquiry probably saved me months of screwing around. I'm pretty excited about a simple store bought remove and replace direct bolt in. Lol

Thanks
Earl

Posted on: 2023/11/29 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Very interesting. Sounds like it will not do drum/drum though, which is unfortunate. I would prefer to keep drums on front/rear. Is the booster vacuum operated? Would require more than the stock vacuum supplied on Packards?

Posted on: 2023/11/29 21:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Would be a simple change of master cylinder for drum/drum. Likely they probably have one. I specifically said I was converting to disc/drum.

Yes it's a vacuum booster, same as original. The engine should make plenty of vacuum for the original or modern booster. unless the engine is in bad condition or timing is way off. Or you have a performance cam. But you could probably buy their plate and pedal assembly and install a hydroboost on it. No worries of engine vacuum then. But the OE PS pump is half the flow and pressure needed. So you'd have to upgrade the pump or run a second pump. I would love to, but just too much change. But I do prefer hydroboost over vac.

Earl

Posted on: 2023/11/29 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Very interesting. Sounds like it will not do drum/drum though, which is unfortunate. I would prefer to keep drums on front/rear. Is the booster vacuum operated? Would require more than the stock vacuum supplied on Packards?

I think the floor plate and pedal is the key to this conversion. It looks to be a standard 4 stud and nut booster mounted to the floor plate and probably a standard front master to booster mount. Unless there is something really special in the shown configuration I would think a dual 7" booster and 1" dual master which has been well proven in earlier vent hole conversions or the 8" booster could be fitted with a standard 1" bore drum/drum master and be used with the floor plate and pedal for cars wishing to keep stock drums.

Key if Earl goes ahead with this conversion will be in photos to see exactly what it looks like and any clearance issues to the vent and below the unit that might be present. If it looks good on a 53, since V8 models have essentially the same firewall and column placement I might even take a chance on one for my factory AC car with a blower that uses the vent hole so has to stay where it is.

Even better for me would be if they sold the plate and pedal separately.

Posted on: 2023/11/29 22:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wonder how the master handles being set at an angle as it will be on a Packard. Any mention of that? The original was cast to set level but the new ones does not appear to do so.

Posted on: 12/1 17:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The master in the ABS Brake photo is a remote fill so as long as it is lower than the reservoir it can handle a fair amount of angle. Once the plate is mounted to the floor the master will also be at an angle about equal to the original but without the attached angled reservoir that was made to have the fluid stay level so it didn't spill.

Posted on: 12/1 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
For those wishing to keep their drum/drum brakes, they can include a 1" bore master. They said it wouldn't be touchy at that size?

Earl

Posted on: 12/6 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Found the Pontiac or Chevy power brake setup on the ABS site that you mentioned early on but wondering if you have a catalog number or any more info such as how much the booster is offset on the Packard version?

Did you check out the ABS offerings on disc brake conversion for Packards. There are several kits listed in their catalog. If you are on their homepage and select Other and then Oldsmobile, the Packard listings are on that page.

Posted on: 12/6 22:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The standard Henney-Packard master bore is 1-1/8” and would bolt right in to any 1951-1954 Packard. The Henney-Packard Treadlevac also apparently had a larger bore although I installed one from a Patrician.parts car into my 1952 that stopped it on a dime

Posted on: 12/6 23:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved