Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 183

Don B, Jimmyk, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 59 60 61 (62) 63 64 65 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Trash in the bowl could not be the problem but it could be the sign of a problem. Any trash in the bowl has already passed through the needle and seat and thus cannot have any effect on flooding. If there is trash then it is getting past your two filters.

Posted on: 2017/4/10 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, tough and disappointing development with the carburetor. I am confident you will find the problem and get it fixed.

Congratulations on the awards, nice to be recognized for all your hard work.

Looking at the photo, you are a brave soul to have both hood panels open at the same time. Surprised they did not fall off.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/10 16:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
took the carb apart. not too bad except a few missing pieces and some questionably installed ones. nothing that would keep the carb from running technically, but it wasn't 100% right. i can tell you that Owen D hit the nail on the head. the perculator valves were not even set remotely close to the indicator lines. they were completely closed at no throttle or engine off. thus....spilling fuel out. that will need to be remedied.

the crack in the base wasn't going to get any worse, or maybe it was....cause i'll be honest i did one crappy job fixing it. i just wanted it to be functional incase i didn't have any other options before the show. the car isn't a 100 point car anyways...so i really dont care if the judges count off.

I went to lowes and bought a bushing and then drilled the hole in the base plate out to fit the bushing. this was no easy task with half of it missing. then i jb welded the holy crap out of it. it seems like it will work. i sprayed carb cleaner on the inside and held it so that the fluid would leak out of the shaft...it did not.

i wont try redrilling the shaft pin, i'm just going to put some thin washers on each end to center the shaft.

it was not clamped down hard in the vice, no damage to the gasket surfaces.

its not pretty, but i wasn't really going for that. i just wanted to give it a quick fix. i got lucky hopefully.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.94 KB)
491_58ece9728bbc7.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (30.90 KB)
491_58ece9788ca0a.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (29.98 KB)
491_58ece9817ae45.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2017/4/11 9:34
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On your vise and using it with finished flanges, see if you can con one of the xray repair guys out of a scrap of 1/8 or even 1/16 lead sheet from an old counterweight. If no luck and your department is doing any remodeling see if there is a scrap of leaded sheetrock available. If not, McMaster and other places have 6x6 pieces for around $10 but then it costs money. Lead works wonders to just bend in a 90 and place it over the jaws. Wood also works but that gets bulky and wants to fall.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
good idea, they will be gutting our old dept soon to remodel for pharmacy....so i bet i can get some lead then.

right now i just use a towel doubled over when i want to clamp something hard.

in this case it was just sitting there drying...it wasn't clamped down. just enough to hold it.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, good job fixing the carb base. I doubt it will be noticeable unless someone is paying especially close attention.

Does your vise have reversible jaws? Mine does. One side is smooth and the other has a grid to better grab. Plus, Craftsman provided a pair of plastic parts to fit over the jaws for really delicate grabbing.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i've never thought about it, I don't think they do, but i'll check when i get home.

the fix....desperate times call for desperate measures lol!

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:36
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well the carb is back together and its not the best. the throttle shaft sticks and I was afraid of that. i'll have to take it back off and drill it a bit to loosen up the shaft some more, but the more I do that the bigger the risk for a leak at the shaft.

when I took it for a drive and left off the gas, the spring was not strong enough to bring it back to idle. had to blip the gas.

good news is it seems that maybe I set the antiperculator valves correctly now as it got it pretty dang hot and when I turned it off...no leaking or spilling out. I looked down in the carb to make sure.

while driving I could hear a knocking noise from the transmission area, seemed to come and go with pushing in and out the clutch pedal. looks like I get to pull the inspection plate and see if something has come loose. it doesn't always do it, but when it does its pretty noticeable.

you know.....one thing after another..its like this thing is hell bent on not going to the show...but dammit i'm gonna get this dang thing running right cause i'll be darned if i'm not gonna get to drive it 1000s of miles or enjoy my first big show!!!!

this really kinda sucks, because the carb wasn't running bad before, just the overflow of gas and the broken piece.

DAF has sent some carb parts, so I'll see what I can make of it all.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 22:34
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i also noticed the metering rods were 75-538 which seems to be standard for a 42 model carter 531s. I don't think this carb of mine is a 366s like it should be. not that it really matters...it worked before it got messed up. I think it is mix and match of maybe a base for a 37 and the top for a 531s....or maybe someone just put in those metering rods on a 366s. idk. but that number isn't standard for a 366s

Posted on: 2017/4/11 23:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Don't drill! Use some emery cloth and just rotate it back and forth. It's almost there and a drill would be too much.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/4/13 9:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 59 60 61 (62) 63 64 65 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved