Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Hood Ornaments in '55 & '56
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Build slip postwar is most often glued to the top of the glove box. And I believe the Packard brothers were long gone from the scene by the time the "bird" came into being.

This debate over Pelican or Cormorant has gone on for more 80+ years, no reason why it should subside now even though no information has come forward in decades. But you must admit that anatomicaly it's not an accurate likeness of a pelican. Cormorants were (are?) indigenous to the West Coast, look much more like the Packard "bird", and I like the story (apocryphal or not) that Earle Anthony, whose sway with the company was probably second-most only to the President, was a proponent of upgrading the lowly pelican which his Hollywood set found find a bit too down-scale for their haughty tastes.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

This debate over Pelican or Cormorant has gone on for more 80+ years, no reason why it should subside now even though no information has come forward in decades. But you must admit that anatomicaly it's not an accurate likeness of a pelican. Cormorants were (are?) indigenous to the West Coast, look much more like the Packard "bird", and I like the story (apocryphal or not) that Earle Anthony, whose sway with the company was probably second-most only to the President, was a proponent of upgrading the lowly pelican which his Hollywood set found find a bit too down-scale for their haughty tastes.

Here on the Great lakes the cormorant is only a recent arrival. I recall first seeing the birds in the early 1970's when I worked on Lake Erie. It is commonly held by anglers (but as yet unproven)that they are responsible for depleting sportfish stocks so they are not a popular species and not likely one that Packard would claim to use as a model for a hood ornament in these times.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 16:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll swap you some geese for your cormorants. The geese have overrun every place with grass and water, golf courses, small town parks, ball fields, etc. We are UP TO OUR ASSES in geese!!! And of course we're not allowed to hunt anymore so the population just keeps swelling. Curses!

Posted on: 2009/2/16 17:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
And geese are a great danger to aircraft as well as fouling the water and land.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
When I was a lad I thought the Packard mascot was a swan. It looked so graceful with that curved neck and I could see swans at Kennywood park so I knew what a real one looked like. They didn't have any cormorants or pelicans. I thought of a pelican as a rather ungainly bird and what I read concerning cormorants about 20 years ago put me off those birds.
I still like the swans.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So Randy, do I take it that you think this thread needs a swan song?

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'll swap you some geese for your cormorants.

Not sure what's worse-geese or crows. Don't have a goose problem but the blasted crows here travel by the hundreds, find a tree they all like, land and then sound off for hours. No predators either it appears, a big noise makes them all fly to the next tree and get louder and any bait that gets (illegally) put out, just makes them fatter..Maybe if Packard had chosen a crow for the ornament, they'd still be around because nothing slows them down.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't mean to crow about it, but when I was a very small child and this town I live in was wide open and as rural as could be, my father taught me to shoot the crows out of the trees with a 22. Now with old eyesight, a good dose of #9 shot seems more appropriate but alas, I'd be in jail in minutes if I tried.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

by Owen_Dyneto

So Randy, do I take it that you think this thread needs a swan song?

Does that mean the buzzards are circling? Gee, I hope not. This is just getting interesting. THANKS Owen, for including that bit of info on the build sheet on top of the glove box! I remembered reading it was somewhere in that area, and I can't wait to hear what AL finds out about his "hotrod." Somebody who worked at Packard may have been able to order all kinds of stuff... or he took it home piece by piece in his lunchbox like Johnny Cash.

Back on topic:

Quote:
by AL ...the crest has the inscription underneath stating "A PELICAN IN HER PIETY"

Now, to me, that kind of settles the argument. I always wondered what inscription that coat of arms would have had, were it not taken off of all depictions I have ever seen. See below.

Here's what Kimes has to say:

1928: Packard family crest was adopted as the company's emblem, a pelican being the central figure in that crest.
1932: Packard introduced its new pelican hood ornament which was the result of the design department's efforts to symbolize and stylize the bird, which appeared in the crest.
Late 1930's: Advertising first referred to it as a cormorant.
1949: Hugh Ferry sent interoffice memo dated November 17, 1949, "I have always been under the impression that our ornament was intended to carry on the tradition of the Packard family whose escutcheon carries the pious pelican."

Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company, 1978, Automobile Quarterly, Beverley Rae Kimes, Ed. pp 764-765. [paraphrased to follow dates]

So, blame the advertising department for shying away from waxing eloquent about a pelican. They probably feared the competition would seize upon it to ridicule them with "Pity the poor pelican, its beak... etc. etc.

So were any of the Packard family alive in 1928? I'm too tired to look it up.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 0:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
I'd like to contribute with a stork...

...wish it was mine, although it is neither Packard nor 55/56. And it even wouldn't be street legal in my home country

Attach file:

jpg  (33.30 KB)
80_499aaa34ec418.jpg 662X450 px

Posted on: 2009/2/17 7:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved