Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the Autolite number is 3136 which is a 10mm copper core plug but no heat range is given. O'Reilly lists them on their website.

According to some comparison charts Autolite plugs don't directly cross as far as heat ranges to other mfgs but since there doesn't seem to be a lot of options with 10mm maybe finding a hotter plug is not that valid a suggestion. The Autolite website does claim their plugs have a longer reach than comparable plugs so maybe it would be worth a try.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 18:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks HH56 for correcting me on the plug number. I've used these plugs in just about every Packard engine that used 10mm plugs and never felt the need to look further.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Yes sorry I got autolite and they did come from oreillys and they are gapped at 30.

edit: they are 3136 that i'm using.

i'm going to move the number 1 plug and see if the problem follows the plug or stays at number 1.

Posted on: 2017/4/6 19:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Not going to be any kind of family vacation this year, so we are filling that up with car shows around the area.

this last weekend we drove the car it's longest jont. We went to Dallas for the University Park car show.

Lots of fancy cars there. Several Morgans, Ferraris, a Graham, Jaguars, even a Brass era car. Mine was the only Packard and we one first in Vintage Luxury and we got the Chairman of the carshow top pick!

The Packard drew a heavy crowd. We had a great time as a family.

the drive there was uneventful and the car drove 60mph with no issue, well except the stumbling which was remedied by turning on the electric fuel pump.

When we got home put the car up and checked over everything, which is when i noticed the carb was leaking fuel out of the throttle shaft and had been for a bit.

the carb was cracked and jb welded by the place i had it rebuilt at. and i really dont care about outing them at this point since they didn't own up to it and they never got back with me on my proposed solution to what they did.

I believe they broke it when they were rebushing for the throttle shaft. they also reused the wrong screws on it instead of putting in new ones.

Hopefully i can come up with a solution before the Concours in two weeks.

My son wanted me to take him to school in the Packard today and it really sucked having to tell him no due to the problem with the carb. really chaps my hid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6MR_kiCJCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (47.31 KB)
491_58ebc6a79879f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.41 KB)
491_58ebc6d945dee.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (33.96 KB)
491_58ebc6ff4c26e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/4/10 12:56
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you asked yourself why, when the engine isn't running, there is gasoline at the throttle shaft to leak out of in the first place?

The normal performance problem with worn shafts is that they become a source for vacuum leakage; they can only leak fuel with the engine not running if something else if faulty allowing fuel to drain down to the throttle plates.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 14:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is annoying. O_D brings up a point about where it is coming from. If it is actually leaking during operation I wonder if the fuel spray is being deposited on the plates and shaft by the accelerator pump thru the upper jets or during acceleration when there isn't much vacuum and then thrown out by centrifugal force.

Short of finding another base in a hurry which might need another bushing, I wonder if you could do a quickie repair on that one. Drill the end of the crack to stop progression and then using a Dremel to widen and Vee the crack to provide a bit more surface for the JB Weld. Work compound down into the crack as much as possible while forming the top flush to the casting surface.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 14:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
No I didn't ask myself that. I planned on taking it off tonight and looking it over. It does have a lifetime warranty.... but I really don't want to do business with them again.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 14:45
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
not sure, never smelled gas when driving, but when i stopped to go into a store and came out it was hard to start and when we drove off my wife smelled gas and it went away after a bit. then when i got home i noticed the gas all over the intake manifold and splashing on the firewall. and the carb was actively seeping out as shown in the video. so something had to be perculating and burping or bubbling out and down the carb and the throttle plates were closed so it dripped out of the shaft.

i did not notice the problem when we got to the show. it was all dry. i had noticed some dripping on the intake manifold prior to that, but i thought maybe it was a one time deal because i never saw it wet. it was a dry stain. well now i know....it was leaking gas then and whatever was causing the problem went full blown issue now.

DAF has already been paged.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:16
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, it seems to me that its going to pretty difficult if not impossible for liquid fuel to leak from the throttle shaft or a crack in that vicinity when the engine is running. I don't see how the fuel will be able to exit against the air flow being drawn in by the manifold vacuum. To my way of thinking, leakage is going to occur when the engine has been shut down and fuel is being forced out the jets and down the venturi due to a leaking needle and seat and/or a float level set too high, or similar.

I believe the major reason carb shops bush and reshaft throttle assemblies is that the vacuum leak translates into a lean mixture, just as would happen with a leaking intake manifold gasket. That is, air has been drawn into the combustion chamber which HAS NOT passed thru the venturi and hence contains no fuel vapor.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
or maybe trash in the bowl that is sticking a needle open barely. makes not sense though....it has two filters on it. one before and one after the mechanical fuel pump. the one before is the one on the electric fuel pump. the one after is right at the carb bowl.

it runs great when it is driving and it even idles fine when sitting still. so not sure what i expect to find, but i'm going to take it apart tonight and see. i dont really have the time to send it back to them for service, nor do i really care to deal with them again.

I hope it is simple, i only have 2 weeks till the show.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:28
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved