Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Packard engine #'s database
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do you have a persecution complex? I wasn't aware that I had a record of shooting down your ideas - quite to the contrary you have some good ones, and I didn't say making a table of casting numbers wasn't a valuable exercise, I think it is. Just that I'd rather use an engine# to ID an engine before I'd use a casting number when it was available. Gee - cool down! Have a cold beer or something.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Do you have a persecution complex?

Between you, Randy, and John in the past couple of weeks it sure seems so. 90% of the posts I make on here get shot down by either you or Randy, so I wonder where I get that idea from.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
so I wonder where I get that idea from.

Well, I don't know, but get the idea out of your head. Look, I spent a lot of years directing chemical research with a mix of chemists - take a lesson from that experience. Some of them were constantly pushing the envelope, others were more conservative in their ideas and visions. The envelope-pushers needed a different temperment because more often than not their ideas were not practical or technically impossible at the time, but when they did get a hit, it was often "a trophy-taker". So keep on sluggin'.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thanks Owen, "an ounce of praise makes up for a pound of criticism".

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

newbieJim
See User information
I have an engine here, without a car, but I thought I would give you the numbers anyway because more info is better than less. This V8 is dated 5-12-55, has block cast#440275-A, head cast#440689, ser#5532-7206 and Utica# C12005 (or is it C|2005?). No idea what car it is out of, but at least you can group the casting numbers with the date.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How about rechecking that 5532? Most probably is 5582, which would correspond to the "C" prefix to the Utica #. It's from a 1955 Senior Packard, a Patrician (4-dr sedan), 352 cubic inch.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 12:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

newbieJim
See User information
Yes, BigKev directed me back out for another look, and it is 5582. That '8' is very hard to read, while the rest of them stand out plainly. Thanks for the info. I will be listing it in the parts for sale area soon.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, after weeks of preparation (long story) I am about to clean the engine compartment on my 5542. I will get you numbers when I get things cleaned-up. I had forgotten about the engine number database. I can contribute numbers from the '37 and '47 too. Also, did I ever get you the TPN and VIN for the '55?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/3 19:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall. Send them all if it's not too much bother.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, after posting my message I went back and re-read the whole discussion thread. I had forgotten what a debate this subject had turned into. Are you collecting engine numbers and casting numbers along with vehicle numbers? I'll be glad to provide whatever you need.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/4 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved