Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 28 »

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know how well it would hold up in that location but in protected areas I wirebrush and then coat the screws with clear matte finish acrylic spray. That has somewhat of a sheen but not terrible and doesn't stand out like ordinary paint would. Maybe some of the spray on zinc phosphate coatings would work in exposed areas.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JW, thanks for getting all the photos and information.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
But from the factory, they must have been plated- zinc perhaps? Any clear coating would be compromised by the contact with the wrench or socket used to tighten.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:53
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They were originally plated with something but not sure what. Maybe a duller galvanizing than is typically seen with screws today or maybe even some kind of oxide like todays black oxide screws you can buy. The few photos you can see in some of the training manuals don't appear to have a lot of shine on the screws.

There used to be a place here that would do screws and small pieces by the bucket -- IIRC, it was cad plating. I gathered all I had laying around and had a bunch done. While they turned out well plated and I have some left and unused but still in good condition today, they came back too bright and silvery for my thinking. That is why I started using the acrylic for the duller wirebrush look. If the clear will hold up you could always mask a little and respray the bolt heads after they are on and tightened.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
How about studs and nuts used in electrical connections? I cleaned up and painted my generator, but now the studs and nuts for the wire connections are rusting. Would you just connect the wire and then clear over it?

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:38
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
How about studs and nuts used in electrical connections? I cleaned up and painted my generator, but now the studs and nuts for the wire connections are rusting. Would you just connect the wire and then clear over it?

You could do the clear or get some dielectric or silicone grease and use a rag to apply a very light coat on the threads and nut after the wire is connected. That way if you have to remove things there would be no buildup of paint material that might cause problems later. Downside to the grease is it might attract dirt but shouldn't be too much of a problem if the application is light.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, you are welcome. Sorry that I forgot about the cowl vent mechanism.

Stainless steel works well for most applications. Brighter than what originally was fitted, but less than chrome plated. These SS fasteners dress up an engine and compartment without being too flashy.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/8 10:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I used Eastwood's Cadium paint to respray all the fasteners that I reused. Here is picture showing what they look like afterward.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.73 KB)
1_518a6e978ed71.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/8 10:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Kev, that looks great. Eastwood it is!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 10:35
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
This is all good information.

I have a question about bolts. What kind of finish was applied at the factory to prevent rusting? When I repainted my shroud in front of the radiator, I carefully wire brushed the bolts. Now they are rusting, as I must have removed the protective coating. Do they need to be re-plated?

It takes a bit of digging,but the answer can be found in the parts book.

Packard calls the shroud a splasher and it is listed under Group 30.87498 in the 1948-54 parts list. The fasteners are also listed in this parts group, in this case the screws for all 22nd & 23rd Series are part # 394575.

The index at the back of the parts book for # 394575 shows other parts groups where this screw is used and also a Utility Parts Group number 50.003

The Utility section of the parts list is now available on this site and by looking through Group 50.003 for hex head machine screws the description for # 394575 is found as 1/4-20 x 1/2 w/washer, cad

The description translates as a hex head machine screw, size 1/4" with 20 threads per inch, length 1/2" with an integral washer and cadmium plated.

So cadmium plating or a finish such as the Eastwood cadmium paint would be appropriate for these fasteners.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 13:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved