Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 222

53pc, Plugs1, Don B, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi eric

Thanks for the photo. I do not have a place lower on my block to fit that 'outlet' like yours. Mine is a 288 without hydraulic lifters.

I use the 2 holes in the block that yours have the inlet connected to.

Is the 288 a 5 main engine? Would that be a difference?

Posted on: 2008/8/13 2:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't know, but I have a 1948 288 5 main engine I can take a look at sometime to see if it has the drain hole in the block. It's a 120 miles away from me at my mother's place, so it might be a while before I get up there to check.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 2:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is how my lines are now ran. This matches what Eric has on his picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.80 KB)
1_48a298faf2d9f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 3:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's not my picture, I just re-posted Glynn's pic. AFAIK, this is the way to run the lines. I don't ever recall seeing them any other way on a Packard straight eight. And I've seen a LOT of postwar straight eight Packards!

Posted on: 2008/8/13 4:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Why would my engine not have this drain hole in the block at the outlet side? Maybe it did not use to have a filter setup seeing as it is a standard 8 sedan?

My engine number is H284109

Would I hurt anything by using the setup I have at the moment?

Posted on: 2008/8/13 4:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think JD my have had the answer--at least sounds logical.

The earlier engines had mechanical lifters & no extra oil return hole so not too many options other than full flow. The 356 with hydraulics was a different casting-different setup.

In 51 on they made the changes to use essentially the same block for all engines & lifters--so added the extra hole to make them all partial flow. Maybe some of old kits still around with old instructions, or more likely, old time mechanics still did way they always had without reading instructions.

Still don't understand Big Kevs original filter with the reversed stamping on ports.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Beginning in 1938 the small 8 (282) and all those that followed (288, 327, 356, 359) had the improvement of pressure lubrication to the lifters whether mechanical or hydraulic, replacing the prior mist/dribble method. See section 111 of the 37/38 shop manual. Even on later models when the filter was optional (non hydraulic lifter engines primarily) the pressure oiling of the lifters remained in place.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.25 KB)
177_48a2f43794676.jpg 763X630 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree O-D, but for some reason they didn't put the extra oil return hole in at the same time so the filters had no choice but to be plumbed full flo the way they were. The pressure lube was a good thing but maybe they didn't think it through or didn't think filters were much of necessity then for those (or any) engines and wouldn't be used.

Possibly they realized they needed a different arrangement early on but they went on cycles with major core casting changes, so new line in 51 was the time engine blocks were completely redone--who knows.

Any idea when filters actually became the standard-not the option-and not only for Packard.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Please tell me what return hole you're referring to. I have seen a few early Packard 120-type engines where the oil filter was added (not factory) and the filter return was just dropped into a small hole drilled in the oil filler tube which looks ugly but works.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This seems to be the area of controversy of full vs partial-no return hole around the filler tube.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.15 KB)
209_48a300a459d63.jpg 303X255 px

jpg  (6.60 KB)
209_48a300b11cef7.jpg 185X196 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 10:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved