Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The metallurgy may be questionable in some cases, but in 90% of the Asian parts I've come across that were castings showed some rather poor machining methods, some almost like someone used a hand grinder to finish the surfaces.

I think the point that most people are getting to here is that we'd rather buy American made parts from American owned factories employing American workers and pay extra than to buy something from a country that doesn't benefit the American people at all. I know I would.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My experience with auto parts has been buy that if you buy Made in USA or Canada from reputable brand companies like Moog or Raybestos etc.you get quality. I have had bad experiences trying to save a few bucks by buying off brand parts made in Asia. You do pay substantially more for Made in USA but you get what you pay for and union workers keep their jobs and their homes. If Moog is having ball joints made in China I would almost be certain they would be of high quality so as not to tarnish their reputation but it is a tragedy that a plant closed and American workers lost their jobs because Moog wants a bigger profit margin. The Walmart business model (have it made cheap offshore and peddle the junk in big box stores) has not been good for the USA or Canada. Factories close, good jobs are lost, formerly thriving downtowns become derelict. It is really sad. Sorry for off topic rant.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The problem with nearly all of everyday purchases is that there no longer seeems to be any mid priced / mid quality level merchandise. It's either poor quality junk (regardless of where it's made) or it's hi dollar primo-grade merchandise and not always so primo at that.

Clipper47 gave an excellent example with the Craftsmen power tools. At one time they were good mid- priced equipment.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Anm offer to Eric Boyle:

Eric, you say that 90% of the machined Asian cast auto parts you have come across have been poorly machined. I would like to know what parts thye are and the sources.

I will send for your inspection 10 different cast and machined Asian parts, many for Packard. I ask that you inspect them and report in this forum what you find. Please include your engineering criteria.

When completed, we will pay return shipping. Advise your address please, thanks.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No need to do that, just go into any AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, or similar chain and look at the parts. Easy enough for anyone to do. Look at the boxes, notice "Made in China" on the box, and look at the part. Unfinished castings, poorly soldered wires, etc.

I never said all Asian parts, just about 90% of them. The water pump I bought from you was surprisingly well made. I'm not dissing you, your parts, or your business ethics, just some of the things I've noticed in the auto business in general. I used to work in automotive parts, I have a pretty damn good idea on what is quality and what isn't.

But if your offer still stands, I'm game. I can do a visual inspection as well as a Rockwell hardness analysis on them, and compare to vintage castings of the same design. This will of course involve a complete disassembly and inspection, and I can in no way guarantee that things will be put back exactly the same.

Eric Boyle,
736 W. 30th St. South,
Wichita, Ks, 67217
316-239-8254

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I doubled check my 1956 ORIGIANL (not reprint) Motors Manual. It shows actual pics as well as some diagrams.

Ford, Chevy, Studebaker, Dodge, Hudson all show the "O" mark out near the tooth on the crank gear. Unfortunately, the Packard section of the manual, the picture, is the only picture that is not clear.

So i'll accept that the Pacard streight 8 "o" mark is on the shoulder and not the tooth. But that only makes it a PACKARD standard NOT an "industry standard". Unless Chevy, ford, studebaker, dodge and Hudson are not considered part of any industry.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Everything comes down to demand. If we didn't demand the lowest cost parts, then we would be getting the cheapest made parts.

You can't always stereotype every part or item made based on it's country of origin. China and Japan has some of the most advanced high tech manufacturing plants in the world. For example almost every Apple product (known for there quality) is made in China. It all comes down to the company that is contracting the work, and the specifications and inspections that happen along the process.

If you don't want a crap part, then don't buy the cheapest part. It really just comes down to that regardless of country of origin.

Made in USA is not always a mark of superior quality.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's more involved than price vs quality vs country of origin. In many cases it's a judgment call based on personal situation.

e.g.: I can buy the $20 e-control ignition module and it will last 5 years. OR i can buy the $100 dealer module and it will last 10 years. So $ for $, time for time the cheap module is by far and way the best buy.
A further condition exists that i always carry a spare module. So i carry a spare $20 module, not a spare $100 module. It's there when i need it!!!!!!

"Get what u pay for" is just another one of the many old sayings that 90% of the time fails miserably. Quite often, one gets alot more for what they DON'T pay for.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Take for example the following C'list ad:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/2041091344.html

I'm tempted to buy it. A comparable NAME BRAND such as Hien Warner or Grey would probably be $800 to $1200.

The question is: how long will it hold up to weekly use before it fails??? Who knows but i doubt that it will last more than a year at the max.

I had to laugh when i asked the seller "What brand is it" and he replied "It is no particular brand". The manufacturer won't even put their name on it.

3K pounds capacity. I don't see that on the lable anywhere.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Probably bought at Harbor Freight.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 22:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved