Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for the input, sounds like it is vapor lock for sure. good thing I got the electric pump on there and they carry them at every autozone if it ever goes out.

I got all of the rear window mouldings wrapped up. I think they turned out pretty good.

started the car this evening and noticed when I revved the motor that the water pump pulley would move in and out about 1/4". I had never noticed that before. should I be concerned about that and give Feltz a call? it doesn't seem to be leaking, but I'm a bit afraid of the pulley flying off and damaging that crazy radiator I just got.

thoughts?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IgVZLxSKhC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpW87vqYggc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (20.71 KB)
491_58d48ec80974b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.94 KB)
491_58d48ecb56e6f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.85 KB)
491_58d48ece7e310.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/3/23 22:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I won't pretend to know much about 37s but that does seem to be an excessive amount of end play. Am assuming the impeller and hub are both press fits. If so, I would get in touch with the rebuilder and inquire if they used a different impeller that does not fit the cavity according to the 37 spec. I don't see how there could be that much end play if the impeller has the clearance in the cavity as is called for in the service manual. With that much play and if it is due to a smaller impeller that would also cut down on pump capacity and could be why temp seems to be a bit hot.

Attach file:

jpg  (156.21 KB)
209_58d4a29948d62.jpg 1800X642 px

Posted on: 2017/3/23 23:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I have a feeling that this pump is getting sent back to Terrill machine.....sigh. So not looking forward to draining this expensive ass fluid out and trying to save as much of it as I can. And with the Concours coming at the end of April... man these thing sure know how to pop up at the wrong time!

The shaft is what moves. When you watch the hub, it moves in and out about 1/8". Way too much movement. It almost seems like the impeller has come off some, but with this much play I would think the seal would not be working anymore and it would be leaking. But maybe the bearing is holding back the fluid for now.

Remember this is not a packing style pump, nor a Packard pump. It's an aftermarket solid bearing style pump. So yes I think the bearing is pressed on with the shaft and hub and the impeller is pressed on the other side. When I got it back in the mail it all looked perfect and I don't remember any of that movement being there, so something had to have come loose in the last 58 miles. That's how many miles I've racked up so far. Plus the idling.

I will call Feltz tomorrow for advise.

Also condolences to Feltz for the loss of his Dad recently.

Posted on: 2017/3/23 23:44
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Just want you guys to know that by posting this link, I am in no way begging or looking for a hand out. what i'm about to post is very honest and 100% the truth. I have already spoken with BigKev about posting this as well. While he was okay with it with stipulations, it has taken a few days of thinking hard about even mentioning it on the forum. and it still could prove to be a mistake. I really dont want to upset anyone. I thought maybe I would just include it in my blog.

I dont have facebook or any other social media outlets, all I have is this website and you guys.

All of the work i have been doing on the 37 to this date has either been by the grace and kindness of David Flack or my credit card. I also recently recieved some window cranks from Don and he is helping me work on making a new divider window moulding based on a copy of the one he has. Not to mention the invaluable minds on this forum that have given input and guided me.

The credit card is not the smartest thing to use, but that is my fault and the goal was to get this car in decent enough shape i could make the money back to pay the credit card off by using it for weddings or photos, etc.

If anyone is wondering how i purchased the 37, well i financed it. yup....i didn't pay cash and its amazing what sentimental things will make you do. i have a payment on it.

I try to either give to the website with the projects I do or with donations, which i can tell you are not as much as i'd like them to be. Sorry Kev. I'll get to naming more of the adverts as they come in, Mal will just have to hold back LOL!

anyways. Here is my gofundme page and i will be honest, it is hard for me to post this. I tend to be the responsible one in the family when it pertains to finances and i'm usually bailing someone in the family out of their woes. This time it hit a bit harder because my wife is not working due to a car accident. you can read the story on the link.

If this upsets anyone or alienates me, i would rather perserve my friendships on the forum and will gladly delete this post.

any donations above what i am asking for will go to this website and i will make a donation of 100 bucks for every 1000 of the goal that is met.

this is in no way affilliated with this website or BigKev. this is of my own doing. any and all money to be given to this website will be treated as donations as normal.

again, please know this was VERY hard for me to post.

https://www.gofundme.com/good-deed-recovery-fund

Posted on: 2017/3/24 9:46
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Hank, as a very involved member that you have been over the years I don't have a problem with it. You and I are some of the youngest members here and finances get in our way sometimes. If you joined PI last month and did this is would of looked at it different, but with your level of commitment, dedication and involvement in here I don't see a problem and I think I speak for many others here!

Posted on: 2017/3/24 12:33
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks man, that means a lot. I hope everyone is as understanding as you are.

Even if nobody gives any, I'm okay with that. I still am happy I was able to help a family member even if they may never pay me back. odds are, if they do pay me back, it will be many years from now.

About 1 year ago I helped her as well. I gave her 500 as a gift to get her phone turned back on and to pay the back rent on the house, and another 500 to pay off the title loan on her car at the time, which was to be paid back. so far I've seen 100 bucks of that 500 over the last 1 year. So, no I'm not expecting to be paid back soon or for anyone to give.

I know the saying is when you give money just assume you will never see it again. I was fine with never really seeing that 500 from a year ago, but with Sheena being out of work since August, well that 3k for that new car was a bit of a hit this time. This family member really does try hard. She doesn't do drugs, smoke, drink, or party. she literally works and sits at home.

this is part of the reason I'm not going to be attending the Texas Packard meet this year. That had already been nixed when I found out my dog had cancer and I had to pay for surgery. (I really love this dog, she watches baseball with me) well this car buying really nixed it!

anyways...enough of that. sorry to anyone that this has bothered and you are just keeping silent about it. I really am sorry.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 17:37
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Hank - sorry to hear things are tough for you, and I've got no issues with your post. Clearly it's not something you did lightly!

Posted on: 2017/3/24 21:15
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, I agree and would like to add, you are to be admired for seeking help. Help is on its way.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/3/25 10:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Henry...You are fine in my opinion. Those who can and wish to will help you and no one else should feel any stress. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/25 16:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks everyone for the kind words. and still I'm sorry if this didn't go over well with some of the members here.

Thanks to Wesley Boyer for the donation. Whatever gets donated, I'm going to make sure I voluntarily donate some back to this website! The debt will be deducted at 100% for my cousin-in-law though. I just want to do the right thing.

anyways. Lets get back to the project blog.

This weekend consisted of a lot of yard work, but on Friday evening i talked to Feltz Terrill on the phone for about 30 min about the water pump. It was deteremined that all was well and he rebuilt perfectly fine. the movement was there after he rebuilt it. he did not want to press the impellar on so much that it compressed the spring on the seal too far. i understood this. I was going to measure the movement and make sure it did not get worse, but i have OCD and nothing better to do on a friday evening. I also got tired of the damn freeze plugs leaking. Also want everyone to know that i think Feltz is a great guy and i have nothing against the work that he did on the pump.

So, i drained the fluid out slowly into a couple of clean empty jugs i had laying around. i recovered pretty much ever drop of that coolant. i took the water pump off and popped out the leaking freeze plugs. simple to pop them out. air chisel with a pointed tip. hammer hole in the middle and then pop them off. The water pump looked fine as i expected it would, but i pressed the impeller down a bit more and made sure to keep it within spec. technically it was not withing spec, although it was working. i went to .22 on the feeler gauge. there is still movement so the spring on the seal is still not bottomed out and the pulley is not moving around as much now. actually when the car is running, i cant see any movement now. i feel better about it.

I put the spare freeze plugs I had from the rebuild kit in the block. i used locktite 518 flange sealer. i repainted as well. water pump back on and allowed to set up a bit.

coolant back in. started car...not leaks. next day...no leaks. freeze plugs perfect now.

that was the extent of the work on the packard this weekend.

Posted on: 2017/3/27 9:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved