Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 198

humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, Bingo, Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you have a universal motor you are not going to be able to regulate the speed of a standard 2 wire AC synchronous motor without some kind of inverter to modulate pulse width and frequency. Even then it may be difficult because most inverters work usually with 3 phase motors. Your best bet would be to find a different motor.

Synchronous AC motors are designed around 50/60hz for their speed (usually 1725 or 3600 in US). Those that vary speed like 2 or 3 speed air conditioner have selectable or multiple windings which vary the number of stator poles. While lowering the voltage may reduce speed on the type you have, it does this by reducing power and efficiency and increasing heat to the point motor may give up. There are small inverters available but usually not that cheaply and usually limited to not much more than a ceiling fan type motor.

Universal motors have brushes and can vary speed by varying voltage. Drills, vacuum cleaners, sewing machine or DC motors are usually universal.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 13:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some of us have made a shaft from an old discarded distributor and use a variable-speed electric hand drill.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
drive the distributo for oil pump testing.

Very interesting. Care to share your thesis statement?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack - I don't know whose comment you wanted elaboration on. I don't see the process as a test of an oil pump at all but simply as a way to prime or "wet" a fresh engine with oil after assembly. The only "test" it is of an oil pump is if it can move some oil, but no more, at least in my view.

PS - and obviously you have to grind or turn the gear from the distributor shaft.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I thot of using a drill motor but i need at least 1700 rpm to simulate at least 3400 rpm engine speed and most drill motors i've seen do not turn that fast. Not sure what i need to do.

Owen, give the picture in my above post time to load. Take a close look at it. It's not an engine at all, not even a complete block. It's just block that has been cut across the center of the rear cylinders. So it is a test bed, not a priming exercise.

Jack, the set up is strictly for testing oil pumps, transmission mock up, or any other modeling purposes. Lot easier to carry the rear 1/4 of the block around with me than an entire block.

I'll just go ahead and mount the 1725 rpm motor to it and test at that rpm speed with a dual pulley i have for the electric drive motor until i can come up with something else. I'll try to dig up a universal motor as per HH56's recommendation.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 19:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Jack, the set up is strictly for testing oil pumps
That was my question. What are you testing and what is the methodology? How does it replicate a running engine at operating temperature?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/17 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not sure i can claim it to be a truely scientific test buck. The idea is to be able to watch the oil pump in operation. To observe any oil that may exude from the pump at any unexpected places, intermediate shaft or imput shaft wobble or ocsilations. ANYTHING that mite appear abnormal to determine the cause of premature wear or any other problems. THot of placing a hot plate under the oil pan with a temp gauGe in the oil to heat the oil. Distributor to pump alignment check. I need somekind of way to catch the oil and measure any air in the oil.

It helped a few years ago during initial mock-up of the Olds conversion to determine pan clearence. Things like that.

ANY number of possibilities. What would YOU like to test with it???? Or perhaps the set up has no significance??

Posted on: 2009/3/17 20:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Any new knowledge is better than none. A pressure gauge and a needle valve to be able to bleed off pressure to simulate all the clearances in a running engine.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/17 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The gauge is at the end of the long tube sticking up at the 10:00 o'clock posistion in the pic. A valve in the oil pressure sending unit hole next to distributor and a hose is attached to the valve and dumps the oil back into the pan. The hose is the black tube kind of looping around the block in the pic.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Useing it allowed me to discover dip stick/ float interference.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 21:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved