Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 23 »

Re: 1940 Super 8 160 Model 1803 Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

Still thinking I need to make an insulating gasket between the fuel pump and engine block. Doe anyone know how thick it should be, and any suggestions for a good insulating material?

The original used on some models was a 1/16" thick fiber gasket.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would think that you wouldn't want too thick of a gasket since that will change the position of the arm on the camshaft. Which of course is not a good thing.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The NOS gasket out of gasket set 373678 for 356 engine is .084 or just slightly less than 3/32.

The composition is a very compressed material, fairly hard, and doesn't seem to bend like cardboard usually does. You can sort of see the layering. Don't know if this one has just gotten hard or if it is something special.

I would think if you found that approx thickness at the parts store, the composition the mfg of the gasket selected would be OK. Most all of the paper or composition material should resist heat a bit.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.25 KB)
209_4cacdeec1973e.jpg 592X640 px

jpg  (38.33 KB)
209_4cacdef4a1358.jpg 613X640 px

Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BDeB, Turbopackman, and HH56 --- Thanks for the input. Searching my memory it seems to recall that the gasket was not a paper type, but thicker and made of different material as described by BDeB and like the one HH56 is showing. Eric, taking your point about a gasket being too thick, a gasket thinner would mean changing the stroke of the fuel pump lever the other way. Your point is well taken. Thanks guys. Now, where to find one ...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/6 17:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric, taking your point about a gasket being too thick, a gasket thinner would mean changing the stroke of the fuel pump lever the other way. Your point is well taken.

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be a common sense conclusion, lol.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 18:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This was always exactly like the gasket on my '54 Fuel Pump. It's almost like a thin plywood. Similar to what you would find at most hobby stores.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Rat's... my rebuilt pump came with a thin gasket. I will have to search for a thicker gasket locally. Great discussion everyone.

John, I really enjoyed your article in the last PAC news Bulletin; great story.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

39super8 wrote:
Rat's... my rebuilt pump came with a thin gasket. I will have to search for a thicker gasket locally. Great discussion everyone.

John, I really enjoyed your article in the last PAC news Bulletin; great story.

39super8, in an earlier discussion about insulating gaskets, sleeves, and washers O_D commented about how critical the gasket thickness on the 3-piece straight-8s is. If I recall correctly, a gasket much thicker than is used on the mono block 8s is needed. I am sure someone here knows all about it and can advise you.

Thanks for the compliment on the article. It is a fun story to tell so I decided to write it and submit it for publication. I did this months ago and guess that Craig finally ran out of things to publish. It is nice to see it in print. Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/7 11:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

39super8, in an earlier discussion about insulating gaskets, sleeves, and washers O_D commented about how critical the gasket thickness on the 3-piece straight-8s is. If I recall correctly, a gasket much thicker than is used on the mono block 8s is needed...

John, yes that is correct. Both of my 3 piece engines have the thick phenolic fuel pump insulator blocks. The 356 seems to get a thinner gasket in comparison, but not paper thin as in the one HH56 posted and Kevin confirmed.

Been feeling under the weather, so not making as much progress as hoped for. Did manage to get the oil cap primed and sanded now prepped for paint. Was there a reason to get this picky with an oil fill cap, no not really. Just something I could do in spare time. Working on coming up with a thicker fuel pump gasket. Should have something in hand tomorrow with any luck.

Hoping to take out for a drive this weekend if all progresses as planned.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.59 KB)
169_4caeabfa85fd6.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2010/10/8 0:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Finished up some odds and ends on the car today. The finally was a nice long ride. The car performed very well. If the lifter pumps up I will have exhaust and intake manifold gaskets and if the lifter doesn't, I will have a head gasket to do also. Need to go out at night and aim the headlights. Other than that, it's off to the cruise in Friday and Saturday night. Next Sunday is our annual orphan car, car show. Hope to make it.

I also discovered while setting the timing the vacuum advance is inop.

P.S. funny thing, I just had the nagging feeling the horns needed to be installed and operable. What do you know, on the first trip out, some dunce pulls out in front of me. Horns work! LOL

Attach file:

jpg  (43.61 KB)
169_4cb27693093c6.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2010/10/10 21:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 23 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved