Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Update,
Just ordered the ABS Power Brake conversion kit. Will take a week or so to build and then it will ship out. Went with the optional black master cylinder. I will post pictures and my thoughts of it when I receive it. Then again after I install it. Won't till spring when I install it. I need to also order the front disc brake kit. I decided to go with the Wilwood disc kit.

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 1/8 19:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Patrician: has anyone updated from Treadlevac to modern 2-chamber mstr cyl?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know it is early but when you start the conversion, before taking your car apart would you measure from the flat floor up to the bottom of the original pedal and maybe take before and after photos just for a way to compare how the new but shorter suspended pedal is located in position to the original. The pedal pad position was one of the items Packard stressed in their ease of operation ads and it would be nice if the positions are reasonably close to the same. When Craig did the first conversion to a modern booster the way he modified his pedal (which in the final version looked a bit like the ABS pedal) moved the foot pad quite a distance downward. Others who followed his mod said the new location works but takes getting used to. The stock location has the pad just slightly lower than the hole in the floor plate but the ABS location looks much lower.

Am also curious about the actual diameter of the new booster and length of the overall assy as to how it compares with the Treadlevac. Space between the firewall and floorplate to steering box is very limited. Unless the photos are deceiving, the black booster ABS shows on their unit looks like a different brand and smaller in diameter but longer in length than the 7" single or dual universal boosters Craig and most of the vent conversions used. It would be nice to know what ABS came up with and if they moved everything up a bit or how they positioned things to get clearance to the steering box. From what I can see the hole in the ABS plate looks roughly to be in about the same place as the stock plate. Am wondering if remaking and relocating the pedal and maybe not tilting the booster downward as much is the difference allowing their modern booster setup to work in the original space.

Attach file:

jpg  plates.jpg (236.72 KB)
209_65a4378b09b26.jpg 1600X612 px

Posted on: 1/14 14:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I do plan to take measurements of the original pedal from different locations. I plan to take the ABS plate and put it over the floor to see where their pedal location is and in relation to the OE pedal. That's my only concern, where the ABS pedal location will be. If I don't like the pedal location, I will send it back. If the location is doable, then I will proceed.

The picture definitely shows a dual booster. They are advertising it as 8" dual. I will measure when I get it. I will also measure the overall length. I plan to take pics of the two side by side and installed.

I plan to share all with the group. This could be an excellent item for the odd ball Packard setup. Also it is a direct bolt in vs installing a hanging pedal and not giving up your crotch vent. The car could easily be returned to stock.

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 1/19 21:29
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I started my own thread on this conversion. I received the kit.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27861&post_id=267281#forumpost267281

Thanks,
Earl

Posted on: 1/26 21:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved