Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: JD's 1949 Custom Speedometer Dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I disassembled the speedometer and here's what I found. It's pretty obvious that this is toast. The whole mechanism that the pointer is attached to has a range of motion that can't be correct (it wobbles and touches the spinning magnet mechanism. The spring has been completely destroyed. I'm looking for a replacement.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.80 KB)
188_4feb5c5eda596.jpg 864X576 px

Posted on: 2012/6/27 14:17
 Top  Print 

Re: JD's 1949 Custom Speedometer Dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Well, this just keeps getting better. I have a chance to get a speedometer that works... but the odometer/trip meter may not work. I decided to test my speedometer to ensure that I have a valid working odometer/trip meter. I used a drill which I set for reverse (remove) and started it spinning. There was no action on the odometer/trip meter whatsoever. I then proceeded to fully disassemble the speedometer and pulled out the worm/transition gear. Apparently what I thought was an over zealous application of graphite was actually a pile of metal filings and grease. The worm gear is shot. This means the only 'good' parts from my existing speedometer are the mileage wheels, one gear and the reset cable (except the knurled knob flung itself across the garage and is now in hiding).

It's 102 outside so I think I'll just open a cold beer and not think about speedometers for a while

Attach file:

jpg  (46.56 KB)
188_4fee1da789d89.jpg 1140X769 px

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:27
 Top  Print 

Re: JD's 1949 Custom
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I think I've located a speedometer that has the MPH, Odometer, and Trip Odometer working. I'll report back when I get it.

I should have labeled this thread "JD's Garage" but who knew I'd end up with 3 Packards. My current short term goal is to get the '49 road worthy. I've fixed the lack of brakes and have started checking out the engine. The plugs were obviously pretty old and the electrodes were very black and sooty (running too rich I assume). I replaced the plugs (AC M8). The carburetor needed a re-build so I "borrowed" a re-built carburetor from the '41 and installed it. I just got the engine running for about a minute when the fuel pump let go and started squirting gas on the floor (the '49 does not have a backup electric fuel pump). I pulled the fuel pump and "borrowed" the fuel pump from the '41. It turned out to be in similar shape so... I sent both pumps off to Arthur Gould and ordered a 3rd pump to hold as a spare.

While I was waiting for the pumps to come back, I re-built the '49 carburetor with a kit from Daytona. Yesterday, I installed the re-built carburetor and fuel pump. The engine starts right up but the idle is rough. I'll attach a vacuum gauge tomorrow and see if I can get an optimum
adjustment of the idle screws. I haven't even looked at the distributor, points or timing yet. I will have to drain the oil (which I assume got a dose of gasoline when the pump failed), drop the pan to remove the sludge from the bottom and the pick-up screen. I am determined to get the '49 to at least one local show this year even if I have to get out and push it!

Ah well, one thing at a time.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.69 KB)
188_50047ae0aaf0a.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (48.04 KB)
188_50047b345a3a5.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (49.91 KB)
188_50047b4d3f2fb.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/16 15:37
 Top  Print 

Re: JD's 1941 180 Limousine
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JD,

Looking good. I got a carb overhaul kit from Daytona for my 55 Clipper. I have not used it yet, but it looks to be a quality product.

I have had all three of my Packards flat bedded home FROM shows. Maybe one could think different, and have them flat bedded TO the show??? Beats pushing it.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/16 17:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: JD's 1949 Custom
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Back to the '49 speedometer issue. I received my replacement speedometer. I pulled the gears and cleaned out the petrified whatever that was originally used as a lubricant. I can't get over how different the internals are when compared to the speedometer I took out of the car. The parts manual shows 2 part numbers for 48-50 and I'm sure the two numbers represent the presence/absence of the trip odometer. I thought maybe that one of the speedometers used internals from an earlier or later model but then I saw that both speedometer cases had a 1948 manufacture date stamped on it. Maybe just the internals were swapped out?

I wonder if the supplier (King-Seeley) can change the way they manufacture a part without Packard having to change their part number as long as the complete unit installs without any differences. Few (if any) internal parts will exchange. The odometer reset cable is several inches longer on the replacement speedometer and is sealed to the case with a rubber grommet while the speedometer I removed uses a felt washer as a seal.

Next I need to re-paint the pointer with fluorescent paint and replace the broken speedometer cable with a generic. But not 'till the garage cools down (9:30PM it was still 100 outside).

The speedometer on the left is the replacement for the one on the right. They are really different.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.63 KB)
188_5010c29e88404.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (43.06 KB)
188_5010c2baea6ff.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (62.93 KB)
188_5010c2d022739.jpg 720X480 px

jpg  (42.44 KB)
188_5010c2e70e2b9.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/25 23:12
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved