Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: New available motor oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Napa carries several brands of straight 30wt regular oil -- at least they do locally and probably thruout Calif.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 18:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Autozone has the 30 wt st non detergent and detergent. Think I posted a pic already. Maybe on another thread. The clipper ran perfectly on it again today, I think the zdp add is needed for break in on new rebuild. Are you driving a recommissioned older engine or fresh? The lead sub and MMO is needed in the fuel tank if heads are orig. Think there is some confusion on the subject.

All engines prior to 1973 had non hardened exh valve seats. The lead in the fuel kept the valve seats cooler and lubed and help seal the exh valves. from 1974 on all heads were manufactured with hardened seats to run on no lead without burning valves. As part or reman -heads will be retrofit with hardened seats so no lead is required. the oils and fuel additives are for those running original engines

Posted on: 2014/8/24 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All engines prior to 1973 had non hardened exh valve seats

Just a tidbit of trivia for you; the Chrysler (and perhaps Desoto) 251 cubic inch flathead six had hardened exhaust valve seats as factory equipment for years, perhaps even extending back to prewar.

And unless you really flog an engine regularly, the general consensus in the hobby is that no lead additive or other snake juice is really needed in the gasoline though if I were rebuilding I'd put in hardened seats. No doubt you've seen this chart before, I've posted it several times.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.33 KB)
177_53fa792b0ad8f.jpg 701X435 px

Posted on: 2014/8/24 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Hi Owen. thanks for the info. Stepped out for a minute. just adding- I know of people who have recommissioned older engines after long hibernations and though running well for a while after full fuel system flush and tank seal etc etc they did develop misfires and and low comp traced to exhaust valve seats. They were not running a lead add or substitute. I understand your info but there are many factors which can accelerate problems such as slightly lean air fuel mixture, coolant system efficiency timing and others and an added protection when all these other factors have not or cannot be made perfect is a no brainer in my opinion.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I have never been one for "snake oils" and liquid fixes but in the vehicles I have run with pre 1970 engines I have not as yet developed an issue on these non rebuilt motors while running the lead substitute and a splash of MMO in the fuel and I have friends with similar experiences. I have no stock interest in these products or get any kick backs. Just passing on my experiences.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Here in Vegas went to Auto Zone, O'Reillys, and Car Quest, no straight 30wt., anymore. Did not get to Napa. Not even 15-40, only 15-30 too thin? Ok to add ZDDP to synthetic oils? I can save the MMO for the gasoline. The engine was rebuilt about twenty years ago by me. At that time put in hardened valve seats, etc. Has 13,000 miles on it since then.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I usually get my motor oils at NAPA. What they don't have in stock they will order and usually have in a day. For the 34 with roller cam I used straight SAE30 Detergent, brand is "Forumla Shell", and for the V8 I use Shell Rotell T SAE15-40, both have ZDDP in them. I also occasionally need non-detergent SAE50 for the oil bath air filters and the Bijur oiler on the 34 and they usually have that in stock as well and if not, order it for me. If you local autoparts isn't willing to order the oil you want, I find another store.

Never used a synethetic; with changes annually regardless of mileage I just don't see any benefit.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
If the hardened seats were installed there is no need for fuel additives. As said before, on a clean (boiled) block after rebuild with olds pump the multigrade detergent oils seem fine and will minimize sludge. The above recc are for ORIGINAL recommissioned engines.

There is a pic earlier in this thread of the A.Z. oil. They have a website for online ordering or the counterperson should be able to get in any store in the country

Posted on: 2014/8/25 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I have been told without ZDDP, and not right oil, the camshaft can get damaged. Will try to get by a NAPA in the next few days.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any quality SE, SJ, SL and SM or C-rated detergent motor oil of today has ZDDP (zincdiallyldithiophosphate) or it's equivalent.

Camshafts in Packards weren't damaged by even the primitive motor oils long before ZDDP even came into being (it's essentially a product that evolved during WW II). The concern is with engines with high cam loadings and that pretty much excludes all Packard engines though having an oil with ZDDP is especially a good idea for a fresh rebuild. I wouldn't use an oil without it, but I sure wouldn't be adding extra to such an oil, in excess it can upset the balance of the other oil additives - a modest number of published articles about this including some disaster stories. Oil additive blending is a science and best not to mess with it, IMO.

The attached chart from Castrol via Skinned Knuckles in 2009.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.98 KB)
177_53fb4756afddf.jpg 763X585 px

Posted on: 2014/8/25 9:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved