Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 189

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I can’t speak for Clipper but 1941 still had the dash push button for the starter so the carburetor you have is for a later model and may not be calibrated properly for your engine. Needles and jet sizes varied from year to year and model to model..

41 Clippers did have the accelerator start but the conventional bodies waited until 42.

In addition to possible carb jet size differences am also wondering if modern gas volatility could be the issue. Could be it is expanding or "boiling" when engine is hot and being expelled down the carb throat to flood the engine. In addition to needing cranking time to clear the flood, depending on whether the carb emptied completely it could also need time to refill the bowl.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 12:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok I think the carb is from a 1942…so that makes sense…it runs and idles nice… I’ll check settings again tks

Posted on: 2023/7/5 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I believe that modern gasoline blends do contribute to warm weather flooding and vapor lock issues with older vehicles.

I avoid short term hot shut downs when practical.

Park into the wind if you can.

Make sure the cooling systen, auto choke, manifold heat valve, engine fan, etc. are all working as they should and that all heat shields, insulating gaskets, bushings, etc, are in place.

Anything that restricts the fuel line or filter or causes needless exposure of the fuel line, pump, and carburetor to heat will aggravate flooding and vapor lock conditions.

A hot shut down followed by percolation and flooding, as mentioned above, can leave you with a dry carburetor bowl after the car has sat for hours or overnight. You go from too much fuel to not enough.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok thanks for your help.. everything is ad should the only thing I’m not aware of are any heat shields and where they should be if any

Posted on: 2023/7/5 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely a shield between the fuel pump and manifold. If yours is missing, repros are available.

In addition to the thick fiber insulating block under the carb base, a small shield might be between the carb and manifold but it depends on model and engine. Some have decided to fabricate and place something there anyway even if Packard did not think a shield was necessary.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 16:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
My fuel pump is mounted at gas tank which runs to pressure regulator before entering carb… unless I’m missing something

Posted on: 2023/7/5 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You must have an electric pump installed and if it is that far away from heat, no shield would be needed. Stock mechanical pumps at the engine front right side had a metal shield to protect it and a portion of the fuel line from manifold heat. If that pump is still present and the electric is pushing fuel thru it then the shield would still help.

There are different shaped shields for the various models. Here is John Ulrich's reproductions.

Attach file:

jpg  shield.jpg (119.34 KB)
209_64a5fc580731f.jpg 1790X1382 px

Posted on: 2023/7/5 18:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok thanks I will double check… also I just did compression test on all six cylinders and they all read 90 psi… wondering if that’s acceptable? Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2023/7/5 20:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Correction cylinder 4 is around 70 psi all others at 90…. Tested with all plugs out and then in same results

Posted on: 2023/7/5 20:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
And at 115 psi with choke open

Posted on: 2023/7/5 20:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved